• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D50s worth op-amp rolling?

vadwiser

Hello all, this is my very first message on this fine community's forum. I recently jumped the Topping D50s bandwagon, added also the Topping A50 and the Topping P50 linear power supply. The output is on Sennheiser HD650 with modded balanced 4.4mm cable and Fiio model LB-4.4mm to 2.5mm adapter, besides that I'm also listening on my rather old setup: Monitor Audio Silver 100 (first edition) and Aeron160 (italian hybrid amplifier ). I found the tube warm output adds nicely to the topping 50s rather precise sound. All this being said, I'm interested to found out what do you think about op-amp rolling the Topping 50s or/and the A50 for overall sound improvement. I'm considering the Burson V6 Vivid/Classic Dual on Dip-8 extensions in order to fit the cases. I would need three dual op-amps (even if they come usually in pairs). What do you think, would that be a sizable improvement or an overall waste of money ? Thank you for your kind expertise.

Attachments

• 20200324_152456.jpg
    20200324_152456.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 411

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello all, this is my very first message on this fine community's forum. I recently jumped the Topping D50s bandwagon, added also the Topping A50 and the Topping P50 linear power supply. The output is on Sennheiser HD650 with modded balanced 4.4mm cable and Fiio model LB-4.4mm to 2.5mm adapter, besides that I'm also listening on my rather old setup: Monitor Audio Silver 100 (first edition) and Aeron160 (italian hybrid amplifier ). I found the tube warm output adds nicely to the topping 50s rather precise sound. All this being said, I'm interested to found out what do you think about op-amp rolling the Topping 50s or/and the A50 for overall sound improvement. I'm considering the Burson V6 Vivid/Classic Dual on Dip-8 extensions in order to fit the cases. I would need three dual op-amps (even if they come usually in pairs). What do you think, would that be a sizable improvement or an overall waste of money ? Thank you for your kind expertise.
Most of what you "might" hear will be due to gain differences. Save your money and buy dinner ;)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I wouldnt expect to get many positive opinions on op amp rolling in these parts. Usual comments along the lines of "if the device was well engineered and built, the opamps used will be as good as needed- if not, why spend additional money on it?"

Hard to argue with that. Im sure you would hear a difference, but many would say the difference can only really be a degradation from the stock component.

Veri

Master Contributor
I'm considering the Burson V6 Vivid/Classic Dual on Dip-8 extensions in order to fit the cases. I would need three dual op-amps (even if they come usually in pairs). What do you think, would that be a sizable improvement or an overall waste of money ? Thank you for your kind expertise.
The burson amps are really quite bad for serious audio applications. If you really want to roll op-amp, get some OPA1656 soldered on a DIP. Will it give any audible difference? No. You'd be wasting money, but at least not on silly discrete amps giving one a decrease in performance.

gfx_1

The Aune X8 magical DAC comes with a couple of different op-amps. The D50s has some filter options but I can't tell which one is on.

OP
vadwiser

vadwiser

Neither I could hear a difference between those filters. Not in headphones, so less in speakers, and I was hopping the op amp rolling would be much more relevant but, according to the opinions above, it seems a lot more like snake oil....

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
it seems a lot more like snake oil....

It's like a hobby for some. Some of these changes can certainly make a difference, but if the goal is to pursue the highest fidelity in the electronic chain, changing stuff around because somebody somewhere said it sounds 'better' may not be the best way to go. If someone can show a measured improvement to accompany the claims, that would be interesting...

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Like they imply in that other tread , theres more to op amps and the devil is in the details . changing amp may do more than intended and even if the amp is good the combination with that particular circut can be a bad idea .

And you don't "improve sound" the recording holds the sound (actually digital information about the sound) and the following electronics may bee transparent or make things sligthly worse .

The D50 is very likely to practically present to you whats on the disc or in the file. It may add some hiss and inaudible levels of distorsion , but you are listening to your music

Morpheus85

Look at this thread and see for yourself how much of a difference rolling op-amps makes: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ng-replacing-op-amps-in-topping-d10-dac.4576/

If designer of the device used certain op-amp, it means there is a reason why they picked it. Don't try to be smarter than the person who made the device.
Topping D10 uses the opamp as a buffer. You won't hear much of a difference. The D10 can even be operated without an opamp and there is a sound.

Last edited:
Top Bottom