• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D30Pro Review (Balanced DAC)

Labjr

Major Contributor
Are the TRS outputs on the A30Pro designed to be pre outs? Would you have to use a cable with TRS connectors on one end and XLR connectors on the other? There doesn't seem to be a switch on the front to choose preamp mode.

If you're handy with a soldering iron you could assemble your own cables and end up with better quality connectors for the money.

ralph

Thanks for another great review @amirm ! I was first a bit skeptical regarding your youtube appearance, wondering whether this guy lost focus but I did get quite a bit out of it, having you discussing the measurements, thanks for that!

mkawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hmm. 8.40 per in a reel. 4x per unit puts it about half the dac ic bom cost of an ess9038pro. Smsl must buy a ton of 9038pro, but that sound about right? With an su-9 at 460, 300usd for this sounds pretty doable! I wonder if they will switch to cirrus or ess for the inevitable e30s.

typericey

For my purposes as a DAC/pre, this beats the D90 because it has a huge knob and huge volume display.

Is the pricing and release info out yet?

Regarding Amir's channel: first time for me to hit subscribe and a bell even before watching 1 second of the channel's content! My suggestion is to please monetize it. I don't mind seeing ads if it meant that @amirm gets some funds back for all his expenses running the forum.

holbob

it has a huge knob

41B16pWX5uL._AC_.jpg

jegib

Thanks for the review. Is there a linear PSU or a switching mode?

davarazzo

Hello. I am new here and found several of the forum topics interesting and even entertaining. I am in the market for a new DAC so I thought I'd read the review. Perhaps I am missing something here, but how does this thing sound?

Robin L

Master Contributor
Hello. I am new here and found several of the forum topics interesting and even entertaining. I am in the market for a new DAC so I thought I'd read the review. Perhaps I am missing something here, but how does this thing sound?
Mostly like nothing, as it should. Once one has reached a certain level of performance with DACs, "sound quality" isn't a concern. This DAC has met that level of performance.

This is the conclusion of Amir's review:

Conclusions
Consistent with tradition, Topping D30Pro produces excellent objective results courtesy of the company doing its homework during design rather than waiting for me to find the faults! Assuming this is a mid-priced DAC, the feature set of balanced and selectable outputs combined with a bright and pretty display is a winner in my book. Inclusion of AC mains (and regulatory certifications to go with it) removes clutter form the desk finally making for a compact DAC.

Needless to say, I am happy to strongly recommend the Topping D30Pro DAC.

davarazzo

Mostly like nothing, as it should. Once one has reached a certain level of performance with DACs, "sound quality" isn't a concern. This DAC has met that level of performance.

So would one conclude that all DACs that test similar and accordingly recommended by Amir would sound similar to "mostly like nothing, as it should?" Just trying to understand.

Robin L

Master Contributor
So would one conclude that all DACs that test similar and accordingly recommended by Amir would sound similar to "mostly like nothing, as it should?" Just trying to understand.
Yes, correct. It appears that -115db is our limit to hear anything, so a distortion element of -115 or less is inaudible.

typericey

Yes, correct. It appears that -115db is our limit to hear anything, so a distortion element of -115 or less is inaudible.

Just to add, so if one is in the market for >115dB DACs, he should be more concerned about the features, price, build quality, reliability, quirks/bugs, etc. than "how they sound." And just so we're still on topic, the D30Pro looks like it should be on any buyer's shortlist.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Just to add, so if one is in the market for >115dB DACs, he should be more concerned about the features, price, build quality, reliability, quirks/bugs, etc. than "how they sound." And just so we're still on topic, the D30Pro looks like it should be on any buyer's shortlist.
Yeah, I got the cheap and cheerful Topping E30. Stacks nicely with the L30, with distortion of less than -120db I'm covered for sound. Don't want/need balanced out, do want coax along with USB. Doubt the D30Pro would sound different.

davarazzo

Robin L and typericey. Thank you for your input. The D90 is actually on the shortlist. Don't know that the D30Pro would knock it off. Lots to consider.

charleski

Major Contributor
Both are clearly faulty. The only reason they get away with this crap is there is so little "up there" in the first place. Digital pioneers would be turning in their graves.

And no, Topping are just lazy. No buck passing on LPFs back to the D/A manufacturer, what a joke.
Of course we need to recognise that adding a separate digital filter means more chips and PCB space that will push up the cost substantially. Unfortunately the filter is the one real weakness in CL’s DAC chips, but the solution is to upsample using a steep filter in your streamer which will then effectively override the one baked into the chip.

chris719

Of course we need to recognise that adding a separate digital filter means more chips and PCB space that will push up the cost substantially. Unfortunately the filter is the one real weakness in CL’s DAC chips, but the solution is to upsample using a steep filter in your streamer which will then effectively override the one baked into the chip.

It's a flaw that's by design and in virtually every DAC chip with integrated filter ever made. It's not theoretically correct, yes, but I'm not sure it's audible.

Adahn

@amirm

Could we get a toslink in jitter measurement? How does it handle spdif sync anyway? If the usb measurements hold, this could be a great dac for pro audio.

Top Bottom