• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D30Pro Review (Balanced DAC)

Sray

Sounds like it is the PLL that has trouble locking on some digital inputs.
Some locking window problem?
I am no technical person but heard that before.
Don’t know if Topping can explain this.

Toku

Major Contributor
I just bought 2 different DAC D30 PRO and both are providing the same following issues:

• Are is defective connecting with CD PLAYER with Digital Ports (coaxial or optical). The sound come and goes. I tried with different CD players (YAMAHA AS 2100, MARANTZ , JCV) and different audio CD, but the problem persists. It seems like DAC is loosing the synchronism with CD PLAYER.
  • The indicator connection is flashing while connecting with MINISP DDRC 22D (digital) and after few minutes it shuts down.
  • All the CD players work properly when connected to other DAC, the problem is given only when connected to DAC D30PRO
The COAX connection problem you reported is also in the D50 and D50s. I reported this issue to Toppng a long time ago, but unfortunately they weren't keen on solving it.
I think the cause of this problem is a misconfigured signal level on the COAX connection. Since the D30 Pro has exactly the same symptoms as the D50 and D50s, the circuit design of this part seems to be a copy from the D50 and D50s.

Atrox

Is there are a way to put the screen in to sleep mode, or in some way turn of the screen?

Bjoran

Forum Donor
Is there are a way to put the screen in to sleep mode, or in some way turn of the screen?
Manual:
1619201837778.png

ARAJO

Could any owners report back on the digital volume control. Is the speed transition excessive like the D90 ?

alekksander

Could any owners report back on the digital volume control. Is the speed transition excessive like the D90 ?
i'll cover that for You any day now

Makauu171

Does anyone know if the screens that Topping uses in there D30 Pro, D70, D50s, etc suffer from screen burn-in, or starts to fade over time?
For the d30pro, I dont think so, since they use amber display instead of an OLED display

Mulder

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The COAX connection problem you reported is also in the D50 and D50s. I reported this issue to Toppng a long time ago, but unfortunately they weren't keen on solving it.
I think the cause of this problem is a misconfigured signal level on the COAX connection. Since the D30 Pro has exactly the same symptoms as the D50 and D50s, the circuit design of this part seems to be a copy from the D50 and D50s.
So Topping has never acknowledged or admitted that this problem exists? Strange. If it is pointed out, it should be easy for them to either verify or falsify this. Very strange if it is the case that they produce new models that contain the same issue. Is this an issue that could be fixed with a firmware update? Or is the fault in the hardware?

Toku

Major Contributor
So Topping has never acknowledged or admitted that this problem exists? Strange. If it is pointed out, it should be easy for them to either verify or falsify this. Very strange if it is the case that they produce new models that contain the same issue. Is this an issue that could be fixed with a firmware update? Or is the fault in the hardware?
I've provided information on this issue several times, but there is no clear answer from Topping.
It is unclear if it will be improved by updating the firmware.
When I asked ASR members about this symptom, two people confirmed the same problem.

Mulder

Forum Donor
So Topping has never acknowledged or admitted that this problem exists? Strange. If it is pointed out, it should be easy for them to either verify or falsify this. Very strange if it is the case that they produce new models that contain the same error. Is this an issue that could be fixed with a firmware update? Or is the fault in the hardware?
When I asked ASR members about this symptom, two people confirmed the same problem.
I can also confirm it

Venenum Mortis

Hi guys,

I am into the DAC + amp market at the moment. I am probably going to buy the A30pro amp, since it's in my price range and I hear so many good things about it.

For the DAC side of the story I am still thinking between the RME ADI-2 DAC FS or the D30pro. I just wanna know your thoughts about this matter, keeping in mind that I am a music producer. The main use of the DAC and amp would thus be mixing and mastering.

Budget is not really an issue, but I am not gonna lie that the RME is the maximum I would like to spend on a DAC.

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
Hi guys,

I am into the DAC + amp market at the moment. I am probably going to buy the A30pro amp, since it's in my price range and I hear so many good things about it.

For the DAC side of the story I am still thinking between the RME ADI-2 DAC FS or the D30pro. I just wanna know your thoughts about this matter, keeping in mind that I am a music producer. The main use of the DAC and amp would thus be mixing and mastering.

Budget is not really an issue, but I am not gonna lie that the RME is the maximum I would like to spend on a DAC.

Welcome Aboard @Venenum Mortis.

Mulder

Forum Donor
Hi guys,

I have both D30 and RME ADI-2. If you are producing music and you are going to use it for mixing and mastering, then there is no doubt. You must obtain REM ADI-2. RME has a competent headphone amplifier. The D30 requires you to obtain a separate headphone amplifier. RME also has built-in EQ, Loudness etc. Quite simply a lot of features that are completely missing in Topping.

Venenum Mortis

I have both D30 and RME ADI-2. If you are producing music and you are going to use it for mixing and mastering, then there is no doubt. You must obtain REM ADI-2. RME has a competent headphone amplifier. The D30 requires you to obtain a separate headphone amplifier. RME also has built-in EQ, Loudness etc. Quite simply a lot of features that are completely missing in Topping.
Thanks for the advice. One of the only things that is holding me back of buying the RME right now is the fact that I don't know which one has the more linear DA conversion. I know the difference between the RME and the D30pro will be marginal in that aspect I guess. I just want the most linear DAC and amp because that is just what I need. I know my speakers and headphones quite well I think.

Another thing is that I don't know with which DAC the A30pro will pair best, simply because I haven't tried it myself.

devopsprodude

Thanks for the advice. One of the only things that is holding me back of buying the RME right now is the fact that I don't know which one has the more linear DA conversion. I know the difference between the RME and the D30pro will be marginal in that aspect I guess. I just want the most linear DAC and amp because that is just what I need. I know my speakers and headphones quite well I think.

Another thing is that I don't know with which DAC the A30pro will pair best, simply because I haven't tried it myself.
A30Pro will pair well with any modern high quality DAC. Whether you get the RME unit, a Topping DAC, Gustard, Schiit, or any other DAC that has performed well in Amir's tests, they will all pair well with the A30Pro, no problem. If you get the RME ADI 2 DAC, you don't even really need the A30Pro (but the A30Pro is a great headphone amp for the price).

mkawa

Forum Donor
i use the d30pro under my desk for active monitors on my desk so i don't have any issue with the UX problems, but people should be aware that you need an IR extender (i use a fire tv in the living room) if you want longer IR range. i do like the volume selector range though, it's finer granularity than the m400 also under my desk. people should be mindful though, that both of these devices are truly transparent. they literally don't sound any different.

Top Bottom