• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Topping D50s insufficient gain

Blumlein 88

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
please disregard my last post. i was trying to do it by just touching the leads to the jacks on the back of the dac. i finally decided to use an actual rca cable and touch the meter leads to that and now i'm getting more like 1.9v.

with a 0-10db 400hz tone i get .63v at the rca's and 13.65 at the banana plugs that are at the opposite end of the speaker wire from the amp. it seems like all test results are as they should be.
Yes those are just about correct certainly within a db or so.

So, maybe I missed it, but what are your speakers, and what size room is this?

The D50 will at peak signals be able to barely clip the Adcom. Still some music is recorded at a lower level and you might think you want a little more volume than is available. That is a variable. Most modern music is compressed to sound very loud. In any case, you could try using Replay Gain on playback software. That pushes volume up so peaks are near max for every track you play. And Replay Gain isn't going to ruin your music.

In any case, looks like the D50 and Adcom are operated as they should.

Blumlein 88

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReplayGain

Alright at least back before loudness wars, your average level on a CD was maybe -15 db. Some peaks reached close to 0 db. And usually that would be fine. Some times a recording is much lower in level and you'd need some extra gain. It is unlikely all your music fits this definition.

However, if you used say Foobar with Replay Gain enabled, it would boost the level of everything close to, but not over max. Might even slightly reduce some recordings that are over-cooked. If you do this, and still don't have enough volume to satisfy, then I'm thinking your speakers are inefficient or too small for the size room you have.

Now the Adcom is pretty powerful, and it seems unlikely your speakers are this hard to play unless the room is huge.

In any case, your testing has determined the D50s and Adcom have the gain they are claiming to have. You likely couldn't give much more gain to the system or you'd be clipping the amp fairly often. So the question is still why is there too little volume, but the problem isn't with the amp or DAC.

OP
W
Thread Starter #44
All of the streaming services that i have used have a feature that makes the level of all songs equal. It sounds like that's what replay gain does.

My room is probably 400 sq ft with 8ft ceilings and openings to a hallway and other rooms.

The speakers are rated at around 89db efficiency if i recall but actually measured to be even less than that by a couple of db.

The truth is i don't listen at high volume levels regularly and could probably live with the volume that it pays at 90% of the time but there are times that i like to cut loose with some Zeppelin. Black sabbath, Rush ect...

Zenzedi

I installed a D50s and it's alright cutting out on the left speaker then the sound will stop while the my AIMP is playing ... Is the D50s a good Dac ?

Jimbob54

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I installed a D50s and it's alright cutting out on the left speaker then the sound will stop while the my AIMP is playing ... Is the D50s a good Dac ?
Unplug and reconnect everything. If that doesnt sort, use a different source other than the D50, if still get drops, not the DAC. If dont get drops, your particular D50 is poorly.

Top Bottom