• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D30Pro Review (Balanced DAC)

mkawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
hmm.. so this should be substantially cheaper than the su-9, but has no bluetooth. how much bigger than the a50s is this? i have an a50s right now for my bedroom system with a tempotec 4313 dac and hey, if one 4313 sounds good, why not 4? also, how is the single ended output derived? is it via balanced to SE conversion?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
hmm.. so this should be substantially cheaper than the su-9, but has no bluetooth. how much bigger than the a50s is this? i have an a50s right now for my bedroom system with a tempotec 4313 dac and hey, if one 4313 sounds good, why not 4? also, how is the single ended output derived? is it via balanced to SE conversion?
17.4cm x 13.8cm x 4.5cm
SE is converted from BAL.

Can the SE and balanced outputs be used at the same time? For example, I'd like to feed a pair of active speakers with the XLR, and a subwoofer with the RCA.

jdizzle

From Topping, when I asked about release.

Sorry for the late reply, we have just returned from a ten-day CNY holiday. We plan to release it from the end of February to the beginning of March. But you know, this is just a plan, and we will face many challenges and variables, so I am not very sure that date. But what is certain is that D30Pro has completed its first mass production, so I am sure that it will be released soon.

Rockfella

Forum Donor
@JohnYang1997
Is this a true balanced DAC like the SMSL SU8?

Rockfella

Forum Donor

mkawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
think this is going to be my bedroom dac. hope apos has a preorder discount

Kane1972

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyquist–Shannon_sampling_theorem

If the signal is not band limited to half the sample rate, there is loss of information that can't be reconstructed

I understand that concept, but can you explain something? If we had a filter that cuts off hard at 22.05 kHz when listening to a 44.1 file, what happens when we then play a 24/96 file, will the filter automatically switch to a 48kHz LPF or do we have to chose another appropriate filter?

Kane1972

but yeah 110db attenuation with as sharp a cutoff as you can reasonably get at 22.05k would be an amazing filter to have.

But for those of use using this (or any) DAC with music at 48 or 96 kHz etc, are there filters that are more appropriate? I make music and work at higher sample rates.

PeteL

Major Contributor
I understand that concept, but can you explain something? If we had a filter that cuts off hard at 22.05 kHz when listening to a 44.1 file, what happens when we then play a 24/96 file, will the filter automatically switch to a 48kHz LPF or do we have to chose another appropriate filter?
It should switch yes, but an argument could be made for a smoother roll of at a lower cutoff, in my view.

TheTalbotHound

Forum Donor
But for those of use using this (or any) DAC with music at 48 or 96 kHz etc, are there filters that are more appropriate? I make music and work at higher sample rates.
Usually filter cutoffs change according to sample rate i think. Should be half of the sample rate, so 44.1 goes to 22.05 and 96 goes to 48. In practice though most devices have non filter related limitations to producing sounds above like 40khz or so, since they are made for humans, whose hearing range will probably never go above like 24khz at the absolute highest.

MeMe

I really like the fact that is balanced.
Planning to buy some new components.
I was thinking of the following combo:
D30Pro >> XLR >> Doge 8 Clarity >> XLR >> JungSon JA-99C
Looking for neutrality, detail, and a great soundstage.

Does anybody see a problem with this stack?

Thanks!

sandymc

Isn’t having a volume control on a DAC like having a volume control on a turntable or CD player?

I don’t get it.

There are a number of situations where a volume control on a DAC is useful. E.g., the toslink output on all smart TV's I know is fixed volume. So if you're going Smart TV->DAC->active speakers, that's how you control volume.

Top Bottom