• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D50 survives scare

suttondesign

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
My tertiary system feeding the living room and kitchen went down. The d50, about 6 mos. old, would not auto-trigger from roon playback. The d50 receives a toslink input from an airport express. Sigh. Tested the d50 with usb in a different system, and all was good. After various tests to rule things out, the only logical conclusion was that the toslink cable was bad. Really?

I ran out today and got the last toslink remaining at poor Fry’s. Brought it home, plugged in the d50 to airport express, cranked up roon from my ipad . . . wait for it . . . Yes! A $14.00 fix!

Toslink cables can go bad.

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Congrats on your happy ending!

digicidal

Major Contributor
Weird. Although I can certainly understand a plastic optical cable going bad - they're actually pretty delicate (very delicate even, if compared to copper) - I've never heard of one failing without help. I've had a few that didn't survive being coiled and placed in a box for some time, but never once connected and stationary. Too cheap to worry about however, glad that's all it was!

Top Bottom