• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90 Balanced USB DAC Review

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I just got a D90 MQA and I am returning it, because The Roon Volume control does not work with Roon USB Bridge and Roon (PRE-AMP mode was active). I can choose Fixed or Device volume for the D90 In Roon and the Roon Volume still says Fixed Volume. The D90 physical remote control volume works.

One thing I noticed is that Topping D90 reports the max and min volumes as zero for Roon. So, if you go to the device settings in Roon. the Device Limits Min and Max are both zero and you cannot change them. If I look at my Node 2i Device limits it says Zero for Min and 100 for Max.

Roon DSP Volume seems to work, but then the MQA does not work when I attenuate the volume with the DSP Volume. If I leave it to 100% then the MQA activates.

D90 sounds great, but the usability with Roon is not that good, when I got used the device volume of my previous DAC.
That's the issue with MQA.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I can confirm this, already almost forgot about it. Switch to or from 384kHz and bang. That is why I massively avoid that frequency. Luckily it's not that I really have anything in 384kHz.
Will check on that. Happens on your D90 right?

LuckyLuke575

Forum Donor
If I ever build the ultimate headphone and DAC/AMP combination, then this D90 would be in that stack hooked up with XLR connectors. Very well done to Topping. I'm a huge fan of the brand.

LuckyLuke575

Forum Donor

Toku

Major Contributor
Roon DSP Volume seems to work, but then the MQA does not work when I attenuate the volume with the DSP Volume. If I leave it to 100% then the MQA activates.

D90 sounds great, but the usability with Roon is not that good, when I got used the device volume of my previous DAC.
Not limited to D90 MQA, all DACs with MQA decoders have the same operation.
Although MQA has appeared, it has some problems.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
MQA files sound really good. I was pleasantly surprised, having read all the objections to their existance here.

Wait till you try the DBT ABX volume matched test. It could just all boil down to seeing MQA or masters on the screen makes you perceive sound better psychoacoustically. Remove the Bias and the sonic differences disappear and all the unicorn perceptions disappear

nelamvr6

Forum Donor
Wait till you try the DBT ABX volume matched test. It could just all boil down to seeing MQA or masters on the screen makes you perceive sound better psychoacoustically. Remove the Bias and the sonic differences disappear and all the unicorn perceptions disappear

This is of course possible. But it is also possible that these files simply sound really good, yes? Until there are DBT ABX volume matched tests, both are equally possible. In the mean time, I'm going to just go ahead and enjoy the music.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
This is of course possible. But it is also possible that these files simply sound really good, yes? Until there are DBT ABX volume matched tests, both are equally possible. In the mean time, I'm going to just go ahead and enjoy the music.
There are several proprietary encoding schemes which claim to have the highest fidelity, closer to the original intent of the creators and other assorted claims. The thing to realize however is that plain old boring FLAC files are the original file, and nothing on earth (or any other planet) could be any more accurate than that. The creators of these proprietary formats are simply trying to generate income, whether they are 'improving' anything or not (usually not).

nelamvr6

Forum Donor
There are several proprietary encoding schemes which claim to have the highest fidelity, closer to the original intent of the creators and other assorted claims. The thing to realize however is that plain old boring FLAC files are the original file, and nothing on earth (or any other planet) could be any more accurate than that. The creators of these proprietary formats are simply trying to generate income, whether they are 'improving' anything or not (usually not).

Have you actually listened to any of these evil horrible MQA files? Just curious...

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Have you actually listened to any of these evil horrible MQA files? Just curious...
Yes I have and they sound identical to the non-MQA versions (my DAC has MQA). They are not 'horrible', and I never said they were. My intent was simply that they were no improvement and that a lossless format like FLAC is literally the original unaltered file, and MQA doesn't 'improve' on that.

nelamvr6

Forum Donor
Yes I have and they sound identical to the non-MQA versions (my DAC has MQA). They are not 'horrible', and I never said they were. My intent was simply that they were no improvement and that a lossless format like FLAC is literally the original unaltered file, and MQA doesn't 'improve' on that.

My applolgies, I didn't mean to suggest that you had called them horrible. I have read other comments on these fora that suggest that MQAs are evil incarnate.

I have enjoyed listening to both the flac and MQA versions of quite a few songs, I am glad that I decided to buy the MQA version of the D90 so I have that option.

Last edited:

nelamvr6

Forum Donor
What about the CD quality also sounds very good. Or simply the music is so good. Not the format.

When I've had the chance to sample all formats, where there are high res versions as well as red book, I usually find that I like the high res version better. But more often than not that can be easily attributed to the mastering of a version.

I don't make any claims to being a golden ear, especially not at my age. I'm just really glad that we have so many versions to choose from. And I'm also glad that I can also sample the MQA files when they're available.

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have an MQA capable DAC, and I want that sumbitch to light up when I play tunes on Tidal, lol. Otherwise, I just listen to my ripped library in FLAC . They all sound good to me, but I usually try to find older CD's to rip of the music I like, say pre 1993.

Ntrax

Audio Company
MQA sound the same as flac to me. Maybe 1 day I'll be able to tell the dif.

Top Bottom