• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D70s MQA Review (DAC)

4udio

and other than that - was it fine ? Was it able to drive Monitor Audio Silver 300 ? о_О As I can see - it's a BIG speakers ))
Well, Yamaha A-S700 is driving speakers. A50s was just preamp section. I haven't had any problems so far.
There is one thing that kinda irritates me and that is volume pot - it has empty movement at first ; knob rotates but it does not affect sound volume. Topping said that it is part of design.

4udio

Mine D70s arrived few days ago. At first I thought that it was defective unit since sound was distorted but it turned out that it has inverted phase and fortunately there is option to set phase to inverted. After that it was real joy listening music reproduced by this nice DAC.

DHT 845

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Mine D70s arrived few days ago. At first I thought that it was defective unit since sound was distorted but it turned out that it has inverted phase and fortunately there is option to set phase to inverted. After that it was real joy listening music reproduced by this nice DAC.
I never heard single distorted sound out of this little gem DAC. I'm glad you're enjoying it now...

4udio

I never heard single distorted sound out of this little gem DAC. I'm glad you're enjoying it now...
It turns out that I'm very sensitive to phase inversion so it was a big problem for my ears. My friend had no problem listening it before I've set correct phase setting.
I'm just wandering, how come some units have inverted phase and some don't?

Soulone

How do you access to that option? Thanks!

gonzoznog

I am still enjoying my D70s. I think it sounds especially good with my Bottlehead Crack Tube Amp and DSD, of course. As mentioned, the best Delta-Sigma chip based DAC I have heard.

Michiel

Would the D70S in preamp mode be a good match with the Icepower 1200as2 modules? (Using the xlr connections to connect both)

I am sort of planning to buy this Dac and use it as preamplifier to drive a yet to build 1200as2 or dual mono 1200as1 amplifier. Is there any reason why this wouldn’t work well together?

Last edited:

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there evidence to suggest that the D70s would be superior at reproducing Red Book CD audio than the humble Schiit Modi 3 as a pure DAC?

I get the difference in other features, but given the S/N limitations of 16-bit/44.1 kHz audio, how could it benefit?

Last edited:

nhs

I'm scheduling return the SMSL SU-9 because of its 3rd harmonic issue and looking for a replacement. The Gustard X16 also has problem with the high DC offset. How about the Topping D70S, is there any known issue with the D70S?
@JohnYang1997: One thing I really like to have is, that your DAC's or pre-amps gears (not only Topping) should offer discrete infrared codes for Power-On, Power-Off and Input-Selection. It is not necessary to have such buttons on the remote control, but the DAC devices should support additional discrete IR-codes for programmable application made by users and last but not least the manufacturers have to publish such hidden discrete IR-codes to their customers too. I think this additional hidden feature does not create much work for the manufacturers but it is very convenient for many users like me who uses one programmable remote control application for all devices.

4udio

I'm scheduling return the SMSL SU-9 because of its 3rd harmonic issue and looking for a replacement. The Gustard X16 also has problem with the high DC offset. How about the Topping D70S, is there any known issue with the D70S?
@JohnYang1997: One thing I really like to have is, that your DAC's or pre-amps gears (not only Topping) should offer discrete infrared codes for Power-On, Power-Off and Input-Selection. It is not necessary to have such buttons on the remote control, but the DAC devices should support additional discrete IR-codes for programmable application made by users and last but not least the manufacturers have to publish such hidden discrete IR-codes to their customers too. I think this additional hidden feature does not create much work for the manufacturers but it is very convenient for many users like me who uses one programmable remote control application for all devices.
There is no issue with D70s as far as I know. With SU-9 I've heard that problem in the right channel but I could not specify what real problem was.
Regarding IR codes, I've asked Topping support to give me ir codes for MX3 , they've sent it to me so that is not a problem. Just ask them.

nhs

There is no issue with D70s as far as I know. With SU-9 I've heard that problem in the right channel but I could not specify what real problem was.
Regarding IR codes, I've asked Topping support to give me ir codes for MX3 , they've sent it to me so that is not a problem. Just ask them.
Thank for your response! Did they send the regular ir codes of the remote control to you or additional discrete ir-codes for Power-On, Power-Off, USB-Input, SPDIF-Coax-Input etc. ?

4udio

Thank for your response! Did they send the regular ir codes of the remote control to you or additional discrete ir-codes for Power-On, Power-Off, USB-Input, SPDIF-Coax-Input etc. ?
Cods are in hexadecimal format because I've asked them for codes for programming my Arduino. It worked for me but I don't know if that is what you are looking for.

nhs

Cods are in hexadecimal format because I've asked them for codes for programming my Arduino. It worked for me but I don't know if that is what you are looking for.
With LIRC and ir-receiver in my raspberry pi, I can read out all existing IR-codes transmitted by the remote control. But I need discrete codes for each respective function. For example, one code for power-on and one other code for power-off.

4udio

With LIRC and ir-receiver in my raspberry pi, I can read out all existing IR-codes transmitted by the remote control. But I need discrete codes for each respective function. For example, one code for power-on and one other code for power-off.
It is the best solution to send them an email. I think they'll share codes without any problem.

nhs

It is the best solution to send them an email. I think they'll share codes without any problem.
There is no problem if they already have implemented it in their gears. But I don't think so. Anyway i'll ask them then if i decide to go with the D70S.

Dallas2122

I have the D70s , and after 200 hours really opening up ,I do want to mention
installing a Synergistic research orange fuse ,500 Ma slow blow fuse
fuse is oriented vertically reading writing Left to Right writing facing down
a very nice increase in detail and depth of image ,several of us put old fuse back and listened for an hour doing 5 x all of us clearly can hear the difference
synergistic fuse took over 200 hours to settle in the owners sheet say 2-300 hours.
I just have a simple $200 Pangea sig,mk2 awg 14 using Cardas best Occ Copper
herbies tenderfeet underneath everything counts , I ha a modded black ice dac, and latest Schiit Yggsdrasil itwas too neutral in my setup . Thenew Topping
D90 SE will have the sabre 38 dac chip , coming out at end ofJune go to Apos Audio I am curious as to $$ price and sonics . So far this new D70s sounds the most natural ,dual AKM 4497s with the fuse have great synergy .
I owned theDenafrips pontus mk2 which was very good ,this is on par the 70s has a bit better detail . and if you order spend the extra $23 for faster shipping I received in 4 days from China,DHL express ,excellently packed.

ALex_hha

several of us put old fuse back and listened for an hour doing 5 x all of us clearly can hear the difference
are you trying to say that fuse has impact on sound quality ?

GiFi

I'm waiting for the new topping D90s. After it i'll decide because the ess chips are cheaper than the akm and i hope in a two chips configurations....

Top Bottom