• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90 Balanced USB DAC Review

EchoChamber

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I did tin the wire ends as well as the cups on the XLRs. I could also purchase more Neutrik connectors and try making another set of cables. Good practice too. I was wondering how everyone isn't hearing this same issue. Maybe my soldering sucks.
It takes some practice... And you need a decent soldering station and the right size/shape soldering tip, nothing too fancy, something from Weller will do.

joltman

It takes some practice... And you need a decent soldering station and the right size/shape soldering tip, nothing too fancy, something from Weller will do.

I've got the Hakko 888D Digital soldering station. I will admit, it's been many years since I soldered, but I watched too many YouTube videos on how to tin and the fact I'm hearing audio makes me think the connections are fine. And as I said, I've verified that there are no stray wires touching. I guess I feel like I shouldn't have to remove DAC only mode.

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
I've got the Hakko 888D Digital soldering station. I will admit, it's been many years since I soldered, but I watched too many YouTube videos on how to tin and the fact I'm hearing audio makes me think the connections are fine. And as I said, I've verified that there are no stray wires touching. I guess I feel like I shouldn't have to remove DAC only mode.
It could be one of the units that have a defective analog stage. I think the best way to test that is to simply get an inexpensive XLR cable and test if you still have the problem. Then you'll know whether it is related to your DIY cable or not.

burma

All these issues with the MQA are starting to annoy me. I wonder if I would be better off with the regular D90...Besides the updated chipset and the MQA, I wonder if the non MQA D90 is more stable, or whatever. Besides MQA, which I may or may not end up using, is the updated chipset doing anything else over the regular D90? I just wonder if there are more gremlins in the MQA D90 (other firmware will fix, etc.)..

Last edited:

ShiZo

Forum Donor
All these issues with the MQA are starting to annoy me. I wonder if I would be better off with the regular D90...Besides the updated chipset, outside of MQA, I wonder if the non MQA is more stable, or whatever.
Nah, there is no issue. Tidal takes over your dac in exclusive mode and does that behavior with every dac I've ever had.

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
All these issues with the MQA are starting to annoy me. I wonder if I would be better off with the regular D90...Besides the updated chipset, outside of MQA, I wonder if the non MQA is more stable, or whatever.
If you’re referring to the changing sampling rates dance, all dacs I’ve had in the past did the same with Tidal. None of them were MQA DACs. That’s a Tidal app issue.

ShiZo

Forum Donor
It could be one of the units that have a defective analog stage. I think the best way to test that is to simply get an inexpensive XLR cable and test if you still have the problem. Then you'll know whether it is related to your DIY cable or not.
What are the symptoms of a defective analog stage?

burma

If you’re referring to the changing sampling rates dance, all dacs I’ve had in the past did the same with Tidal. None of them were MQA DACs. That’s a Tidal app issue.

Yes, which is making me not want to use Tidal MQA. Mine goes around even more - 44- 48/ 44 then final Hz.

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
What are the symptoms of a defective analog stage?
Distortion could be one of them or random noises. A bad solder joint, a defective opamp, these things can still happen. But I think a dead channel would be more likely. I recently had Audio Technical Bluetooth Noise canceling headphones replaced under warranty because the left channel was making random noises. No DIY cables involved.

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
Yes, which is making me not want to use Tidal MQA. Mine goes around even more - 44- 48/ 44 then final Hz.
Try streaming Tidal through Roon.

UCrazyKid

Not a single hiccup from my D90 MQA used in DAC mode for a loudspeaker set up. Running USB from a Mac or coax from a disc spinner. I downloaded a dozen different file types (FLAC, DSF, MQA) to run it through its paces. Using JRiver to send files at native rates, DSD bitstream, or MQA and not an issue. I would trouble shoot your cables with some store bought and if that doesn’t fix it, ship the unit back for a replacement. These D90’s seem to be solid if they don’t come with a problem or fail right away (like most electronics). Sorry you’ve had a bad first experience.

burma

Try streaming Tidal through Roon.

I'll give it a try. BTW, have you tried Amazon HD? Even in exclusive mode, it always plays 44.1 on Ultra HD tracks. Another buggy app? The only app that seems to work well is Qobuz.

burma

Not a single hiccup from my D90 MQA used in DAC mode for a loudspeaker set up. Running USB from a Mac or coax from a disc spinner. I downloaded a dozen different file types (FLAC, DSF, MQA) to run it through its paces. Using JRiver to send files at native rates, DSD bitstream, or MQA and not an issue. I would trouble shoot your cables with some store bought and if that doesn’t fix it, ship the unit back for a replacement. These D90’s seem to be solid if they don’t come with a problem or fail right away (like most electronics). Sorry you’ve had a bad first experience.

I know the reply wasn't directed at me, but I'm on the fence if I should return the MQA and get a regular D90 instead. The Tidal MQA bug bothers me, and the OCD inside me wonders if this MQA unit is perhaps more prone to strange little things, whereas the regular D90 is more basic and solid. It also has the XU-216 vs the XU-208 in the regular D90, which in theory should be better, but no idea. The return and exchange process can be a pain - maybe I get a faulty D90, etc. Dunno. I may end up not even using MQA in 6 months.

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
I'll give it a try. BTW, have you tried Amazon HD? Even in exclusive mode, it always plays 44.1 on Ultra HD tracks. Another buggy app? The only app that seems to work well is Qobuz.
Yeah, with amazon HD, exclusive mode doesn’t take full control of the os audio output somehow, I had to manually set the rate to match the track which was a little inconvenient... I liked Amazon HD because it had some titles in CD quality that Tidal only had in low res... But I found myself listening less and less to it so I ended up canceling the subscription. I didn’t like the app or the user experience as much as Tidal. I think Roon is still the best overall app today. I should give Qobuz a second chance since it’s also well integrated in Roon.

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
I know the reply wasn't directed at me, but I'm on the fence if I should return the MQA and get a regular D90 instead. The Tidal MQA bug bothers me, and the OCD inside me wonders if this MQA unit is perhaps more prone to strange little things, whereas the regular D90 is more basic and solid. It also has the XU-216 vs the XU-208 in the regular D90, which in theory should be better, but no idea. The return and exchange process can be a pain - maybe I get a faulty D90, etc. Dunno. I may end up not even using MQA in 6 months.
If I had the motivation, I’d get both and compare to see if MQA files sounded any different.

burma

If I had the motivation, I’d get both and compare to see if MQA files sounded any different.

This is what I may end up doing as I still have 3 weeks to return the original. Yeah, try Qobuz. I like that it lists all the details and just works! I'm secretly hoping Amazon may push Apple to eventually get into the high-rez game.

Nybto

Forum Donor
They sound different because the mastering is different, sometimes preferred sometimes not, concluded after careful listening using a Mytek Brooklyn (into Brinkmans to Wilsons). There were no cues coming from extra smoothness or depth whatsoever. (So there does not seem to be too much detriment from all the extra processing and power demands that is required to convert MQA).

Nybto

Forum Donor
I'm hearing some crackles at higher frequencies.
Interesting, I am having a crackling problem too (with D90 and HPA4). I started a thread in the headphone amp section, you will see more details there (now removed though - since checking again). My conclusions are different to yours, but the symptoms sound rather similar..

Last edited:

Nybto

Forum Donor
I'm hearing some crackles at higher frequencies.
I just checked it again. I connected my Geshelli Archel headphone amp, it is there. This crackling is coming from the D90. This is my test track (on Qobuz)(it is clearer on this than the Porter track), and the first time she says "broken" you hear a crackle, and subsequently multiple times. hmm, faulty D90.. I also heard it (the same) at -20db, so not intersample overs either. (on both XLR and RCA outputs).
Screenshot 2020-07-07 at 09.16.27.png

RESOLVED see post 2112 below

Last edited:
Top Bottom