• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D70s MQA Review (DAC)

alpha_logic

I got my D70S a few days ago and I could not be more pleased. The sound is just gorgeous, sweet and musical. The build quality and functionality is outstanding.

I do recommend using it in DAC mode with the XLR output. The XLR output seems to sound more interesting/dynamic than the RCA output. So, almost perfect apart from a slightly soft sound from the RCA output.

I have never understood the hype about the Yggdrasil, and the Pontus seems a bit experimental to me and very expensive.

I can see myself enjoying music from this DAC for many years to come.

Same here. The D70s is the first Topping DAC I find satisfactory. I bought two, one for each listening environment in the house. I don't see how this level of performance could be 'improved' upon, or how it could become necessary to buy a more expensive DAC in the future.

MacCali

Major Contributor
IMO D70s is a good bit better. But you can probably find a good deal on the 'older' D70.
Well damn I was just about to buy the Gustard A22, and I dont know I feel like that unit at that price performs as well.

I am no pro, and do not understand audio very well. But I understood that the class A stage of that unit can introduce the poorer measurements which are present on that unit. I am guessing that's why it is like that.. it does have dual 4499's which is what I wanted. But I feel like this unit will be more than sufficient.

Point being the price isn't too big of a factor, being that I was about spend almost double that.

I am not sure if you responded to post, but I was debating which dac to get. D90, M400 or A22.. so you guys said just go by looks and I think looks mean nothing to me. I just want to get another AKM dac as I enjoy that dac the most of all the dacs I have heard so far. I didn't know the d70s had the 4497

Veri

Master Contributor
Well damn I was just about to buy the Gustard A22, and I dont know I feel like that unit at that price performs as well.

I am no pro, and do not understand audio very well. But I understood that the class A stage of that unit can introduce the poorer measurements which are present on that unit. I am guessing that's why it is like that.. it does have dual 4499's which is what I wanted. But I feel like this unit will be more than sufficient.

Point being the price isn't too big of a factor, being that I was about spend almost double that.

I am not sure if you responded to post, but I was debating which dac to get. D90, M400 or A22.. so you guys said just go by looks and I think looks mean nothing to me. I just want to get another AKM dac as I enjoy that dac the most of all the dacs I have heard so far. I didn't know the d70s had the 4497
D70s is basically the best 4497 DAC on the market and is IMO very good value. Don't see why one would need anything more, even. If you are pondering getting one I would hurry, once AK4497 are out they probably won't ever be made anymore. And if you don't like it, buy somewhere you can return it hassle free, if possible :)

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
IMO D70s is a good bit better. But you can probably find a good deal on the 'older' D70.
I still enjoy my ancient D70, but am always enticed by the newest DAC so just bought the D10B, which satiated my appetite for a new gadget....for now.

MacCali

Major Contributor
D70s is basically the best 4497 DAC on the market and is IMO very good value. Don't see why one would need anything more, even. If you are pondering getting one I would hurry, once AK4497 are out they probably won't ever be made anymore. And if you don't like it, buy somewhere you can return it hassle free, if possible :)
Yes, I am fully aware. I am going to purchase very soon, mutliple sites have it available. Need it for my stereo listening, and my speakers and amp I purchased are basically waiting for a quality dac. One step at a time eh ;)

DHT 845

Yes, I am fully aware. I am going to purchase very soon, mutliple sites have it available. Need it for my stereo listening, and my speakers and amp I purchased are basically waiting for a quality dac. One step at a time eh ;)
D70s is the best double 4497 DAC, it's sound signature is musical, full and dense midrange, clear but not emphasized in any way highs (it is not analytical sounding but has great imaging precision). Double 4497 in these days is "dying species" among DAC's for sure...

Soulone

I'm trying to decide if I should go for the D70s or the Gustard X16. Feeding it with a Studio SHD (currently using AES) and XLR out to a Purify Amp. Also important, using Roon.

Sound aside, I'm interested to learn about any known incompatibilities if any, of the two models taking into account the rest of the chain. I like the 5Vrms XLR output of the D70s but if there's a trade off ( Roon, MQA...) I'd give it a thought.

Thanks!

MBL'er

The problem I have is that the SHD Studio does not output USB I think.....

A friend uses a 110 Ohm aes ebu cable from the music server (Bladelius Embla) to the D70S and is quite happy. He preferred the aes ebu connection over usb and spdif (all available on the Embla).

Soulone

A friend uses a 110 Ohm aes ebu cable from the music server (Bladelius Embla) to the D70S and is quite happy. He preferred the aes ebu connection over usb and spdif (all available on the Embla).
Thanks....I'm a bit overwhelmed with specs.....lost to be honest.

If I read the datasheet of the D70s ( that by the way just arrived ) I see the following :

COAX/OPT/AES IN : PCM 44.1kHz-192kHz / 16-24bit
USB IN : the above + DSD+ MQA 44.1kHz-384kHz / 16-32bit

If my Studio SHD does not output over the USB ( only coax/aes/opt) that means no MQA can be processed in the D70s....right ? Not that I have high hopes on MQA but I thought I could give it a try to judge myself.....lesson learnt I guess :(

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Thanks....I'm a bit overwhelmed with specs.....lost to be honest.

If I read the datasheet of the D70s ( that by the way just arrived ) I see the following :

COAX/OPT/AES IN : PCM 44.1kHz-192kHz / 16-24bit
USB IN : the above + DSD+ MQA 44.1kHz-384kHz / 16-32bit

If my Studio SHD does not output over the USB ( only coax/aes/opt) that means no MQA can be processed in the D70s....right ? Not that I have high hopes on MQA but I thought I could give it a try to judge myself.....lesson learnt I guess :(
You already can't do MQA if you do any sort of processing including eq, volume control etc.(before final unfold)

ArR

I got a d70s from amazon few days back but having issue with MQA playback from tidal. The seller suggested to upgrade the firmware to 1.30 which improved the situation quite a bit. with 1.29 playback will stop for 2-3 mins now I have brief 1-2 sec interruption. Anything else that I can try to improve the playback. @JohnYang1997 any take on this?

MisterOZ

I got a d70s from amazon few days back but having issue with MQA playback from tidal. The seller suggested to upgrade the firmware to 1.30 which improved the situation quite a bit. with 1.29 playback will stop for 2-3 mins now I have brief 1-2 sec interruption. Anything else that I can try to improve the playback. @JohnYang1997 any take on this?
Which Streamer are you using? Here with an Rpi4 and Volumio connected via USB it is working great without interruptions.

ArR

Which Streamer are you using? Here with an Rpi4 and Volumio connected via USB it is working great without interruptions.
I have the dac connected to a windows 10 laptop...PCM is working great but MQA playback from Tidal app is getting interrupted

Peternz

I have the dac connected to a windows 10 laptop...PCM is working great but MQA playback from Tidal app is getting interrupted

I ditched Tidal for Qobuz a while ago. Few people still have internet that is so bad that it makes MQA compression necessary.

fokta

just acquired D70s MQA...

Sorry if this question already being asked...
Is the LO 2.5 Volt RCA is default ? or need to setting something ?

Or when LO mode setting to DAC, so the volt will be max which is RCA 2.5 Volt and XLR 5 Volt ?

It will be nice to have any indicator regarding this...

4udio

just acquired D70s MQA...

Sorry if this question already being asked...
Is the LO 2.5 Volt RCA is default ? or need to setting something ?

Or when LO mode setting to DAC, so the volt will be max which is RCA 2.5 Volt and XLR 5 Volt ?

It will be nice to have any indicator regarding this...
There is no indicator. Set d70s to fixed mod or max the volume.

fokta

There is no indicator. Set d70s to fixed mod or max the volume.
1631018520401.png

So when I see in the manual.. only this explanation.. I assumed if switch the LO MODE to DAC, already Max out the VOLT...

Top Bottom