• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D30Pro Review (Balanced DAC)

Saponetto

My D30Pro works fine with many devices with TOSlink output e.g TVs, media players and so on, but not with all CD transports.
Sensible differences depends on the light signal quality, some TOS cables works better, some did not at all.
Ludic Aesir cables I got at Audiophonics works quite well... not perfect, but for sure enjoyable.

Saponetto

Afaik, the unique known gripe about the D30Pro is the criticity of its TOS and Coax inputs, due the poor rejection of the jitter effects.
Perhaps I misunderstood the nature of the "well known glitch" you meant.

Pulkass

Thanks. I mainly listen to Tidal and Spotify nowadays. I am 70 y.o. and have amassed a large quantity of Lps, 45s, CDs , but too lazy to sort them out, put them back in alphabetical order. l have re bought the Topping d30 pro now!!! So much l liked the sound. I will use another balanced DAC ( cambridge audio 2010 model) for my CDs!!! .

MCH

Major Contributor
Pulkass, if it helps, I could "solve" the issue using a DVD as transport and passing the signal through the tv. Toslink from tv was ok with the D30pro. Not very elegant though.
FYI, topping has said that there is no solution for this problem, so take it or leave it :-/

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does the S/PDIF accept a signal from another device? Perhaps the socket or circuit is faulty and nothing to do with CDs.
This DAC does not tolerate high levels of jitter (well documented) my 40 Linn CD worked fine both this S/PDIF and coaxial but many don't.

Last edited:

Pulkass

I think it s not jitter, but (?) Matching stream compatibility, very strange....though.
I love those 8 Crystal (?)- don't remember the Brand- Chips dac, better than ESS, love a sharp super analytical sound. In yer face. My system is electronic X overed . 3 stereo amps, modular, highs are Celestion compression horns, not metal dome though.

Pulkass

This DAC does not tolerate high levels of jitter (well documented) my 40 inn CD worked fine both this S/PDIF and coaxial but many don't.
I have tried two of my cd players in my possession, that 1998 Sony built like a battleship with a heavy cd press on disc, and a 2008 Marantz cd player. But the problem is the same. Those players worked very well with many DACs in my possession. Even a new little Topping .

Pulkass

Yes , the Topping d30 pro, arrived yesterday, I will keep it because I love the sound, but: USB not recognized, stereo system is 5 metres from PC, my Cambridge Dac does not have problems with USB cable, at least 5 metres, can I use an usb amplified cable ??? just on Optical sound is very good , but what resolution can I set ?? It worked USB with just a 1 metre cable, and two long cables xlr to the pre--but somehow stopped mid way on reproducing a Tidal hi res song, my maximum bandwidth is 11 mega bits, could it be ???

Pulkass

I think it s the topping, does not accept cables longer than 1 metre,

Pulkass

HERE S the location.

Attachments

• pc e dac.jpg
    pc e dac.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 120

Pulkass

Measurements are a thing ...l guess, PC interface could be another thing. De facto my PC does not recognize the dac with a longer USB cable.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Measurements are a thing ...l guess, PC interface could be another thing. De facto my PC does not recognize the dac with a longer USB cable.
Someone on here in a different thread recently posted about a nifty looking thingy- converts usb to ethernet and back again at each end of the cable for extending- said it works for a long "usb" run- far longer than yours. Wish I could remember who or where - a very established member.

Pulkass

Yes thanks. I Ve had one for HDMI and did not work. Btw. If those new DACs are so sensible to 1 ppm (?) Jitter, how can such cables be accepted ....(?)

Top Bottom