• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90 Balanced USB DAC Review

Gradius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I am pairing the D90 with the THX887, it has balanced interconnects, low noise floor for IEMs, abundance of power, audibly transparent. Another option is the Geshelli Archel Pro 2.5, you can ask some users in this thread how they like its features.

I see. THX would be more than enough.

There are two puppies now (same price):
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=39359

and

https://drop.com/buy/drop-thx-aaa-789-linear-amplifier

I know the monoprice is good:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...thx-887-balance-headphone-amp-new-champ.8942/

Dunno about the Drop one. I haven't read/compared yet:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...easurements-of-massdrop-thx-aaa-789-amp.5001/

Update: monoprice is a bit better.

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
The drop one was made first. Over time the volume knob has some scratchiness at lowest volume from my experience using it, not breaking but just something I noticed. The 887 was made later, with small improvements.

Some prefer the 887's look, some prefer the drop one. 887 knob seems to develop no scratchiness.. but it feels cheaper.

Both sound the same, have identical inputs outputs and settings.

Last edited:

locoliberty

now is it worth selling my D70 for .....

AndyLu

Forum Donor
View attachment 44874

My setup was:
Roon -> HQPlayer(upscale DSD256) -> ADI-2 PRO fs -> AHB2 -> Pioneer S-2EX

Last night:
Roon -> HQPlayer(upscale DSD512) -> D90 -> AHB2 -> Pioneer S-2EX

First Impression:
D90 (DSD512) does have an improvement over ADI-2 PRO fs..
(there is definitely a difference.. I think I can blind test and tell the difference)

One problem with D90 is that I couldn't get 48k x 512 working on HQPlayer..
I have to set it to 44.1k x 512 for it to work.

For ADI-2 PRO fs It works at 48k x 256...

I just ordered the D90, but there are not many reviews online as yet. Do you have any further information after your first impressions? I would like to here them. All info is welcome :)

GeorgeWalk

I just ordered the D90, but there are not many reviews online as yet. Do you have any further information after your first impressions? I would like to here them. All info is welcome :)

I just got mine today. I am running it work. I am using a Dell laptop and a JDS Labs O2 amp to Sennheiser HD599 headphones. Sounds fantastic to me. I am going to compare it to my d50s tonight and use my HD660S headphones tonight. I don't expect any big differences between the d90 and D50s - I am still basking in my confirmation bias. :)

VeerK

I just got mine today. I am running it work. I am using a Dell laptop and a JDS Labs O2 amp to Sennheiser HD599 headphones. Sounds fantastic to me. I am going to compare it to my d50s tonight and use my HD660S headphones tonight. I don't expect any big differences between the d90 and D50s - I am still basking in my confirmation bias. :)
Got mine today too, I’m off because of MLK Day so I got to stay home and run it through it’s paces. No obvious differences over the M500, but it looks so good on top of my THX887. I’m finally done with my headphone setup, D90 to 887 to Focal Elex. Just waiting on someone to release an AHB2 competitor for my near field speaker setup.

Last edited:

Blur

Forum Donor
If it helps anyone else the D50s sounds the same as the D90 and costs about $400 less. I purchased the D90 to feed my Geshelli Archel 2.5 balanced. So if you don’t want or need balanced go with a less expensive DAC.

GeorgeWalk

If it helps anyone else the D50s sounds the same as the D90 and costs about $400 less. I purchased the D90 to feed my Geshelli Archel 2.5 balanced. So if you don’t want or need balanced go with a less expensive DAC.

I am a gear geek. My plan is to use the D50s at work and keep the D90 at home for my system there. I didn't really need it, I know I won't hear any difference from the d50s, but I felt like indulging myself. I started in audio/stereo systems back in the late 70s. The gear and quality of music that is available today is amazing.

Mikechw

Well, I have been running my setup with D90 for more than 2 weeks now.
Just felt that the sound is cleaner, sometimes a little soft to my taste.
It makes me turn up the volume a little more.

D90 will automatically stand by/wake up when my computer turns off/on which is a nice feature (USB input mode).

I noticed D90 gets a little warm after running for a few hours. (My RME ADI-PRO fs was much hotter).
D90 also does not support 48k multiple's DSD sampling rate.

So far not many things to complain about. I am happy with it.

GeorgeWalk

I have been listening to the D90 all night with my Atom amp and HD660S headphone. I have been using it over USB with my Mac and playing Spotify. I will try Tidal later this week. It sounds fantastic. I couldn't be happier.

VeerK

I’m supremely happy with the D90, I really like how it goes to sleep when my PC turns off, and automatically wakes up when I turn my PC on. It’s small, but valuable. Now I’m just looking for a new foobar theme and I’ll be a happy camper.

I will test the Bluetooth function tomorrow, I read someone had an issue with a loose antennae, so I’m going to double check that.

gad

His written review has links with 10% discount code on the D90! Limited to the first 100 units. Grab them while you can.
https://soundnews.net/sources/dacs/topping-d90-review-a-genre-master/
So I ask my brain, brain, is it a good idea to spend $630 to save $140 and my brain says, well you know transparent is transparent and it can be done cheaper, but hey 90 is a bigger number than 70 and even more than 50, so yeah I call Apos and vs. Amazon save 20%. That's 10% dac discount and no 10% WA. state tax, and now I'm done:)

w1000i

Forum Donor
So I ask my brain, brain, is it a good idea to spend $630 to save $140 and my brain says, well you know transparent is transparent and it can be done cheaper, but hey 90 is a bigger number than 70 and even more than 50, so yeah I call Apos and vs. Amazon save 20%. That's 10% dac discount and no 10% WA. state tax, and now I'm done:)
It is the DAC of you life, and you will never buy something after that :p

Mikechw

Play using Roon, it may play dsd 48k multi

Really ? My Roon player is sending dsd64 to HQPlayer.. and if I set HQPlayer to 48k multiples, D90 does not recognize and falls back to 768khz pcm..

I will try upscale directly from Roon tonight.. (48k)

w1000i

Forum Donor
Really ? My Roon player is sending dsd64 to HQPlayer.. and if I set HQPlayer to 48k multiples, D90 does not recognize and falls back to 768khz pcm..

I will try upscale directly from Roon tonight.. (48k)

Try to skip HQPlayer and relay on roon.

q1919

I am a beginner.
I bought D90. I tried it, but it doesn't sound good. The sound in the high frequency area is hard. I can't relax hearing this sound.
I happened to know RMAA software. I measured my D90 using my USB audio interface (antelope amari). I upload the figure which came out by pushing the button of THD. (24bit, 96kHz) I don't really understand the meaning of THD, but I think the peaks at 3kHz and 5kHz are not so small. The measurement used RCA. I live in a place where the power frequency is 60Hz.
Please give me advice.
Spectrum.png

Mikechw

I am a beginner.
I bought D90. I tried it, but it doesn't sound good. The sound in the high frequency area is hard. I can't relax hearing this sound.
I happened to know RMAA software. I measured my D90 using my USB audio interface (antelope amari). I upload the figure which came out by pushing the button of THD. (24bit, 96kHz) I don't really understand the meaning of THD, but I think the peaks at 3kHz and 5kHz are not so small. The measurement used RCA. I live in a place where the power frequency is 60Hz.
Please give me advice.
View attachment 46733
The left and right channels seems to have different level of distortion. The 2k, 3k, 4k spikes are harmonics from 1k.
RMAA send out a 1 k signal to the DAC and measure the response...

The 60hz, 120hz and 180hz peak may be from the power source.. but its at 138db which is not audiable at all.

I have RME ADI-PRO fs at home.. I could do the same measurement for my unit later when I have time.

Top Bottom