• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D30Pro Review (Balanced DAC)

elole

Does anyone know was the usb source in this review a PC? Is D30pro immune to electrical noise from PC? Thx

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My replacement D30Pro is now in the house, having been airshipped from China direct to me. Seems fine. Let's see how long it works.

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Does anyone know was the usb source in this review a PC? Is D30pro immune to electrical noise from PC? Thx
Amir mentioned in another review that his usual setup is to connect the DAC to the USB hub of his monitor which is connected to his workstation.
So yes USB source is an computer.

Walter

For listening he uses his computer. For testing, the source is an APx555 Audio Analyzer. No DAC is completely immune but some reject it better than others, while some computers have much fewer problems than others in this regard.

Mulder

Forum Donor

Lupin

What firmware might that be?
I still see V2.44 listed on the Topping site.

(I don't have any problems with my D30 Pro so prolly not going to upgrade anytime soon)

alekksander

https://www.tpdz.net/download 3th page, entry dated 2021-09-17.
i experienced loud disturbing buzz every few times i boot my pc. it's continuing until i feed dac with some data. i hope this firmware fixes that. (linux, pure alsa)

(I don't have any problems with my D30 Pro so prolly not going to upgrade anytime soon
i recall they added some filters on 2.44, perhaps new firmware does something about that too, despite description says it only fixes known issues.

Saponetto

@alekksander
no, it was not the first fw update I did on my D30Pro (I have two of these) and I was prepaired to see something weird on the display.
Tbh, I never had problems with V2.44 but i'm too curious to resist an update offer... :)
For sure I'll do some tests later, when I'll get some free time.
First impression, cum grano salis, is that something changed on the decay time, but it's too subjective to mention here.

Lupin

Hmm find this whole V2.46 a bit weird.
I check their website every now and then. There was nothing but the V2.44 from march 2021 up till recently.
The V2.45 which supposedly fixes the 320 PCM issue never made it to the download page. And now there is suddenly a V2.46 dated september 2021 and the V2.44 is gone...

Saponetto

Of course it's weird.
Having a couple of D30 Pro I was at ease on testing this firmware on one of these but, honestly, if you'll ask me for any difference on reliability, my answer should be "nope".
A pacificating word from @JohnYang1997 could really be appreciated.

And no, it doesn't solve the spdif hiccup problem, sorry.

Last edited:

Mulder

Forum Donor
Of course it's weird.
Having a couple of D30 Pro I was at ease on testing this firmware on one of these but, honestly, if you'll ask me for any difference on reliability, my answer should be "nope".
A pacificating word from @JohnYang1997 could really be appreciated.

And no, it doesn't solve the spdif hiccup problem, sorry.
I think @JohnYang1997 wrote somewhere in this thread the spdif hiccup problem is hardware related and can not be fixed with a firmware uppdate. If the DACs intended use is a CD player or a DVD, avoid the D30Pro.

Saponetto

I think @JohnYang1997 wrote somewhere in this thread the spdif hiccup problem is hardware related and can not be fixed with a firmware uppdate. If the DACs intended use is a CD player or a DVD, avoid the D30Pro.
yes, some time ago John left us no hopes that any firmware update could clear this issue, i was just anticipately answering the almost unavoidable question... ;)

For instance, I only had a few sync problems with a Denon CD player (a DCD-600, if I remember correctly, having sold it a few months ago).
My Tangent CDII and all other spdif-toslink devices I plugged into the D30Pro always worked like a charm, no hiccups, no dropouts.

Anyway, the unresolved questions about the firmware releases deserves an answer, imho.

Toku

Major Contributor
The PCM384kHz problem is still not resolved too.

Last edited:

Lupin

The PCM384kHz problem is still not resolved too.
From what I remember the issue is solved by the "unofficial" V2.45 firmware that is not on the website but supplied directly to the customer.
Think there are a few people on this forum who had this issue and got the V2.45 firmware from John.

Top Bottom