• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D70s MQA Review (DAC)

ALex_hha

The same is true for the D70s.
I know, so the question is - what do they mean by "fully balanced structure" ? Does D70s has the fully balanced structure too ? I'm a little bit confused

Veri

Master Contributor
"Due to the full balanced structure of D90, it can be output balance and single end at the same time" is just a bad sentence, probably written by someone who knows more about marketing than engineering.

I believe what they mean is, single ended and balanced output stages stand on their own / are separate. Not unlike the Schiit Modius for example. Being 'fully balanced' has nothing to do with this.

nimar

Forum Donor
Sold my D70s today, D90 last week so now all I have to go is an A90 and I am entirely free of my Topping adventure. RME arrives Wednesday.

nekky

Sold my D70s today, D90 last week so now all I have to go is an A90 and I am entirely free of my Topping adventure. RME arrives Wednesday.

Why, might I ask? I heard the D70S was great.

gonzoznog

Again, I'm speaking about my experiences from memory, but I used to own an RME ADI-2 Pro and definitely prefer the D70s over it, sound-wise at least.

liu

Why, might I ask? I heard the D70S was great.
There's nothing can be compared to RME ADI-2 series in the HiFi market. No single product has that unique feature set. It's also at same price tag as premium topping a90+d90 stacks. Moreover, RME keeps supporting their products for a long time. You still get the same software updates (which contain many bug fixes and tons of feature additions) as the the newest devices even if you bought the first generation machine back in 2016. Even Apple do not support their devices that long.

Chinese HiFi products certainly lacks the maturity and technology compared to professional audio manufactures such as RME, UA or Apogee. No I'm not bashing on the former but this is just simple fact. They can't even write their own firmware and drivers, not to say FPGA programming that do fancy DSPs. They just quickly release one product after another, without even taking the time to fix hardware and software bugs in last generations. RME is way more experienced and professional in audio design than Topping --- Topping only learned how to design a headphone amp properly after @JohnYang1997 joined last year. But since the first generation device in 2016, RME ADI-2 series' headphone amp has been based on the same composite topology (or NFCA in Topping's term) that everyone started to know and get fascinated about in this forum just recently. RME just never brag about this technology --- they don't need to. Their product just works.

If you want to try out new devices all the time, Chinese Hifi products are good choice. You buy them, play with them, and sell them in second hand market after a few month, and try another. Wonderful. There are always unpolished rough edges and bugs that never got fixed so you can never continue using it for years. If you want to have a device that just works, close to bug-free, and have long time support, RME is the only option here.

The only downside I see from RME is the cost to fix broken devices is pretty high. Most of the time they just do full motherboard replacement. super expensive. In ADI-2 series, there are a few known quality issues that some people run into, such as opamp burns out or volume knob aging . I am a heavy user so I experienced both of them. With that said, the ADI-2 product line is still much, much more reliable than Chinese Hifi products.

Last edited:

nimar

Forum Donor
Last edited:

ALex_hha

There's nothing can be compared to RME ADI-2 series in the HiFi market. No single product has that unique feature set. It's also at same price tag as premium topping a90+d90 stacks.
at least there is no MQA and Bluetooth support at all

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Bluetooth is not yet as finished a product as USB and SPDIF. SPDIF cannot change much, and USB Audio Class 2 supports almost anything. Bluetooth, on the other hand, is still developed with new protocols and codecs.
When I want to send Bluetooth to a DAC, I add a BC3 receiver outputting optical.

nimar

Forum Donor

Are you saying this a is a pro or a con? I could never understand what bluetooth was doing on HiFi equipment. Use Chromecast/Airplay/other network protocol that are all lossless and be done with it.

mrbungle

Are you saying this a is a pro or a con? I could never understand what bluetooth was doing on HiFi equipment. Use Chromecast/Airplay/other network protocol that are all lossless and be done with it.
I connect an Apple TV on my bedside Dx7 pro. It is super reliable, better than anything else I tried in the past. I often listen to music while having a game in the background. It’s nice to quickly change the audio to the game via remote when I want. On my desk I don’t need the Bluetooth and the RME is perfect. Love both and both are build like tanks with no issues so far

nimar

Forum Donor
I connect an Apple TV on my bedside Dx7 pro. It is super reliable, better than anything else I tried in the past. I often listen to music while having a game in the background. It’s nice to quickly change the audio to the game via remote when I want. On my desk I don’t need the Bluetooth and the RME is perfect. Love both and both are build like tanks with no issues so far

Fair enough, I use the optical out from the TV for the TV. Music over USB / SPDIF.

4udio

I've owned several Topping devices ( MX3, D50s, A50s, P50 ) and had zero issues. I've kept A50s and ordered D70s. Mx3 is at my workplace and it's working without any problems for almost 4 years. Also, having BT seems very convenient to me. I really don't care about MQA and it is not deciding factor when buying equipment.
Conclusion is that I'm very satisfied with Topping products so far.
It would be grate if in future they add triggers to DAC-s and amplifiers since they already have auto stand by option which means dac could turn on/off amp.

Last edited:

ALex_hha

I've owned several Topping devices ( MX3, D50s, A50s, P50 ) and had zero issues. I've kept A50s and ordered D70s.
Have you used any of Topping devices with a speakers ?

4udio

Yamaha A-S700 + monitor audio silver 300 + D50s + P50. A50s was in that chain but it was pain in the a** using it as a preamp ( no remote controll) so I've moved it to desktop setup.

ALex_hha

A50s was in that chain but it was pain in the a** using it as a preamp ( no remote controll)
and other than that - was it fine ? Was it able to drive Monitor Audio Silver 300 ? о_О As I can see - it's a BIG speakers ))

Top Bottom