• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D30Pro Review (Balanced DAC)

Ahmonge

Forum Donor
The D30 replacement unit has arrived. I have tested it via the USB and optical inputs, the latter connected to a Samsung TV with no sound loss or disconnection. Good match between the D30 and the A30.

Phippers

Hello,

Paul here, long time reader, first time poster.

I am considering buying the D30Pro, to use downstream of a MiniDSP SHD Studio, but I am concerned about the TOSLINK / SPIDIF compatibility issues that people have reported when using a CD transport.

Can anyone advise if this only manifests itself when a transport is connected *directly* to the D30Pro?

Has anybody tried an "incompatible" (with D30Pro) CD transport --> SHD Studio --> D30Pro ?

Thanks in advance,

Paul.

Saponetto

Hello Paul,
the jitter issue the D30Pro seems to suffer is related on some cd players (afaik no data about issues with cd transports) directly connected to optical/coaxial inputs.
Any other device I used (TVs, media players, streamers) seems work just fine.

Phippers

Hi Saponetto,

Thanks for that.

One of the reasons that I'm interested in the D30Pro is that Amir measured such good jitter performance on its spdif and toslink inputs (page 1 of this thread).

And since I want a DAC to go with the MiniDSP Studio, (which has Spdif / Tos / AESEBU outputs - but not USB), I'm looking for a DAC with good spdif performance.

I do have a CD transport - so I would plug it into the MiniDSP SHD studio.

What I'm wondering is if my CD transport is one of those that the D30Pro was incompatible with, (and I don't know), then if I connect it to the SHD Studio (which runs at 96KHz internally), would the resampling from 44.1 to 96 in the SHD Studio provide a "work around" to keep the D30Pro happy?

Mulder

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi Saponetto,

Thanks for that.

One of the reasons that I'm interested in the D30Pro is that Amir measured such good jitter performance on its spdif and toslink inputs (page 1 of this thread).

And since I want a DAC to go with the MiniDSP Studio, (which has Spdif / Tos / AESEBU outputs - but not USB), I'm looking for a DAC with good spdif performance.

What I'm wondering is if my CD transport is one of those that the D30Pro was incompatible with, (and I don't know), then if I connect it to the SHD Studio (which runs at 96KHz internally), would the resampling from 44.1 to 96 in the SHD Studio provide a "work around" to keep the D30Pro happy?
Almost all DAC:s today have a jitter well below audible. There is no reason to buy a DAC based on measured jitter-perfomance, as long as it is below the treashold of hearing. Lower jitter is mostly an academic issue nowadays, with no real consequences for percived audio quality.

Last edited:

Phippers

There are other reasons as well :) I like the display :) and balanced outputs are important to me, but yes I take your point.

Phippers

Hi Mulder,

Thanks for your reply. It came through to my email as a post - not sure why I don't see it in the thread. Anyway.....

> What I don't understand is why you should have a DAC downstream SHD-Studio. Can you not connect it directly to the amplifier?

No, the SHD Studio is digital ins and digital outs only. No built-in DACs.

282A4826.jpg

Reactions: MCH

Mulder

Forum Donor
Hi Mulder,

Thanks for your reply. It came through to my email as a post - not sure why I don't see it in the thread. Anyway.....

> What I don't understand is why you should have a DAC downstream SHD-Studio. Can you not connect it directly to the amplifier?

No, the SHD Studio is digital ins and digital outs only. No built-in DACs.

View attachment 239890
Yes, I realized that. So therefore I ereased my post. By the way, I own the D30 Pro, and it do not work with my CD-transport. But it works with my OPPO blue ray player. So it is a hit or miss. I have had no problems with any other source. As you need balanced out, there are plenty of alternatives. I do not recommend the D30 Pro due to its spdif-problem, ie the uncertanty when it comes to accept a CD-player signal. In my view D30Pro is a substandard product that should be withdrawn from the market. Also observe there are others who have had other issues with this dac.

Phippers

Thanks, I appreciate your advice, especially since it is first hand.

Yeah the hit and miss nature of this doesn't exactly instil confidence.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
n my view D30Pro is a substandard product that should be withdrawn from the market
I would say that is a stretch. How many CD players are even sold today? This is a great product and fits my needs perfectly.

Mulder

Forum Donor
I would say that is a stretch. How many CD players are even sold today? This is a great product and fits my needs perfectly.
You make your own needs the norm. But others who are going to buy a DAC may have different needs than you. Almost all DACs with spdif input work with a CD transport. But the D30 pro often doesn't. That this should work is what you as a buyer should be able to count on, unless otherwise explicitly stated.

Reactions: MCH

Saponetto

Hi Saponetto,

Thanks for that.

As per @Mulder reply, it's a hit & miss matter if you need to directly connect a CD transport or a CD player.
Based on simple tests I did some months ago, a simple spdif/toslink digital interface between these CD sources and the D30Pro seems to clear the stuttering problem.
Any other device (TVs, streamers, media players) I connected to both my D30 Pro seems to work flawlessly, so I am moderately optimist about your configuration.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You make your own needs the norm. But others who are going to buy a DAC may have different needs than you. Almost all DACs with spdif input work with a CD transport. But the D30 pro often doesn't. That this should work is what you as a buyer should be able to count on, unless otherwise explicitly stated.
Fair point but I would argue that not using a CD player is probably the norm.

Stating a product should be removed from sale when it’s not the only one with this issue is the stretch.

Though I agree, Topping should have a disclaimer noting this could be a user issue.

Saponetto

@NiagaraPete
Afaik, they already do this on their Amazon reseller, and some local hifi dealers also started to inform the potential buyers about this limitation.
At the end of the day, for my needs also this limitation is meaningless.

cenix

Bought the A+D 30 pro stack about a week ago. I used the E+L 30 before, but I found it a bit "thin-souding" with my Sundara. This stack definitely made it sound better - for my ears at least.

I was wondering, does anyone have the new E+L 70? If so, how does it compare to the A+D 30 pro stack?

I'm debating whether I should return this for the new E+L 70 stack.

Last edited:

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Bought the A+D 30 pro stack about a week ago. I used the E+L 30 before, but I found it a bit "thin-souding" with my Sundara. This stack definitely made it sound better - for my ears at least.

I was wondering, does anyone have the new E+L 70? If so, how does it compare to the A+D 30 pro stack?

I'm debating whether I should return this for the new E+L 70 stack.
If you're expecting it to sound different, it won't. The E+L30 wouldn't either. One might drive your phones better than another but they are all transparent.

Last edited:
Top Bottom