• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D70s - Playback goes silent randomly

hoangtruongkts

@nimar
D70s Firmware upgraded! After 90 minutes of music and switch between MQA and FLAC files on Tidal + audirvana. Switching is very smooth and I'm sure the bug is 100% fixed !! Everything is going as it should be !!! The D70s is a very cool DAC indeed. From Vietnam, I would like to thank you for your help. Wish you lots of health !!!

Daniele57

Good morning @nimar

Not knowing the English language, I write with google translator.

I too have problems playing MQA files with Topping D70s, purchased on March 11, 2021.

My Windows 10 configuration - Tidal Master - usb - Topping D70s, updated to driver V5.0.0

On March 22, 2021, the house sent the dealer a new firmware (1.3) which fixed some problems but still micro-interrupts when playing MQA files.

Can I know if the firmware you received is the same or another one to solve the problem?

Thanks

Daniele

OP
nimar

nimar

Forum Donor
Good morning @nimar

Not knowing the English language, I write with google translator.

I too have problems playing MQA files with Topping D70s, purchased on March 11, 2021.

My Windows 10 configuration - Tidal Master - usb - Topping D70s, updated to driver V5.0.0

On March 22, 2021, the house sent the dealer a new firmware (1.3) which fixed some problems but still micro-interrupts when playing MQA files.

Can I know if the firmware you received is the same or another one to solve the problem?

Thanks

Daniele

The one I got was also 1.3, from around the same time so I imagine it would be the same. But I am running via Linux so don't use the Windows driver and don't know how that would impact things. Also not sure what micro-interrupts means exactly, could be something related to your computer / windows.

Daniele57

Good morning @nimar and thanks for the reply.
Micro interruption (sound reproduction stops, a frequency change appears on the Topping display - from 96kHz which is playing to 44.1kHz and then again 96kHz - and the music resumes) occasionally occurs only with the Topping D70s and only with MQA files.
I also use the ProJect Pre Box S2 Digital which plays MQA files without any problem.
So I think it's a problem with my Topping when reading MQA files.
Anyway thanks again and good listening.
Daniele

OP
nimar

nimar

Forum Donor
Good morning @nimar and thanks for the reply.
Micro interruption (sound reproduction stops, a frequency change appears on the Topping display - from 96kHz which is playing to 44.1kHz and then again 96kHz - and the music resumes) occasionally occurs only with the Topping D70s and only with MQA files.
I also use the ProJect Pre Box S2 Digital which plays MQA files without any problem.
So I think it's a problem with my Topping when reading MQA files.
Anyway thanks again and good listening.
Daniele

Try with a different source? Can use a raspberry Pi, or a phone or a Mac? To rule out your windows computer, mines been rock solid since the update. Am doing playback via Roon / USB from a Pi.

Daniele57

Good morning @nimar.
I have no other solutions for listening tests.
Initially, in addition to the very short interruptions, I also had the same problem as in your post n.9 (video), but with the stop and resumption of playback from the computer everything resumed well.
Firmware 1.3 fixed this problem but not the interruptions in playback.
The dealer has again interested the house but still no response.
Thanks for your interest.
Daniele

Bruzur

@nimar, I would be very interested in the firmware that you were sent as well. As it stands, my "Revision" is showing as, v1.29 (according to the Topping USB Control Panel). I have experienced the random audio loss issue during playback through Roon -> TIDAL as well. However, this does not occur often; maybe twice during all of my listening sessions. I purchased my unit (D70s) around mid-March from Apos.

OP
nimar

nimar

Forum Donor
@nimar, I would be very interested in the firmware that you were sent as well. As it stands, my "Revision" is showing as, v1.29 (according to the Topping USB Control Panel). I have experienced the random audio loss issue during playback through Roon -> TIDAL as well. However, this does not occur often; maybe twice during all of my listening sessions. I purchased my unit (D70s) around mid-March from Apos.

I didn't want to share this file publicly as Topping has not made it public but enough people have asked for it so here you go. Just keep in mind that it was provided by Topping and I take no responsibility for its use. I didn't detect any changes in functionality beyond fixing MQA playback, and they assured me it was just a bug fix for this problem.

You'll need to also download the firmware upgrade tool from Topping, I used the one from the D90 which worked perfectly, you can find a Windows/OSX version here https://www.tpdz.net/newsinfo/396959.html

Just download the firmware tool for your OS and select the attached file.

Enjoy.

Attachments

• D70S FW1.3_210316.bin.zip
    166.7 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:

Bruzur

Just download the firmware tool for your OS and select the attached file.

I appreciate the help!

Already went ahead and flashed the new firmware. I'll do some testing over the next few days and see if the issues with MQA content pop-up again.

I'd imagine that Topping will likely release any improvements publicly in the coming months, especially for new products like the D70s.

gonzoznog

Thanks for the firmware update. This helped a lot. Still not 100%, but much better. Had to reconfigure all the settings both for the DAC and through Tidal.

EDIT: While using MQA files, does the D70s only display the original bitrate of the source material and not what it is "unfolded" to? Steven Wilson's "The Future Bites" display 96kHz while many others say 44.1 or 48 kHz. I suspect the DAC only is showing the source bitrate and not the full unfolded bitrate. Any assistance would be much appreciated! Thanks again!

Last edited:

DeepSpace57

Setup:

Changing the volume has no impact, and even stopping and resuming playback (from Roon) has no impact but if I cycle sources (from USB) back to USB the sound comes back.

This is exactly the issue I had with Sabaj D5.

Gorancho

Good morning @nimar.
I have no other solutions for listening tests.
Initially, in addition to the very short interruptions, I also had the same problem as in your post n.9 (video), but with the stop and resumption of playback from the computer everything resumed well.
Firmware 1.3 fixed this problem but not the interruptions in playback.
The dealer has again interested the house but still no response.
Thanks for your interest.
Daniele
Problem is on win on your pc. I had same problem you describe, interruptions when mqa is played. So i tried my second pc, and no problems. Both run win 10, but as you know it is win afterall. So i booted my pc with volumio, the one that was interrupting playback, and was pleasantly surprised how everything works flawless. No drivers, tidal native or tidal connect from phone to pc with volumio. So topping d70s is top, win 10 is a problem.

xmal

It's an old thread, but I found purchasing a USB-C hub with a faster data plane fixed the issue.

gilijam

I had the same issue with my pi 4b connected to topping d70s. turned out, usb.30 was the issue, when i plugged the cable into 2.0 port, the problem dissapeared.

Top Bottom