• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D70s - Playback goes silent randomly

nimar

Forum Donor
Setup:

Roon -> Pi -> USB -> Topping D70s
AutoOff Disabled
AutoDimming Enabled

Every so often when listening to music it just goes silent. Changing the volume has no impact, and even stopping and resuming playback (from Roon) has no impact but if I cycle sources (from USB) back to USB the sound comes back.

I've not nailed this down to a fully reproducible issue yet but I believe it only happens when playing MQA tracks. As there is no indication if music is actually playing, its hard to know if its a volume problem or something else. My hunch is that there's a bug clearing a buffer used for MQA and by cycling sources it flush's this. I'll try and experiment to see if I can reproduce it more consistently. So far its probably happened 10 times in the last two weeks, sometimes twice in an hour other times not at all for several. I also have a d90 MQA, and it was previously connected to the the same pi that the d70 is and this never happened to it. So feel confident in ruling out the rest of the chain, the issue is with the d70s.

Has anyone else experienced this?

@JohnYang1997 this is likely a firmware bug, are you aware of it?

D

Deleted member 29583

Yes, dropout then re- aquire the digital signal.
Displays the digital format at reacquisition.
Apos has not been very forthcoming.
Waiting now for a response from them.

Noob

Strange. How long did you listen before it glitched? I haven't had this issue, but I wonder if it only happens after a certain amount of time.

D

Deleted member 29583

I see I am in the wrong place.
My issue is with the D30Pro.
My comments are still valid in regard to the D30Pro however.
Sorry for confusing the issue.

Martin Takamine

Has anyone else experienced this?

No.
I've been using the D70 since September 2019 in several different setups.
USB input from either a laptop or DIY PCs and XLR or RCA output to 2 different IAs, an AVR, and 3 different HAs.
At times music has been played for 5 plus hours.

OP
nimar

nimar

Forum Donor
Strange. How long did you listen before it glitched? I haven't had this issue, but I wonder if it only happens after a certain amount of time.
I don't have enough data to confirm to be able to say consistently, sometimes after a few minutes, other times not at all. Thinking more about it, I think it only happens with MQA tracks. And Roon is doing the first unfold into to apply DSP. So Roon sends a 24/96 track and the DAC does the last unfold, and It happens to these.

OP
nimar

nimar

Forum Donor
No.
I've been using the D70 since September 2019 in several different setups.
USB input from either a laptop or DIY PCs and XLR or RCA output to 2 different IAs, an AVR, and 3 different HAs.
At times music has been played for 5 plus hours.

D70s not D70, think its related to mqa playback, before telling me to avoid MQA, its what tidal plays back.

Noob

Ah, that might explain why I don't get this issue. I never use MQA. I hope you get this issue fixed.

OP
nimar

nimar

Forum Donor
Shot a quick video of the issue, you need to open the video to hear sound.

http://torq.obscurity.xyz/tmp/IMG_0951.mp4

IMG_0951.mp4

Moderate Dionysianism

I'm really curious about how this plays out, I was just about to pull the trigger on the D70s + Monoprice 887 stack when I noticed this thread. @nimar, does it happen also when you turn off the initial unfolding in Roon (if it's possible - I'm not a Roon user, but the Tidal app has an "MQA Passthrough" option)? And have you tried to contact Topping about this using other channels than the forum?

OP
nimar

nimar

Forum Donor
I emailed topping yesterday and got a response within 24 hours with a firmware fix, haven't tried it yet. Will report if it fixes the issue.

Edit. Applied the new firmware, working so far will confirm after a little more time that its 100% solved.

Last edited:
OP
nimar

nimar

Forum Donor
I'm really curious about how this plays out, I was just about to pull the trigger on the D70s + Monoprice 887 stack when I noticed this thread. @nimar, does it happen also when you turn off the initial unfolding in Roon (if it's possible - I'm not a Roon user, but the Tidal app has an "MQA Passthrough" option)? And have you tried to contact Topping about this using other channels than the forum?

Didn't try passthrough as I use Roon's DSP functionality for room correction, its possible it was/is related to receiving an already partially unfolded file (OFS vs MQA), but either way the fix supplied by Topping appears to have done the trick.

Other than this small hiccup, the d70s is fantastic and it looks like its solved so I'd say go ahead and get one. I did suspect it was just a firmware issue, just didn't know the correct way to convey this information, as wasn't getting any traction here. But one email to their services, and they had a fix in < 12 hours. Definitely made me more confident in being a Topping customer.

WickedWilly

I had this problem as well as one speaker stops playing. Narrowed it down to MQA files. I can confirm an update to version 5.0 solved this issue.

Noob

Looks like we have consensus on the problem.

Make sure to download the latest firmware after purchasing.

hoangtruongkts

@nimar I have same issues with D70s Mqa playback. My setup : macbook air > Tidal master+ audirvana > usb> topping d70s. I dowloaded V.5.0 firmware update but sometime still silent when playback MQA (( . Can you please share your update firmware file to fix the problem. Thank you!

Noob

@nimar I have same issues with D70s Mqa playback. My setup : macbook air > Tidal master+ audirvana > usb> topping d70s. I dowloaded V.5.0 firmware update but sometime still silent when playback MQA (( . Can you please share your update firmware file to fix the problem. Thank you!

The driver is specific to Windows.

The driver fix should only work for those who run a Windows OS.

Mac users would need a firmware update.

OP
nimar

nimar

Forum Donor
Curious to know what you managed to do with the windows drivers. Will DM you.

Top Bottom