• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D70s vs SMSL SU-9

vcl0124

Hi All, my first post on the DAC forum. I am setting up a stereo system which I planned to use Raspberry Pi 4 as source to feed DAC with USB. Based on the measurement and budget, I narrowed down to the 2 DAC on the title while I would like to get some insight here before I made the decision.

1. I think their measurement is very similar while SU-9 is ~25% cheaper and I think its smaller form factor. I never see both DAC in person but I somehow always think Topping has better build quality (reliability) based on those internet images. Anyone can share their experience with both brands?

2. I think RPi is Linux based and I see SMSL listed SU-9 as Linux USB compatible but I can't find such information for D70s. Any problem to use D70s (or SU-9) with RPi4?

3. Any small issue that I may need to pay attention with these 2 DAC?

4udio

Hi. I'll try to answer some of your questions and explain why I'm considering buying D70s despite owning SU-9.
First of all, SU-9 has really good built quality and I think that D70s is same or slightly better in that regard so you can't go wrong whatever you choose.
I'm really satisfied with sound signature of SU-9 so I'm gonna keep it for desktop use in combination with Topping A50s. What is really annoying is absence of auto stand by feature. I own Topping D50s and I like that feature the most on that dac. You just turn off source and after some time DAC goes to stand by and when source is active, dac turns on again. Also, you can set display to automatically turn off after few seconds so you can just forget that dac is there. Simple and elegant solution. SU-9 does not have such features and probably will never have. That is the reason I don't like it in my main setup. D70s hits all those targets while having better (imho) sound signature than D50s.
SU-9 works flawlessly with linux (my OS is Kde Neon). I don't have reason to think that D70s will not work out of the box but there are no info about compatibility.
Also, I've wrote several times to SMSL and Topping support team and only Topping team replied every time and no response from smsl at all. It kinda spoils product impression ( very good product in this case).
Regarding sound, I doubt there are any noticeable differences.

OP
V

vcl0124

Hi 4udio, thanks a lot for your sharing! SU9 sounds great (I am OK with the lack of stand by mode) until your last point (the lack of response from SMSL support team). I almost pull the trigger for SU9 but I have to think about it again.

4udio

Hi 4udio, thanks a lot for your sharing! SU9 sounds great (I am OK with the lack of stand by mode) until your last point (the lack of response from SMSL support team). I almost pull the trigger for SU9 but I have to think about it again.
That should not be a deal breaker. I've mentioned it just as a side note. If you buy device from reliable store you could just return faulty unit if you get one. As I've mentioned, sound reproduction is great.

OP
V

vcl0124

I added Gustard X16 into my list. TOTL measurement and I can get it even cheaper than SU-9. By the way, I sent email to both SMSL and Topping to ask them the Raspberry compatibility as a test snd somehow I got reply from SMSL while nothing from Topping yet.

OP
V

vcl0124

I end up getting the X16 as it is the cheapest one and looks like a tank. Waiting for delivery. By the way, I played around with a SMSL M400 in a store yeaterday. Just turn the knob and push the button. It feel more solid than I expected.

Noob

I ended up deciding on the Gustard A18 for the 6v xlr output. With the sp400, it seems I am going to want the highest voltage input I can get. And the A18 seems to give the most voltage at this quality and pricepoint. I would need to probably jump up to Matrix or RME prices to get much higher voltages at these levels of THD+N.

Noob

I end up getting the X16 as it is the cheapest one and looks like a tank. Waiting for delivery. By the way, I played around with a SMSL M400 in a store yeaterday. Just turn the knob and push the button. It feel more solid than I expected.

I like the sound of that. I don't plan on upgrading from the sp400 if it performs the way I expect, so knowing it feels solid encourages me for the long term investment. This is pretty much my end game. I'm not really into the tube sound. I learned through trial and error that I actually enjoy a very clear, articulate, and neutral sound throughout the frequency spectrum. So this should be my permanent setup, hoping that nothing breaks.

Now my only concern is the glass top. I hope it's a thick piece of glass. And well reinforced.

I'm not so concerned about sound anymore as I am the longevity of the gear.

zoqui

No entiendo por qué conectado a la PC, el dac muestra la frecuencia de muestreo y si lo conecta a Android a través de USB, siempre muestra 48 khz, incluso si es otro.

4udio

No entiendo por qué conectado a la PC, el dac muestra la frecuencia de muestreo y si lo conecta a Android a través de USB, siempre muestra 48 khz, incluso si es otro.
Hello, I've used google translate to understand your question. DAC shows sample rate that has been selected in windows settings for that particular device. I'm not sure if android has that as an option or it does everything automatically. I've tried Android phone with my D50s and it behaves as you've described.

zoqui

Instaló la apk usb audio player pro en android y selecionas bits perfectos en apk y ya aparece la frecuencia de muestreo correcta en el dac.
Yo creo que android tiene problemas para codificar audio de alta calidad, no entiendo la diferencia que hay entre pc y android con estos dac decentes.

Kotrmelec

I added Gustard X16 into my list. TOTL measurement and I can get it even cheaper than SU-9. By the way, I sent email to both SMSL and Topping to ask them the Raspberry compatibility as a test snd somehow I got reply from SMSL while nothing from Topping yet.
Hi, Im also deciding between those 3 DACs Topping D70s or SMSL SU-9 or Gustard X-16 to pair with ordered power amp Vincent SP-332 (Input Sensitivity: 1.35 V Input Impedance: 47 KOhm)
What would be the most suitable match, any suggetions?

Kotrmelec

Hi, Im also deciding between those 3 DACs Topping D70s or SMSL SU-9 or Gustard X-16 to pair with ordered power amp Vincent SP-332 (Input Sensitivity: 1.35 V Input Impedance: 47 KOhm)
What would be the most suitable match, any suggetions?
So , Gustard is home...so far from sound part Im pleased, mine only complaint would be for very little screen/small letters and quality built of sound/menu wheel- it has very loose and plastic feel compare to the solid aluminium chassis build.
Planning to do some subjective comparison "golden ear" test in my living room with RME as they got differences in DACs chips...etc

toddverrone

So , Gustard is home...so far from sound part Im pleased, mine only complaint would be for very little screen/small letters and quality built of sound/menu wheel- it has very loose and plastic feel compare to the solid aluminium chassis build.
Planning to do some subjective comparison "golden ear" test in my living room with RME as they got differences in DACs chips...etc

Notice anything different in sound signatures? I'm currently using the DAC on my Oppo 105 and am very curious if an upgraded DAC will bring any improvement..

4udio

I've received mine D70s and I've compared it to SMSL SU-9 side by side. I've planned to do blind test but after first song it was obvious that D70s is better dac. Measurements are ok for both but in reality there is significant difference. I've tried increasing volume when listening songs over SU-9 in hope that louder produces impression of better sound but it was in vain. And I really hoped that SU-9 will be same as D70s. Also, SU-9 adds unnatural "kick" which makes it appear more dynamic but in reality it is not.

Kotrmelec

Notice anything different in sound signatures? I'm currently using the DAC on my Oppo 105 and am very curious if an upgraded DAC will bring any improvement..
Comparing to denon 3500H its sounding more detailed with nice instrument separation and with adding H16 gets more punch to it.

schpuns

Hi @Kotrmelec :)

Could you please share some feedback with your Vincent audio Vincent SP-332 ?
Are you pleased, what are pros/cons and what made you decide for this power amp? I'm also watching at it, hesitating with Rotel 1582 (more watts), and Advance Paris X-A160 Evo.

Kotrmelec

Hi @Kotrmelec :)

Could you please share some feedback with your Vincent audio Vincent SP-332 ?
Are you pleased, what are pros/cons and what made you decide for this power amp? I'm also watching at it, hesitating with Rotel 1582 (more watts), and Advance Paris X-A160 Evo.
Hi schpuns,
its very subjective, no measurement etc…
I like very much how the Vincent is built and the design. Its realy very nice piece of heavy machine. From the sound perspective I can only confirm what some reviews are stating like classic warmth and richness sound thanks to vacuum tubes. and 500W toroidal transformer gives with its 80,000 µF very accurate & powerful sound with deep responsive bass.
Some people are saying that Vincent is comparable cheaper alternative to McIntosh Amps.
I was also thinking about to go with Hypex Ncore or Purifi power amps chips but on the end I decide for classic power hungry tubes and I dont regret it.
With regard to Rotel or Advanced Paris I dont have any experieces at all, so cant compare it. For me Vincent has plenty of power for my home use. I never go about 50% of its max in 25m2 living room.
Cheers!

Top Bottom