• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D30Pro Review (Balanced DAC)

Veri

Master Contributor
This is really all the filters do?? Volume rolling off past 18-ish khz+??
So the linear vs minimum refers to the roll-off method?
Because I have seen people on YT claim each one sounds different and you should play around with them until you find what sounds best for you.
-There's various differences in filter strength, stop-band attenuation, target roll-off frequency etc, since this is all done on-chip one might also be more resource intensive than another causing one to be steeper in filter strength. All these things are mostly theoretical.. exposing the choice to the consumer/listener usually only causes confusion as to what they 'should be hearing'.
-Linear/minimum means if phase is kept in tact (linear) or if filtering is done in minimum phase (or an intermediate). Most people can't hear benign changes in phase, but there are some that can A-B it. It's not something to lose sleep over though.
-That is ridiculous, and those YT people would never be able to prove their claims. The only filter that can "definitely" be audible is a slow/super slow one since it loses some frequency content before 20kHz, so if you are young and still hear very high frequencies, then yes you could hear that.

-There's various differences in filter strength, stop-band attenuation, target roll-off frequency etc, since this is all done on-chip one might also be more resource intensive than another causing one to be steeper in filter strength. All these things are mostly theoretical.. exposing the choice to the consumer/listener usually only causes confusion as to what they 'should be hearing'.
-Linear/minimum means if phase is kept in tact (linear) or if filtering is done in minimum phase (or an intermediate). Most people can't hear benign changes in phase, but there are some that can A-B it. It's not something to lose sleep over though.
-That is ridiculous, and those YT people would never be able to prove their claims. The only filter that can "definitely" be audible is a slow/super slow one since it loses some frequency content before 20kHz, so if you are young and still hear very high frequencies, then yes you could hear that.
I struggle to hear differences, I need immediate comparisons and restarting a song already puts a break in between that leaves too much room for psychology like confirmation bias and placebo, in my opinion.
However, when testing in games I feel like 6, 7 and sometimes 8 and 9 feel a bit more "airy", I think it's called transparent, not sure.

Walter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This is really all the filters do?? Volume rolling off past 18-ish khz+??
So the linear vs minimum refers to the roll-off method?
Because I have seen people on YT claim each one sounds different and you should play around with them until you find what sounds best for you.
Some helpful member posted this link a day or two ago and I bookmarked it for just this kind of question: https://addictedtoaudio.com.au/blogs/how-to/how-to-pick-the-best-filter-setting-for-your-dac

Edit: D'oh! Just realized it was @trivenge just a few post earlier in this same thread!

What are your thoughts on primarily using filter 1? I see people recommending filter 5 but maybe we should think otherwise?
That's one of my articles. If you want the most accurate sound, choose the filter which is "Fast" or "Sharp" and "Linear" rather than "Minimum" phase. I've tried to explain why in the article, but some very useful background is in this video by Monty from Xiph.org:

nikosidis

I struggle to hear differences, I need immediate comparisons and restarting a song already puts a break in between that leaves too much room for psychology like confirmation bias and placebo, in my opinion.
However, when testing in games I feel like 6, 7 and sometimes 8 and 9 feel a bit more "airy", I think it's called transparent, not sure.
This is normal. I tried a lot of DACs and never heard any difference I could be sure of either. From my understanding it is just a roll of filter in high frequency range that you probably can not hear anyway. At least not if you are over 30 years old.

kdirk16

Looking at getting the D30 Pro. I have a few questions and hope for help. I'm wanting to run this as a DAC/preamp to a Hypex nc502mp amp, 2 channel, or 4 channel. Also with a powered sub off the rca out. Can this be done if I have to split the xlrs for 4 channel? Is the 2 volt out on the rca's enough for the sub in? Thanks

Miska

Audio Company
Some of the results I got today:
ToppingD30Pro-1k-44k1-narrow.png

ToppingD30Pro-1k-352k8-narrow.png

ToppingD30Pro-1k-DSD256-narrow.png

At DSD256, the second harmonic comes down some 6 dB.

Some -60 dB plots:
ToppingD30Pro-1k_-60dB-352k8-narrow.png

ToppingD30Pro-1k_-60dB-DSD256-narrow.png

DAC chip's own noise-shaping looks pretty much like DSD128, here with more aggressive 7th order shaper for comparison, using 5th order the plots match, which is not surprise given that the DAC chip uses 5th order shaper.

ToppingD30Pro-1k-44k1.png

ToppingD30Pro-1k-352k8.png

ToppingD30Pro-1k-DSD128.png

ToppingD30Pro-1k-DSD256.png

You can see that you get lowest THD at DSD128.

Multitone doesn't show anything extraordinary.
ToppingD30Pro-multitone-352k8.png

ToppingD30Pro-multitone-DSD128.png
ToppingD30Pro-multitone-DSD256.png

Jtest24 at DSD128:
ToppingD30Pro-Jtest24-DSD128.png

Attachments

• ToppingD30Pro-multitone-44k1.png
    ToppingD30Pro-multitone-44k1.png
    68.3 KB · Views: 73

Miska

Audio Company
Operating in 'DSD Direct' conversion mode at DSD128? And not at DSD256?

View attachment 187922

I think it either runs the chip in DSD Direct mode in all cases (despite that note), or always operates in DSD Processor Mode. This is only DAC I have with this chip model, so I don't have a reference point. Likely you can "overclock" the chip and violate the datasheet notes, at least there are other chips where you can exceed the specs. (TI chips officially talk about DSD128, but the rates calculated from the timing specs show that DSD256 is fine too)

Miska

Audio Company
Noise floor drops with -60 plot.

Is this an example of 'noise floor modulation' ?

No, because analyzer does auto gain ranging. So it can use higher analog input gain for low level signals. When looking for noise floor modulation, I lock the input gain to fixed value.

P.S. I think the A-weighted SINAD I got for this device was around 118 dB.

Pulkass

Had it for a few days, the sound was very very good, on my balanced chain of components, unfortunately does not play CDs!!!!! DOES NOT ACCEPT PCM OUT OF DC PLAYER !!!! What a mistake. Those 8 Crystal dac chips do sound magnificent. Hope Topping will make a revised edition. Mine went back to the seller.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Had it for a few days, the sound was very very good, on my balanced chain of components, unfortunately does not play CDs!!!!! DOES NOT ACCEPT PCM OUT OF DC PLAYER !!!! What a mistake. Those 8 Crystal dac chips do sound magnificent. Hope Topping will make a revised edition. Mine went back to the seller.
Does the S/PDIF accept a signal from another device? Perhaps the socket or circuit is faulty and nothing to do with CDs.

Kane1972

That's one of my articles. If you want the most accurate sound, choose the filter which is "Fast" or "Sharp" and "Linear" rather than "Minimum" phase. I've tried to explain why in the article, but some very useful background is in this video by Monty from Xiph.org:
Very good video.

Pulkass

Does the S/PDIF accept a signal from another device? Perhaps the socket or circuit is faulty and nothing to do with CDs.
It's a well known glitch. It does not work signal from out coax of a cd player. I was so furious that l did not try the this link out of the cd player !!!! I just sent it back.

Top Bottom