• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping d70s vs topping E50

M00ndancer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Nothing you can hear. Get the one with the features/looks you like/need.

OP
M

mrlongar

which is better in terms of sound quality and sound details--Topping D70s or Topping E50? please help

bravomail

which is better in terms of sound quality and sound details--Topping D70s or Topping E50? please help
I'd get E50 - more recent design and SINAD on both RCA and balanced is very good - 120dB.

OP
M

mrlongar

Somebody posted in the forum e50 has close semblance to the sound of topping D90se

JSmith

Master Contributor
which is better in terms of sound quality and sound details
The question was already answered by @M00ndancer... both are well measuring and audibly transparent DAC's, so simply pick on features you need. Clearly the D70s has more features and connections, also build quality, no external PSU etc.

index.php

index.php

... or is there something specific in each of these reviews that you need clarified?

JSmith

Lupin

Why keep asking the question if you don't want to hear the answer?

@M00ndancer already anwsered it and there is really nothing more than that.

I think you might have signed up to the wrong forum if you insist on discussing "the sound of DACs". Read some reviews, read some threads and you'll soon find out that we on ASR have the opinion that DACs don't have a sound.

kchap

Forum Donor
Nothing you can hear. Get the one with the features/looks you like/need.
Agree. I have a D10B and E50. I cannot tell them apart. The E50 looks impressive, especially when sitting on top of the L50 headphone amp. I also have the L50 :). However I now know for me the D10B is the better choice.

Lupin

The latest chip is always the best....the d70 already 1 year old...AKM chip...E50 ESS 9068 chip!!!
I can only hope you're not serious.. :rolleyes:

NJC

Possibly helpful for those in the market:

As a D70s owner myself, I'll post what I found were useful, albeit subjective comparisons. Per a couple of other reviewers/users from Soundnews/Amazon, they wrote as follows (for anyone else who are trying to decide a good option for them):

1. per SOUNDNEWS:

Thank you for the insightful review Sandu! How would you compare this (referring to SMSL VMV D1SE) to the Topping D70S?

Sandu V. Mod Jonathan4 months ago

Hey Jonathan,

D70S is still smoother, mellower and gentler sounding, making it ultimately more "musical" in a way. It's also slower and lighter on its feet. Its doesn't deliver as much bass energy down low and I don't find it as engaging. For heavy instrumental music (classical, blues and jazz) D70S might be a better option, otherwise I would go with D1SE as a better all-around unit. Plus, its sound color options make a substantial difference and you can tune it to your liking.

2. Top reviews from the United States

SirEliah

5.0 out of 5 stars Jack of All Trades - Master of Some.

Reviewed in the United States on January 11, 2022

Verified Purchase

Outstanding DAC, the hype about this DAC is real. Under a thousand dollars, I think only the Denafrips Ares II, the Topping D70s, and the Schiit Bifrost 2 are on equal footing in terms of value per dollar spent. Compared to the D1SE, the aforementioned DACs aren't better, they're just different. Others have called the D1SE a great 'allrounder' of a DAC, and I would agree - it does everything right, and some things are outright great; it may not be the obvious leader in every segment of performance, but it doesn't have any faults or weaknesses.

A quick comparison:

Denafrips Ares II: Best natural timbre, almost perfectly realistic rendering of acoustic instruments.

Topping D70s: Huge soundstage with great detail and dynamics, all of it very smooth without glare.

Schiit Bifrsot 2: Big Boom-Boom sound, huge dynamics and grunt without any harshness.

VMV D1SE: A bit of all of the above, without any obvious shortcomings. Huge plus: 10 Customizable sound profiles, which add either even, odd or both order harmonics across 3 different levels.

This may help others when buying a unit, be it new/refurb or used. If not for my D70s purchase (and I am happy with it), the SMSL could be an option. Only issue I had with other SMSL/Loxjie models is they couldn't make a solid optical connection as the plug did not fit securely and it kept falling out and other users appeared to have more QC issues with SMSL in the past. Didn't inspire confidence at the time but perhaps thise issues were dealt with.

As to the Topping E50, it gives you alot when compared to the above and depending on your speakers/amp/ears, you may not experience a material difference in SQ. I came from a Lavaudio DS600 which performed very nicely in my system and jumping up several hundred dollars I experienced more/less marginal improvements in the categories I pay attention to given my equipment and listening levels. With better equipment and louder listening and room treatment, the differences will likely be more noticeable. If you listen to more budget equipment and lower /moderate levels, the SQ differences may not be as evident. With the E50, one could improve the SQ by adding a better power supply (perhaps). If you don't need XLR or I2s the E50 is a fine dac and inexpensive, plus it has a matching headphone amp if that's your thing.

I choose the D70s at the time for price (sale), performance and maximum flexibility should I need/act upon it. It matches my amp size-wise well enough and the two work well together (synergy).

Hope this helps.

NJC

The latest chip is always the best....the d70 already 1 year old...AKM chip...E50 ESS 9068 chip!!!
What's that got to due with anything? There are Dacs much older that still hold up and are preferred to many new ones.

Lupin

What's that got to due with anything? There are Dacs much older that still hold up and are preferred to many new ones.
I'm willing to make a bet that he can not hear the difference between the old(er) ESS9028, the new(er) ESS9038Pro and the latest ESS9068 in a properly setup controlled double blind test (using the same filter settings).

Can say what you want but the audiophile marketing machine works more than perfect.. to a point that to a lot of people it takes religious like levels that chips sound different.

Last edited:

JSmith

Master Contributor
No coment.
In this video he refers to a "Sith Audio audiophile sander" for almost $2K, but I cannot find this product... was he joking or serious? Was hoping to post same in the audio humour thread... imagine, a specific sander for removing sharp edges off audio products. :facepalm:

JSmith

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Possibly helpful for those in the market:

As a D70s owner myself, I'll post what I found were useful, albeit subjective comparisons. Per a couple of other reviewers/users from Soundnews/Amazon, they wrote as follows (for anyone else who are trying to decide a good option for them):

1. per SOUNDNEWS:

Thank you for the insightful review Sandu! How would you compare this (referring to SMSL VMV D1SE) to the Topping D70S?

Sandu V. Mod Jonathan4 months ago

Hey Jonathan,

D70S is still smoother, mellower and gentler sounding, making it ultimately more "musical" in a way. It's also slower and lighter on its feet. Its doesn't deliver as much bass energy down low and I don't find it as engaging. For heavy instrumental music (classical, blues and jazz) D70S might be a better option, otherwise I would go with D1SE as a better all-around unit. Plus, its sound color options make a substantial difference and you can tune it to your liking.

2. Top reviews from the United States

SirEliah

5.0 out of 5 stars Jack of All Trades - Master of Some.

Reviewed in the United States on January 11, 2022

Verified Purchase

Outstanding DAC, the hype about this DAC is real. Under a thousand dollars, I think only the Denafrips Ares II, the Topping D70s, and the Schiit Bifrost 2 are on equal footing in terms of value per dollar spent. Compared to the D1SE, the aforementioned DACs aren't better, they're just different. Others have called the D1SE a great 'allrounder' of a DAC, and I would agree - it does everything right, and some things are outright great; it may not be the obvious leader in every segment of performance, but it doesn't have any faults or weaknesses.

A quick comparison:

Denafrips Ares II: Best natural timbre, almost perfectly realistic rendering of acoustic instruments.

Topping D70s: Huge soundstage with great detail and dynamics, all of it very smooth without glare.

Schiit Bifrsot 2: Big Boom-Boom sound, huge dynamics and grunt without any harshness.

VMV D1SE: A bit of all of the above, without any obvious shortcomings. Huge plus: 10 Customizable sound profiles, which add either even, odd or both order harmonics across 3 different levels.

This may help others when buying a unit, be it new/refurb or used. If not for my D70s purchase (and I am happy with it), the SMSL could be an option. Only issue I had with other SMSL/Loxjie models is they couldn't make a solid optical connection as the plug did not fit securely and it kept falling out and other users appeared to have more QC issues with SMSL in the past. Didn't inspire confidence at the time but perhaps thise issues were dealt with.

As to the Topping E50, it gives you alot when compared to the above and depending on your speakers/amp/ears, you may not experience a material difference in SQ. I came from a Lavaudio DS600 which performed very nicely in my system and jumping up several hundred dollars I experienced more/less marginal improvements in the categories I pay attention to given my equipment and listening levels. With better equipment and louder listening and room treatment, the differences will likely be more noticeable. If you listen to more budget equipment and lower /moderate levels, the SQ differences may not be as evident. With the E50, one could improve the SQ by adding a better power supply (perhaps). If you don't need XLR or I2s the E50 is a fine dac and inexpensive, plus it has a matching headphone amp if that's your thing.

I choose the D70s at the time for price (sale), performance and maximum flexibility should I need/act upon it. It matches my amp size-wise well enough and the two work well together (synergy).

Hope this helps.

Not remotely helpful. That is not how we do things here. Those subjective wordy descriptions of sound difference between well measuring dacs (slower and lighter on its feet ffs) are fantasy and only help to delude the unwary.

Don927

Why keep asking the question if you don't want to hear the answer?

@M00ndancer already anwsered it and there is really nothing more than that.

I think you might have signed up to the wrong forum if you insist on discussing "the sound of DACs". Read some reviews, read some threads and you'll soon find out that we on ASR have the opinion that DACs don't have a sound.
You're not serious are you? If DACS don't have different sounds, why not buy a $29.00 FiiO? They do have different sounds. The variety of designs can sound quite different. Ever listened to an R-2R DAC?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
You're not serious are you? If DACS don't have different sounds, why not buy a $29.00 FiiO? They do have different sounds. The variety of designs can sound quite different. Ever listened to an R-2R DAC?
Add "well measuring" to the front of of the word "DAC's".

Of course if you design a piece of junk with wobbly frequency response with built in distortion and noise generator, then it will have a sound - a bad one. Though that doesn't stop some people liking the sound of these monstrosities.

Any DAC with flat frequency response, and inaudible noise and distortion will sound the same as any other with equally inaudible flaws. Dacs have been a solved problem for many years. There are plenty of dacs on the market at all price points that are audibly perfect. These will all sound alike.

Lupin

I'm very serious.
Up to this moment I have read, seen and heard hundreds of claims from people who say the difference between DAC "X" and DAC "Y" is night and day bla bla bla
Yet I have not seen a single shred of actual proof in all those years from anyone. Why is that? Why is nobody able to provide some proof while they claim the difference is so obvious and easy to hear...?

But let me guess.. you're another special snowflake who "can" hear the difference between two properly functioning DACs.
Come with actual proof and I will be the first to admit I'm wrong.. until then these baseless and empty claims are just utterly boring and not worth anyone's time.

Top Bottom