• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D30Pro Review (Balanced DAC)

Makauu171

View attachment 124247
View attachment 124248
View attachment 124249
Received my D30 pro today from Apos Audio, the packaging is damaged, as if's torn apart by a gorilla. As I inspect further I noticed a scratch on the shell, probably caused by a knife or scissor. This package is obviously opened by someone else in a brutal way, and there's a high probablility that it's a used product. Very disappointed.
Thats's unacceptable, get a refund or replacement right away!

Human Bass

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Mine is flawless. Im glad to finally jump into the balanced bandwagon, there is something very satisfying about clicking xlr conectors.

huxiao20000

Is it possible for the end user to enable "DSD Direct" mode of the Cirrus Logic DAC chip?

Especially for those of us that like to use HQPlayer to convert to high DSD rates and by-pass all DAC chip DSP.

Sray

Is it possible for the end user to enable "DSD Direct" mode of the Cirrus Logic DAC chip?

Especially for those of us that like to use HQPlayer to convert to high DSD rates and by-pass all DAC chip DSP.
Don’t know if set to F-5 filter make the internal routing bypass DSP for both PCM and DSD?

Toku

Major Contributor
View attachment 124247
View attachment 124248
View attachment 124249
Received my D30 pro today from Apos Audio, the packaging is damaged, as if's torn apart by a gorilla. As I inspect further I noticed a scratch on the shell, probably caused by a knife or scissor. This package is obviously opened by someone else in a brutal way, and there's a high probablility that it's a used product. Very disappointed.
This is really terrible!
Can Apos guarantee against a transportation accident?
Chinese distributors such as Shenzhen Audio guarantee against product failures but do not cover transportation accidents.

Mulder

Forum Donor
This is really terrible!
Can Apos guarantee against a transportation accident?
Chinese distributors such as Shenzhen Audio guarantee against product failures but do not cover transportation accidents.
I would never but anything from another country if the transportation was not covered by an insurance. Otherwise I have to cover the economical risk involved myself. That is in my view unacceptable when it comes to rather expensive HiFi.

Mulder

Forum Donor
Still nu explanation or measurements showing what the extra filter that comes with the firmware-update means or do?
F-6 Ultra-fast roll off linear
F-7 Ultra-fast roll off minimum
F-8 Brick-wall linear
F-9 Brick-wall minimum
I find it very poor that Topping do not provide an explanation. I also have an RME ADI. In their forum you always get very detailed information about the Firmware updates.

robpap

My D30 Pro was defective and was eventually returned to Toppng. The shop will let me know if the cause is known.
Can you tell me the first 4 digits of the D30 Pro serial number you received? (feg. 2011, 2012)

Toku san, my serial number is 201155….

I listened (and enjoyed) all the PCM394 files you sent me, with the default D30pro filter, and no issues arised so far.

I also listened the D90, borrowed from a friend, and had no issues.

Instead, a person I know with a D70, had an issue when switching sample rate: with his oscilloscope, he measured a peak if 1VDC on the XLR! He returned the item.

I think it could be a quality control issue… anyway, I have been lucky with no issues so far with the D30pro.

Cheers
-Rob

robpap

I have been listening to the D30pro for a while. I think its sounds reflects its very good SINAD value: it is linear and distorsion free (no issues on my unit), with a balanced sound over all the frequency range. I can hear differences when I make changes.

I also listened to D90 few months ago, borrowed from a friend. Compared to the D30pro, the D90 has a more intriguing middle range, while keeping linearity.

Both Topping DACs greatly benefit from having a weight on their top. I strongly suggest to put something on the top that does not ring: for example, I have an extra stratified glass shelf, and I placed it on the top of each Topping DAC (actually i put also some thick rubber on the bottom, so as not to ruin its feet). The bass becomes more convincing and real. Otherwise the sound is a bit thin for my taste. It is ok with the weight on the top.

For completeness’ sake, someone can wonder how do they compare versus a high end DAC. I own the Merging Hapi, a Swiss precision DAC for pro audio. I can hear details but what really makes a difference, and it is definitely worth its 10x cost, is that with Hapi I can feel the musicians as they were in my room. So measuring is a relevant part of the game, but it does not give the whole picture for getting top-quality sound in your room (and we know that :) ).

-R

I am a happy owner of Merging Hapi. Its transparency is super.
As I like programming, I wanted something transparent to play with.
That's why I looked at the impressive measures of the D30pro.
I hope that I can confirm this during my testing in the next weeks.
I already tried a D90 borrowed from a friend.
I use active monitors ATC SCM50 ASL.
So I will use the D30pro in preamp mode (but initially with near-field small speakers, you know...)

Cheers
-R

File_000.jpeg

Veri

Master Contributor
I have been listening to the D30pro for a while. I think its sounds reflects its very good SINAD value: it is linear and distorsion free (no issues on my unit), with a balanced sound over all the frequency range. I can hear differences when I make changes.

I also listened to D90 few months ago, borrowed from a friend. Compared to the D30pro, the D90 has a more intriguing middle range, while keeping linearity.

Both Topping DACs greatly benefit from having a weight on their top. I strongly suggest to put something on the top that does not ring: for example, I have an extra stratified glass shelf, and I placed it on the top of each Topping DAC (actually i put also some thick rubber on the bottom, so as not to ruin its feet). The bass becomes more convincing and real. Otherwise the sound is a bit thin for my taste. It is ok with the weight on the top.

For completeness’ sake, someone can wonder how do they compare versus a high end DAC. I own the Merging Hapi, a Swiss precision DAC for pro audio. I can hear details but what really makes a difference, and it is definitely worth its 10x cost, is that with Hapi I can feel the musicians as they were in my room. So measuring is a relevant part of the game, but it does not give the whole picture for getting top-quality sound in your room (and we know that :) ).

-R

View attachment 124314
A weight on their top??????? To counter those pesky vibrations??

bru.b

[QUOTE = "Mulder, post: 747720, member: 19515"] Ancora nu spiegazioni o misurazioni che mostrano cosa significa o fa il filtro extra fornito con l'aggiornamento del firmware?
F-6 Arrotolamento lineare ultrarapido
F-7 Minimo roll off ultrarapido
F-8 Muro di mattoni lineare
F-9 Minimo muro di mattoni
Trovo molto povero che Topping non fornisca una spiegazione. Ho anche un RME ADI. Nel loro forum ottieni sempre informazioni dettagliate sugli aggiornamenti del firmware. [/ CITAZIONE]
Still nu explanation or measurements showing what the extra filter that comes with the firmware-update means or do?
F-6 Ultra-fast roll off linear
F-7 Ultra-fast roll off minimum
F-8 Brick-wall linear
F-9 Brick-wall minimum
I find it very poor that Topping do not provide an explanation. I also have an RME ADI. In their forum you always get very detailed information about the Firmware updates.

Ciao, I'm writing from Italy.
Can you please compare the RME and the D30 pro?
Which are (if any) the positive aspects of the Topping?
Thanks.

Mulder

Forum Donor
Ciao, I'm writing from Italy.
Can you please compare the RME and the D30 pro?
Which are (if any) the positive aspects of the Topping?
Thanks.
Topping D30 pro has better measured values, but both Topping and RME are transparent, ie the difference between them is not audible. Topping is cheaper. Otherwise, RME is better at everything. It has features such as DSP for example. It also has two very good headphone output, while Topping has none. It can´t really be compared. RME is kind off a small audioprocessor. Better support. But it costs more.

Last edited:

alekksander

The bass becomes more convincing and real. Otherwise the sound is a bit thin for my taste. It is ok with the weight on the top.
what sort of voodoo is that? if anything this dac should sound bassier judging on the multi-tone graph.

Last edited:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
The bass becomes more convincing and real. Otherwise the sound is a bit thin for my taste. It is ok with the weight on the top.

Uh huh...

x819

I would never but anything from another country if the transportation was not covered by an insurance. Otherwise I have to cover the economical risk involved myself. That is in my view unacceptable when it comes to rather expensive HiFi.

Update:

10-29-32.jpg

Ok, just noticed this. It's not Apos shipped a used item. It's the goddamn customs! Now what do i do? Can I ask US custom for compensation?

Top Bottom