• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D70s MQA Review (DAC)

Gerryh

Forum Donor
I picked up an RME ADI-2 FS. Works great (no MQA obviously) and I'll revisit whether I want full MQA unfolds down the line.

ShiZo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
@amirm @JohnYang1997 , does the d70s get hot? Do you think it will be a problem in a stack?

It's my understanding that the d70s has great attentution? So there should be no out of band signals.

Last edited:

MeMe

Amirm, thanks for your valuable reviews. I have a question for you: As I prefer to use HDMI for my audio output, does this IIS/LVDS input take HDMI audio? I mean, can it process it correctly? <<< I'm referring here to the AUDIO output that comes out of a Bluray player through a dedicated HDMI Audio output.
Thanks!

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    183.7 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
Amirm, thanks for your valuable reviews. I have a question for you: As I prefer to use HDMI for my audio output, does this IIS/LVDS input take HDMI audio?
It can't. The only format that is understood by DACs like this is I²S (Inter-IC Sound) data. Anything else won't work.

Last edited:

MeMe

It can't. The only format that is understood by DACs like this is I²S (Inter-IC Sound) data. Anything else won't work.
Funny thing is that I was just in a chat with customer support from Linsoul and they said that IT CAN interpret HDMI Audio source.
For me, it's too much money to experiment whether or not HDMI audio works. Frankly, I don't trust customer support juniors.
So I was hoping that someone WITH the equipment can for sure tell me if this is true or false.
Veri, do you own the equipment?

MeMe

Is the Singxer also made by Linsoul?
My suspicion here is the licensing issue about HDMI. Chinese manufacturers are not keen on publishing that they use HDMI when in fact they do.
Linsoul manufactures another DAC-brand named Crescent. There is model EP3Pro that they don't sell directly but through 3rd parties.
On that one, they have no problem naming the connector as HDMI (see image).
So I was guessing that they might do the same with their other brands but just not brag about it.
So it might well be the case that even though the connector is not named HDMI that it does work with HDMI too.

Attachments

• Crescent-EP3Pro-ES9038PRO-Full-Balanced-XMOS-DSD-512-HiFi-XLR-RCA-Bluetooth-DAC-Decoder-Headph...jpg
    Crescent-EP3Pro-ES9038PRO-Full-Balanced-XMOS-DSD-512-HiFi-XLR-RCA-Bluetooth-DAC-Decoder-Headph...jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 175

Veri

Master Contributor
Is the Singxer also made by Linsoul?
My suspicion here is the licensing issue about HDMI. Chinese manufacturers are not keen on publishing that they use HDMI when in fact they do.
Linsoul manufactures another DAC-brand named Crescent. There is model EP3Pro that they don't sell directly but through 3rd parties.
On that one, they have no problem naming the connector as HDMI (see image).
So I was guessing that they might do the same with their other brands but just not brag about it.
So it might well be the case that even though the connector is not named HDMI that it does work with HDMI too.
It's just naming of the connector. You need to check the manual, there's almost no DACs that can decode HDMI audio the way you are talking about. It's pretty much always I2S. Only a receiver could receive and transcode HDMI, or a HDMI splitter intended for such use.

But anyway. Best to check the manual. If it says I2S, it won't work. It'll only work with I2S devices, that is.

nighteagle

So according to the Soundnews review I should disable the preamp function when used with a headphone amp. I Have the A90 and this d70s but have been using it with preamp enabled on the d70s and volume at -1.5dB. I will disable preamp mode then. Will this give me better measurements? Guess its impossible to hear the difference except the volume level.

hamanas

Is it a reclocker Or a resampler? I am not familiar with ESS Dacs, if it is in fact the right terminology, or the terminology they use, does someone knows what it means in this application?

I wish to know the same. Please explain to newbies ;)

domiji

Hello :)

i am consider to getting the D70s and pair it with a A50s (XLR to RCA cables). Do you think this is a good combination or is it just an overkill for the A50s? Or should i just pay a bit more and get the A90?

Veri

Master Contributor

i am consider to getting the D70s and pair it with a A50s (XLR to RCA cables). Do you think this is a good combination or is it just an overkill for the A50s? Or should i just pay a bit more and get the A90?
XLR to RCA cables cannot possibly work the way you want. RCA standard cannot carry XLR signal over such a simple adapter cable. It will have the exact same voltage as using RCA-RCA cable. So you'd gain nothing buying this kind of cable.
You'd need an amp with XLR inputs like upcoming A30 Pro, or yeah, Topping A90.

kkeretic

IMHO overkill unless for some reason you require XLR output for something else. Or numerous inputs the D70s has. Or its look and feel. Also, if you plan to use XLR->RCA adapter, be aware... I have the D70 and tried an XLR to RCA adapter(s). And the thing actually works. But when I change tracks of different frequencies, a louder pop is produced. RCA to RCA works great, but I needed another output. Also have the D50s and both A50 and A50s. Great combo(s) for much less money. To be honest, in terms of sound quality and to pair with A50s, I don't see much reasons to go beyond E30 or D50s. Only for features and look.

domiji

Thanks for your feedback. I've ordered a Gustard X16 instead. Pretty excited how it sounds...

nimar

Forum Donor
Wouldn’t a 5v output over XLR clip when connected directly to a power amp. My two main setups are balanced and as follows.

A. DAC straight into a power amp, thus using the DAC in digital preamp mode.

B. DAC plugged into an headphone amp/preamp connected to headphones/active speakers.

One of these is the D70s, and wondering which will benefit / be able to handle the 5v output better.

My guess would be the d70 into power amp would be ideal, as the digital preamp would lower output to 3-4v at normal listening levels. And the other DAC can run at full 4v into headphone amp. Is that a sound assumption?

wyup

Digital volume attenuation is not the same as a preamp. Yes, it lowers the voltage, but it doesn't sound as well as good headphone amp pre-outs. However reviewers such as Sandu from soundnews noticed D70S works very well as a preamp with speakers.

Top Bottom