• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D70 DAC

Veri

Master Contributor
Is using balanced have any advantage over RCA when this is hooked up to an integrated amp with balanced inputs but not fully balanced topology?
As long as it has balanced inputs it can take advantage of the common mode noise rejection which comes with XLR. It's a studio standard for this exact reason.

So, yeah.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Measurements on properly designed DAC's are now so good that features, looks and price should be the deciding factor, not a couple of db's of noise and distortion.

typericey

Measurements on properly designed DAC's are now so good that features, looks and price should be the deciding factor, not a couple of db's of noise and distortion.

Indeed. Personally considering this as an upgrade to my D50. I’ll be getting a remote, Balanced outputs, “true” DAC/Pre functionality (D50 switch is too small and flimsy to be a practical volume control) with an option to add a subwoofer via simultaneous RCA out, larger and sexier chassis and last but not least, a larger OLED display.

The biggest question mark is the price because the SU-8 exists. But what if Amirm’s review shows that it is more than just “a couple of db’s” better than the SU-8 beginning with the absence of the IMD hump? We shall soon see.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Indeed. Personally considering this as an upgrade to my D50. I’ll be getting a remote, Balanced outputs, “true” DAC/Pre functionality (D50 switch is too small and flimsy to be a practical volume control) with an option to add a subwoofer via simultaneous RCA out, larger and sexier chassis and last but not least, a larger OLED display.

The biggest question mark is the price because the SU-8 exists. But what if Amirm’s review shows that it is more than just “a couple of db’s” better than the SU-8 beginning with the absence of the IMD hump? We shall soon see.

I have been eyeing the SU-8 for the same reasons.

Inside of D70

Attachments

• topping-d70-balanced-dac-2x-ak4497-xmos-xu208-i2s-32bit-768khz-dsd512.jpg
    topping-d70-balanced-dac-2x-ak4497-xmos-xu208-i2s-32bit-768khz-dsd512.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 772

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
What do you guys think regarding to performance?
Topping has an APx525 audio analyzer which adds its own distortions to the measurements at low levels. I am hoping I can get better results out of my analyzer. The other thing is that they are running at 96 kHz sample rate which can worsen the measurements some.

As it is, what is there is "very good" but not exceptional.

gvl

Major Contributor
The inclusion of the I2S port seems unnecessary, if not in general, then particularly here considering the high-quality internal oscillators and no additional format support over I2S.

Veri

Master Contributor
But does it provide any advantage over USB?
Over USB, no point. When the DAC does no reclocking whatsoever, I2S did a little better than spdif/optical in amirs testing
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/study-is-i²s-interface-better-for-dacs-than-s-pdif-or-usb.7105/page-2#post-161825
Any proper DAC should do fine over USB, and if it has any Altera/reclocking it will do just as well over spdif/optical (otherwise it might do worse depending on the receiver).

In Amirs master list's well-rated DACs though, USB is fine and there is no point getting another device just to input I2S. USB protocol is more than good enough unless your DAC sucks. It's just another audio thing that is being pushed to make you buy unnecessary stuff.

Belgarathian

I'm looking forward to your review, @amirm... Was looking at buying the RME ADI-2 DAC to replace my Chord Qutest (looking for balanced/multiple outputs), but will wait to see how this performs.

Last edited:

typericey

very excited about this one!

Same here. Sure, the SU-8 presents better value but its small display turns me off. And, I know I’ll be speaking rather subjective here, but I am leaning toward the D70 because I want TOTL DAC chips under the hood! :cool:

D70 is also boasting premium parts like Nichicon, AKM receivers etc. Seems a lot of R&D went into it. Waiting for Amirm’s review before I add to cart (and sell my D50!) More importantly, praying for NO BUGS!

To the two guys in this thread who ordered already, please report real world usage soonest!

By the way, out of curiosity, does anyone know of any other implementation of the AK4497’s in a consumer DAC?

Top Bottom