• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D70 broken ASIO?

ZoluX

Hi,

I got my Topping D70 last week, and noticed it immediately, something funny happening with the ASIO driver. ASIO is activated in Foobar and its shows active status in the Topping app, but I can still hear the browser. This didn't happen with my good old trusty Emotiva DC-1.

So I wrote to the support, and they told me the usual customer thing: "The problem is with your computer" (this is the simplified version). So being an engineer and all that, I did some testing with two different PC, and oh boy it's interesting. 64bit or 32bit ASIO doesn't matter. The right frequency displayed on the unit.

How I tested:
Got 3 different spec song from my library: 16/48|24/48|16/44.1 (In reality you only need two: 16/48|16/44.1) (bitrate/kHz)
I started the a song in Foobar and opened up a new browser, and went to YouTube or SoundCloud, and listened (Chrome).
Closed browser and noted the result. (Browser restart required, if not noted otherwise)

The test videos I used (some random songs):
Some random SoundCloud song
Some random YouTube song

Windows set to 24bit/44.1kHz in properties:
youtube song (YouTube is 48khz for sure)
16/48: browser freak out/ no sound from browser
24/48: browser freak out/ no sound from browser
16/44.1: can hear browser

soundcloud song (?khz)
16/48: browser freak out/ no sound from browser
24/48: browser freak out/ no sound from browser
16/44.1: can hear browser

Windows set to 24bit/48kHz in properties:
youtube song (YouTube is 48khz for sure)
16/48: can hear browser (no restart required, feel free to change to 24/48)
24/48: can hear browser
16/44.1: browser freak out/ no sound from browser

soundcloud song (?khz)
16/48: can hear browser (no restart required, feel free to change to 24/48)
24/48: can hear browser
16/44.1: browser freak out/ no sound from browser

Conclusion:
If Windows set frequency equals to current Foobar frequency and 3rd party sound source frequency -> ASIO doesn't work OR works in share mode?
It is an interesting problem, so If you have a Topping D70 or other Topping product feel free to try it out.
On the flip side with WASAPI everything works as it should.

Specs:
Star Destroyer class Gamer PC
Windows 10 1903
Latest Foobar and ASIO driver
4.47.0 Topping driver

Last edited:

Krunok

Major Contributor
Have you set your default windows sound output to built-in audio card?

OP
Z

ZoluX

It's disabled from the Bios. Other sound devices are also disabled. This is the only active sound device in Windows. Also Output device in Foobar: "ASIO : Topping USB Audio Device"

Krunok

Major Contributor
It's disabled from the Bios. Other sound devices are also disabled. This is the only active sound device in Windows. Also Output device in Foobar: "ASIO : Topping USB Audio Device"

I recommend you enable it and set default windows output to built-in audio card so that only Foobar uses ASIO device.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Did you try with Firefox?

I noticed that some DACs work bad with Chrome, some others with Chrome.
My Topping D10 works fine with both though.

Also, with some DACs you need to stop or even close Foobar to hear sound in the browser.

OP
Z

ZoluX

It happens with every media source. Mozilla, MPC-HC etc. The support told me this is the intended "compatibility" functionality... :facepalm:

hadadzhi

In my experience, on both of my ASIO-capable interfaces, DirectSound always worked alongside ASIO. As far as I understand, the ASIO client sets the sampling rate/format and Windows follows that lead (sample rate/format changes automatically in the sound control panel). Then both the ASIO and DirectSound clients stream audio at the same time. I guess that the ASIO driver is responsible for the mixing, just as it would mix streams from different ASIO clients. As far as my understanding goes, ASIO is not about "exclusive" control of the device. It's actually quite the opposite -- the whole point of ASIO is to have a whole bunch of virtual ASIO ins/outs and be able to route them to and from all the clients and physical ins/outs. This is what you would need in a typical studio setup, I imagine.
For reference, my ASIO-interfaces are E-MU 1616m PCIe and RME ADI-2 DAC.

zym1010

Forum Donor
I found that using the latest DSD/Asio plugins for foobar2000 did not work (in my case, some DSD files could not play); using the ones bundled with the Topping 4.47 driver worked.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Set the output device for exclusive access in windows.

kkeretic

I found the same with both my Topping D50s and D70 using the latest Topping driver (4.82.0). ASIO actually works in shared mode for PCM files and exclusive only for DSD. Finally figured out if I set 2 channel 32 bits format within the Topping USB Audio Device Control Panel, and set 32-bit output as an output format within Foobar, ASIO will work exclusively for both PCM and DSD. If I play PCM files then, the Windows output selector will still contain a Speakers (TOPPING USB DAC) option, it will be possible to change volume but the output will be exclusive (no sound from web browser/Youtube...). So the key was outputting in 32bit instead of 24bit, at least this works for me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom