• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D70s MQA Review (DAC)

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The ideal would be the practical "Eco show 5" with USB cable but I have tried several OTGs also powered but it doesn't seem to work.
Articles on the Internet suggest the USB port is for service or power only, not for connectivity.

Roland68

Major Contributor
I ask for advice from the more experienced.
With the Topping D70s, Yamaha A-S1200 amplifier and Indiana Line speakers, Everything sounds fantastic but, I use an "Eco show 5" connected via bluetooth or my phone with USB connection to listen to Amazon Music HD.
I would like to improve the transfer of music to my Topping;
The ideal would be the practical "Eco show 5" with USB cable but I have tried several OTGs also powered but it doesn't seem to work.
What do you recommend for streaming and making the most of our little gem? ...I was thinking of something like Wiim Mini
Eco Show 5 does not have a usable USB output. For service purposes and network adapters only.
Raspberry (e.g. 4 with 4MB) with Volumio, simple, fast, well proven and future-proof. If you can get a Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W (not the smaller one) cheaply, that will be enough.

By the way, very nice system, the A-S1200 or A-S2200 is also on my list.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
With the Topping D70s, Yamaha A-S1200 amplifier and Indiana Line speakers, Everything sounds fantastic but, I use an "Eco show 5" connected via bluetooth or my phone with USB connection to listen to Amazon Music HD.
What do you recommend for streaming and making the most of our little gem? ...I was thinking of something like Wiim Mini
Wiim mini is a good option to connect to the Topping. Bluetooth is very lossy and you aren't able to extract all the performance of your system using it.

amarsicola

Forum Donor

recommendation from Jimster makes a lot of sense in general, but D70S specifically has a not-so-perfect jitter performance when fed by spdif or toslink, i'd prefer a streamer with USB output.
I would go for Raspberry Pi 4 (60€ + case) and Volumio with either Tidal or Qobuz. As far as i know Amazon is not supported right now. Plus for Volumio is the parametric equalizer (FusionDSP) so that you can correct your room modes.
Or... just a PC will make the deal

MacCali

Major Contributor
My input is not by experience, I own a wiim mini. I typically use it for headphones outside of my listening room. Personally I think my Volumio primo is better. But for my d70s I use an Pi2AES using i2s and it is the biggest jump in performance I got in audio.

If you do not mind a bit of tinkering, the product is phenomenal. But I will warn you that it does not have usb out. But I know a few of the digital outputs are bit perfect.

The Pi2AES has been discontinued but to my knowledge the newest product is even more superior and may have more functionality like usb out. Point being the gentleman who runs that company does have attention to detail on making quality audio streamers. I’m not sure how much it is now but I think with tax and everything it was just a bit more than 200.

Also you can choose your operating system and I personally enjoy the Volumio software as it allows the device to become a roon end point at no extra charge.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
recommendation from Jimster makes a lot of sense in general, but D70S specifically has a not-so-perfect jitter performance when fed by spdif or toslink, i'd prefer a streamer with USB output.
I would go for Raspberry Pi 4 (60€ + case) and Volumio with either Tidal or Qobuz. As far as i know Amazon is not supported right now. Plus for Volumio is the parametric equalizer (FusionDSP) so that you can correct your room modes.
Or... just a PC will make the deal
Very true, these topping devices have bad spdif inputs in general.

A mini pc might be the cheapest option as you can find some mini pc boxes for as low as $80 on ebay or maybe Amazon (new). Used you can find them for $50 or less

Nettuno

Thanks everyone for the help.
For Amazon Music HD I opted to use the Tablet with a USB connection but I don't understand why the display always reads 96KHz even though it outputs 192 or 44.1 from the USB.
Shouldn't the frequency change by virtue of the song?

12f03862-2444-4f4c-8d16-b6c3eb8b8cb5.jpg20534d39-b2bb-4f66-ae5e-e441d44b6284.jpg

staticV3

Master Contributor
Thanks everyone for the help.
For Amazon Music HD I opted to use the Tablet with a USB connection but I don't understand why the display always reads 96KHz even though it outputs 192 or 44.1 from the USB.
Shouldn't the frequency change by virtue of the song?

View attachment 342902View attachment 342903
Only if your audio player software supports bit-perfect output, will the sample rate switch automatically.

Otherwise, the OS will resample all system audio to one uniform sample rate.

Here are a few bit-perfect audio players for Android:
-USB Audio Player Pro
-Hiby Music
-Neutron
-FiiO Music

Nettuno

Only if your audio player software supports bit-perfect output, will the sample rate switch automatically.

Otherwise, the OS will resample all system audio to one uniform sample rate.

Here are a few bit-perfect audio players for Android:
-USB Audio Player Pro
-Hiby Music
-Neutron
-FiiO Music
I tried "Hiby Music" with Qobuz and actually now the Topping correctly displays the Frequency based on the song, allowing bit-perfect on the USB port.
I don't understand why native apps don't allow direct transmission to the USB port.
However, now the sound is fantastic and I don't stop listening to music... it's a disease :eek::D
For my problem with Amazon Music HD in bit-perfect, I opt to purchase the Wiim Mini which seems to be the best solution.

Thank you all for your help

vadwiser

Right now I am using the Wiim Pro and also streaming my personal music through topping M50 and IIS to D70s. Works like a charm.

Nettuno

Right now I am using the Wiim Pro and also streaming my personal music through topping M50 and IIS to D70s. Works like a charm.
Do you know if on Wiim, you can use native App like "Amazon music HD" transmitted via "Alexa Cast"?

vadwiser

Do you know if on Wiim, you can use native App like "Amazon music HD" transmitted via "Alexa Cast"?
sorry, dunno, I have not Amazon music and everything Alexa seems confusing to me (no matter how much I tried and with more than 4 Alexa devices in the house)

Jimster480

Major Contributor
IIS? How did you configure that?

On another note; which filter would you guys choose on this DAC?

Top Bottom