• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90 Balanced USB DAC Review

Dclone

This is a science site sir. Having "extremely revealing" speakers is no argument to make such blanket statements. "chip related" or USB cable related harshness? No such thing. Or, you know... prove it.

Hmmm... Concerning the answers above mine, why do You, Sir, choose mine to answer? I was only trying to help. The difference between DX7/S and D90 MQA (or no MQA) is the chip. D90 have AKM series. I am very well aware of this site and its scientific goal but, do read the question!! I, and a couple of other members, answered before you deciderat to comment my answer and try to declare it unapropriate because lack of scientific data. Why? The question was about having balanced or unbalanced connection between D90 and rest of the ”system”, about harshness... and so on. As I said, I was only trying to help sharing my subjective (of course) experiences during several years.... Concerning quality of USB cable? That has been debated several months back and my suggestion to change to a better quality one was, as I read it, appreciated.

Veri

Master Contributor
Concerning quality of USB cable? That has been debated several months back and my suggestion to change to a better quality one was, as I read it, appreciated.
...veils were lifted? sound stage widened? and everyone clapped?

Veri

Master Contributor
No but crackles, loud pops etc disappeared.
Fair enough. I've had optical cables but out at 192kHz transfer but never USB transmission that had pops with one cable and not with another. Is this over longer lengths by chance?

sq225917

Major Contributor
I've never had a noisy usb cable that wasn't fixed by firmware update or a different dac ;)

Dclone

Well yeah, if there's such considerable difference I would think something is faulty, haha.
Regarding USB cable problems You will find the discussion earlier in this thread, and the solution... It was a common problem to hear lot of noise, cracks, pops etc with the cheap cable that was included in the D90 package. Buying a shielded cable with better quality (Supra by Jenving. Modest price) solved the problem for me and several others. You must have read that discussion? Otherwise search this thread for it. Regarding Mac and USB problem it was a FW bug that was solved by simply updating the FW.

Dclone

I've never had a noisy usb cable that wasn't fixed by firmware update or a different dac ;)

Well the cable itself was of course not noisy. The environment and electricity out of the Wall was. The complexity of Your system also is important. The more components the more cables the more magnetic fields. Also the quality of Your computers USB port and the way it is grounded matters. My solution: shielded USB cable 10 meter. Simple and cheap. Search this thread for that discussion if You do not understand what the problem was.

ALex_hha

Could anyone recommend any power filtering/surge protection for A90 + D90 ? Maybe something like Supra Mains Power Distribution Blocks

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well the cable itself was of course not noisy. The environment and electricity out of the Wall was. The complexity of Your system also is important. The more components the more cables the more magnetic fields. Also the quality of Your computers USB port and the way it is grounded matters. My solution: shielded USB cable 10 meter. Simple and cheap. Search this thread for that discussion if You do not understand what the problem was.

10 m USB cable ??
Shielded or not, it shouldn't exceed 3m, otherwise you may loose data and get really freekin strange noise.

I had a lot of D90 failures, till I found out that it was the damn cable that was faulty.
See a former post in this very same thread:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...d90-balanced-usb-dac-review.10519/post-623534

Dclone

10 m USB cable ??
Shielded or not, it shouldn't exceed 3m, otherwise you may loose data and get really freekin strange noise.

I had a lot of D90 failures, till I found out that it was the damn cable that was faulty.
See a former post in this very same thread:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...d90-balanced-usb-dac-review.10519/post-623534

I also thought 10 meter was impossible. But then I found the Supra cables which works Absolutely perfect at 10 meters length. I have both 5 meter and 10 meter Supra USB cables. They are a Swedish brand and designed by Tommy Jenving. I buy my cables through local HiFi store. I know they are available worldwide. There are a reseller in The USA. No loss in performance at all. I can highly recommend these cables. (I have no interest in the Supra or Jenving company at all.) I suggest You try a 10 meter cable! It solved my Problem with listening position 8 meters from DAC and rest of my HiFi system

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I also thought 10 meter was impossible. But then I found the Supra cables which works Absolutely perfect at 10 meters length. I have both 5 meter and 10 meter Supra USB cables. They are a Swedish brand and designed by Tommy Jenving. I buy my cables through local HiFi store. I know they are available worldwide. There are a reseller in The USA. No loss in performance at all. I can highly recommend these cables. (I have no interest in the Supra or Jenving company at all.) I suggest You try a 10 meter cable! It solved my Problem with listening position 8 meters from DAC and rest of my HiFi system

I don't think it's Supra's brand that make it possible.
Otherwise it would mean that they use a "supra conductor" ;)

Otherwise, I always like the light blue colour of the Supra cables and might try what you say some day with 5m.

Decarb

Quick question for everyone who has the D90 and A90 stack. Do you guys notice both units get slightly warm to the touch?

Nicolaas

Quick question for everyone who has the D90 and A90 stack. Do you guys notice both units get slightly warm to the touch?
I have my D90 for 1.3 year and indeed it gets quite warm. I'm using it for many hours nearly every day. Therefore I am considering to drill some holes in the top cover!

auronthas

Yes, both D90 and A90 are quite warm after 2 hours plus. I used to stack them. Now I place them side by side in instead of on three-tier rack for better ventilation.

Top Bottom