• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D50s DAC Volume Control in analog domain?

cdg777

Does anybody happen to know whether the D50s' volume control is "before" or "after" the DAC.
I'm wondering if the volume affects the signal resolution.
thanks.

gvl

Major Contributor
Neither. It is "on" the DAC - uses the DAC chip built-in volume control. I suppose your real question if it is analog or digital, and it is the latter. Unless you attenuate way down below -30dB to compensate for a sensitive amp it shouldn't matter much.

OP
C

cdg777

Unless you attenuate way down below -30dB to compensate for a sensitive amp it shouldn't matter much.

I like the Jotunheim, but in my setup I'm not close to it, so adjusting volume becomes a pain; I'm thinking I can use the D50s' remote for volume, just worried quality may suffer. I'm just a noob, so I don't know whether the Jot is "a sensitive amp" :)

Roberto

Neither. It is "on" the DAC - uses the DAC chip built-in volume control. I suppose your real question if it is analog or digital, and it is the latter. Unless you attenuate way down below -30dB to compensate for a sensitive amp it shouldn't matter much.

gvl,

Can you quantify way down below -30dB?

I rarely use my D50 any louder than -30dB. I have always wondered if I could improve sound quality using less digital attenuation, say with a less sensitive power amp. Or is around -30dB ok?

gvl

Major Contributor
-30dB raises the noise floor to about -90dB. It's "ok", but for hi-res you probably want to stay a bit higher than that. -40dB raises the noise floor to -80dB, etc.

Roberto

-30dB raises the noise floor to about -90dB. It's "ok", but for hi-res you probably want to stay a bit higher than that. -40dB raises the noise floor to -80dB, etc.

I stream from Tidal HiFi. So, maybe it’s nothing to worry about.

Roberto

Unfortunately, my set up can’t decode MQA (some would say fortunately). I’m only streaming Tidal lossless.

So, hopefully I’m ok around -30dB

Top Bottom