• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D30Pro Review (Balanced DAC)

pedros_2005

I don't know if this product is overrated but clearly it's overpriced. For just 60 usd extra you can buy a smsl u 90, and for 99 usd extra a gustard x 16, both with better measurements and more features...

ceausuc

Now that AKM chips are history let's see if Gustard will also release Cirrus based dacs :)

Fish17

The quality will be even worse if they decide to stream MQA only and your DAC is not up for it.

I moved to Qobuz because I thought I could escape the MQA invasion. Lo and behold, some of my favorites on Qobuz turned out to be MQA encoded! Glad both of my DACs are decoders/renderers.
Amazon Music HD doesn't use MQA and is lossless (FLAC).

Last edited:

BigSweeny

I don't know if this product is overrated but clearly it's overpriced. For just 60 usd extra you can buy a smsl u 90, and for 99 usd extra a gustard x 16, both with better measurements and more features...

What's measuring better on the the other DACs you mentioned? I seriously cannot see any perceivable 'real world' difference between them. The filters are different, and better on the others, but if one could actually here that is another thing.

The features advantage appears to be only MQA and bluetooth, so if one doesn't want those features then why pay extra?

kiyu

What's measuring better on the the other DACs you mentioned? I seriously cannot see any perceivable 'real world' difference between them. The filters are different, and better on the others, but if one could actually here that is another thing.

The features advantage appears to be only MQA and bluetooth, so if one doesn't want those features then why pay extra?
ok.. if we follow your "logic" which is ok.
we could almost say the same for topping E30 vs D30 pro right? E30= 150$ vs D30 pro 400$ where are the 250$ of difference? on the balanced? which are the extra features that make it so expensive, again as you mentioned in the " real world " ?

Fish17

we could almost say the same for topping E30 vs D30 pro right? E30= 150$ vs D30 pro 400$ where are the 250$ of difference? on the balanced? which are the extra features that make it so expensive, again as you mentioned in the " real world " ?
This is why I went with the E30 an extra $250 for balanced outputs and slightly better measurements to me was too much.

This is also why I canceled my X16 order.

kiyu

This is why I went with the E30 an extra $250 for balanced outputs and slightly better measurements to me was too much.

This is also why I canceled my X16 order.
I would love to be able to afford Gustard x16, unfortunately, I am not.. basically, if you spent 500 on a dac you need to at least expend another 300$ on an amp, so that would be 800$ + cables 850$ too much.
I found this Xduoo XA-10 combo dac/amp 2*AK4493 nice spects 479$ waiting for Amir measurements.
option 2 , E30 + A50s around 400$

pedros_2005

Exactly, the difference between E30 and D30 Pro is, practically, just the balanced output. Far too little in my opinion. Because of this I don't think I'll change the E30 from anything else...

curiouspeter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Exactly, the difference between E30 and D30 Pro is, practically, just the balanced output. Far too little in my opinion. Because of this I don't think I'll change the E30 from anything else...
It has to be more than that. Frequently, a move to XLR in a new version is a free upgrade.

For example, Mytek Liberty DAC II. Same price.

jdizzle

not saying it's worth $250 but the output selector/multiple outputs is a big one for me.

pedros_2005

Let's be serious, a brand new Topping D50s costs about 250 USD... And it's a very good DAC...

BigSweeny

Absolutely! I’m actually in this exact dilemma right now if I decide to upgrade :)

Toku

Major Contributor
Product specifications and measured values are important comparison items when purchasing, but the most important thing for me is that the product operates correctly according to the specifications. There are too many products that generate pop noise, click noise, or cannot play properly. Buying a DAC is like gambling.
I hope the D30 Pro works according to the specifications.

curiouspeter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Product specifications and measured values are important comparison items when purchasing, but the most important thing for me is that the product operates correctly according to the specifications. There are too many products that generate pop noise, click noise, or cannot play properly. Buying a DAC is like gambling.
I hope the D30 Pro works according to the specifications.
Relay clicking can be considered within specifications. But I don't like it.

Top Bottom