• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D30Pro Review (Balanced DAC)

chocomamey

Didn't know chips have sound .... what about the sound of the rest? As far as I know we have only one sound as output all components included: how can one extract or isolate the sound of one element?

using same audio chain (same amplifier+audio track+speakers etc) ..comparing two differente dacs one may sound deeper,more soundstage,better trebble ,bass etc

Earlxtr

My sub has left and right RCA inputs, so RCA to RCA. This is unusual?
That sounds normal to me. The sub is mono so both left and right will be summed to mono by the sub. In some music, summing to mono can technically create an issue with out of phase sound but in practice I don't think is really going to matter for a sub.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Topping (in the past 24hrs) updated their website and released a landing page for the Topping D30Pro:
https://www.tpdz.net/productinfo/590763.html

Their AP measurements show:
1616702123555.png

1616702133187.png

1616702143976.png

1616702150219.png

1616702157900.png

Specs and useful info:
1616702179278.png

:D

chocomamey

My chips have a sound. Pretty crunchy. They even have a flavor - sour cream at the moment. ;)
call it the "magic of the chip " or even same chip but "differente implementation" . At last the result in sound is different.

raif71

Major Contributor
My sub has left and right RCA inputs, so RCA to RCA. This is unusual?
I see... my sub has only single rca in. I guess it just accepts lfe out of my receiver but if I want to connect the d30pro to this sub, I was wondering whether it's possible to use dual rca to single rca (y-cable)

thegeton

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
call it the "magic of the chip " or even same chip but "differente implementation" . At last the result in sound is different.

If only someone could actually demonstrate this. There is a lot of anecdote along that line, but it seems the differences aren't there any more once some basic controls are in place.

Cc-Mode

Forum Donor
If only someone could actually demonstrate this. There is a lot of anecdote along that line, but it seems the differences aren't there any more once some basic controls are in place.
or may some persons need a specific degree of distortion: The mind is able to translate it to magic ;)

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
or may some persons need a specific degree of distortion: The mind is able to translate it to magic ;)

Sure...just need evidence.

chocomamey

Spectral Graphics and Specs and Not enough....In "down to earth" easy explanation, youtube reviewers try to explain with apples and oranges and
they tell you wether this or that dac model would sound fuller,meater,good or band in trebble/bass/midrange region
and they compare it to other models to let you decide what model and budget suits for you. Numbers and specs of distortion doesnt
tell you at the end if the sound will like you.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Spectral Graphics and Specs and Not enough....In "down to earth" easy explanation, youtube reviewers try to explain with apples and oranges and
they tell you wether this or that dac model would sound fuller,meater,good or band in trebble/bass/midrange region
and they compare it to other models to let you decide what model and budget suits for you. Numbers and specs of distortion doesnt
tell you at the end if the sound will like you.

Unfortunately, most of those reviewers aren't comparing these things in a way that will be actually meaningful.

If a DAC can be easily picked from another, or is described as having fundamentally different characteristics, one is likely broken.

Our host did a video on this recently, and it's definitely worth a look if this seems crazy to you. ;)

Slayer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I started a thread for owner's of the D30pro, probably in the wrong section. So i will just post my question here.
1) Where did you buy?
2) How long did it take to receive it?
3) Do you notice any performance ( issues ) difference when either running in Preamp mode vs Dac mode?

I am curious because i am needing a temporary or permanent replacement for my P5 preamp. I know as usual when i send in for service i will be without it for 3 to 4 weeks. That's just to long for me to be without my music.
My issue with my pre at first was, just the optical and coaxial (spdif) sounded horrible. USB on the other hand is great as well as analog. However in the past couple weeks i have a new issue. I loose the left channel, regardless of digital or analog inputs. When i turn on the unit the left is not there or it will be there then fade out. Powering on and off or switching inputs back and fourth will usually bring the left channel back. So it's becoming a huge annoyance that has to be resolved. Therefor i need something to hold me over, hence my previous questions to you all.

Oddeeo

I started a thread for owner's of the D30pro, probably in the wrong section. So i will just post my question here.
1) Where did you buy?
2) How long did it take to receive it?
3) Do you notice any performance ( issues ) difference when either running in Preamp mode vs Dac mode?

I am curious because i am needing a temporary or permanent replacement for my P5 preamp. I know as usual when i send in for service i will be without it for 3 to 4 weeks. That's just to long for me to be without my music.
My issue with my pre at first was, just the optical and coaxial (spdif) sounded horrible. USB on the other hand is great as well as analog. However in the past couple weeks i have a new issue. I loose the left channel, regardless of digital or analog inputs. When i turn on the unit the left is not there or it will be there then fade out. Powering on and off or switching inputs back and fourth will usually bring the left channel back. So it's becoming a huge annoyance that has to be resolved. Therefor i need something to hold me over, hence my previous questions to you all.

I bought it from Apos audio took a week to arrive. I use it in preamp mode with thx 789 balanced and it sounds great no issues so far. I updated the firmware over usb too. All of the inputs sound great

Last edited:
Top Bottom