• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90 Balanced USB DAC Review

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hey there,

What is your opinion on Tripp Lite usb cable vs Supra.

I have been thinking of changing my cable from cable creation to tripp lite. It has ferrite core and without option.

Could you please help me here. Unfortunately I don't have option to buy Supra where I live. But would like to know more.
Just use the shortest cable you can, no need to waste money on a fancy USB cable.

mocenigo

Major Contributor
Just use the shortest cable you can, no need to waste money on a fancy USB cable.

Shortest of decent quality (certified) of you may get dropouts when a device is turned on/off around (happened to me, with a toaster and a mixed in the kitchen - on the other side of the wall - when switched on or off, I got a USB dropout).

bkdc

Forum Donor
This is one long thread. Have anyone using a CD Transport with the D90 or D90 MQA encountered skipping?

pLudio

Forum Donor
This is one long thread. Have anyone using a CD Transport with the D90 or D90 MQA encountered skipping?
It doesn't answer your question but I've tried a Marantz CD6000 KI that had problems with Topping D30Pro (CS8416 receiver) but worked with D90 (AK4118 receiver).

UCrazyKid

No issues with my Musical Fidelity A3.2CD as a transport over coax.

Dclone

I used Cambridge Audio cd transport (reads only cd. No sacd or dvd) with D90 MQA without any problems at all. Sounded really good.

tonapo

I have some options to send an upsampled signal to my D90 iva Roon or HQ Player. Does anyone know when/if the internal oversampling filters of the D90 are bypassed when you go over a certain rate? I know that for my RME ADI-2 on my desktop input rates of 352.8k and over you bypass internal oversampling filters but I can't seem to find this out for the D90. Thanks.

192kbps

Addicted to Fun and Learning
601.4496$

pLudio

Forum Donor
I have some options to send an upsampled signal to my D90 via Roon or HQ Player. Does anyone know when/if the internal oversampling filters of the D90 are bypassed when you go over a certain rate? I know that for my RME ADI-2 on my desktop input rates of 352.8k and over you bypass internal oversampling filters but I can't seem to find this out for the D90. Thanks.
Input sample rates of 352.8 kHz and higher always use the Super Slow Roll-Off filter (called NOS by RME) on those AKM DAC chips.

UCrazyKid

Input sample rates of 352.8 kHz and higher always use the Super Slow Roll-Off filter (called NOS by RME) on those AKM DAC chips.
Super useful to know. Would you happen to know for the ESS9038pro or ESS in general?

tonapo

Thank you. So if I used a filter say in Roon (I have been using Precise, Linear Phase) would that work against the Super Slow Roll-Off filter in some way?

pLudio

Forum Donor
Thank you. So if I used a filter say in Roon (I have been using Precise, Linear Phase) would that work against the Super Slow Roll-Off filter in some way?
That looks like an excellent filter, better than the corresponding AKM Sharp Roll-off. It will work fine. Perhaps it's better to upsample to 192 kHz to avoid the Super Slow aka NOS filter, I don't know.

mocenigo

Major Contributor
That looks like an excellent filter, better than the corresponding AKM Sharp Roll-off. It will work fine. Perhaps it's better to upsample to 192 kHz to avoid the Super Slow aka NOS filter, I don't know.

If you upsample to 352 or 384 with your favourite filter you are essentially getting only that. This is what I do, using the “Goldilocks” parameters from Archimago.

Edit: Parameters here http://archimago.blogspot.com/2018/01/musings-more-fun-with-digital-filters.html

Roberto

Last edited:

mocenigo

Major Contributor
You people hear the differences with filters? Really?
I do not (or no longer, because of ageing induced hearing loss in the treble region). I just use the one that looks more correct to me. But then I listen mostly with loudspeakers and when I enjoy the music I could not care less about “critical listening” — once my system does not distract me from the music it is perfect to me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom