• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D30Pro Review (Balanced DAC)

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Ok thanks

But what means, what does it do fast roll filter or the others ?
Read the manual....

Manual states what all the filters are called and shows a graph of what all the filters do.

Also wouldn't hurt to look around a bit on ASR it has been discussed what filters do.. or don't do, in depth many times before in many threads.

Gremlins

Thanks Lupin

I did attempt to seach with key words, it brings you every where reading here and that as soon as it finds key word .. you know, after one hour reading and not finding your answer, i believe I can still drop a question on a public forum ... still knowing one will come with an answer as your's " why do tou come here posting a question "

Anyway ...

Regarding the manual, i do not have it .....

Perhaps you could help Lupin?

Thank you

Thalis

Thanks Lupin

I did attempt to seach with key words, it brings you every where reading here and that as soon as it finds key word .. you know, after one hour reading and not finding your answer, i believe I can still drop a question on a public forum ... still knowing one will come with an answer as your's " why do tou come here posting a question "

Anyway ...

Thank you

Refer to page 1 of this thread.... Amir posted a graph concerning the filters.

Lupin

Thanks Lupin

Anyway ...

Thank you
You can download the manual from the Topping website

Quote from Amir concerning the filters.
View attachment 111633

Nice to see very high attenuation with Filter 2 which is the default.

General concensus seems to be that you want to have a filer that cuts of at 22Khz and falls down as steep (as close to the vertical red line as possible) and low as possible without creating artifacts. Of course there are 1001 people with 1001 opinions why one filter is better than the other, what the best filter is and if it is an audible concern to begin with.

Amir mentioned noise shaping in the review and therefor filters are discussed quite a bit at the beginning of this review thread. Might want to go the the early pages of this thread and read through that if you're interested.

Gremlins

Thanks all, i just read the first pages, i have the info
I'll go F2 and not worry about

Good day!

testp

Thanks Lupin

Anyway ...

Thank you
The best decider is your own ears, because they alter the sound in so minimal way. Usually there is maybe a hint of difference between the most populars, but also keep in mind, brain plays tricks on us (different moods different grooves)

razamanaz

Filter information is not understand. Which filter has the least distortion?

Amir tested 2 filter, when it was five. Now there are nine filters, what number is the filter being tested.

Saponetto

Filters 1 to 5 are Cirrus embedded, and filters 6 to 9 are Topping developed as per @JohnYang1997 helpful post.

If I remember correctly, @amirm told us that filter 2 is a good compromise between frequency response and the obvious need to dump every ultrasonic content above 22.5 KHz.

Filters from 6 to 9 behave different that Cirrus ones, and some of these starts to cut from 19 KHz, as filter 6 I'm currently using does.

despoiler

I agree with filter 6. It's my favorite of them.

Lupin

Rest of the PCB pictures for the ones intrested:

D30Pro (1).jpg

D30Pro (2).jpg

D30Pro (3).jpg

D30Pro (4).jpg

D30Pro (5).jpg

D30Pro (6).jpg

D30Pro (7).jpg

D30Pro (8).jpg

Saponetto

Highly interesting!

This detailed inner view also explains the RCAs that seems not to be solid enough to hold some heavy Amphenol plugs...

That One Guy

Still sorta new to this and so this is probably dumb question, but if I were to buy the Topping D30 Pro, what would be the best way to connect a subwoofer to it for a 2.1 setup?

Path would be: PC > USB > D30 Pro > XLR > Buckeye Amp (just ordered!) > passive speakers/SVS PB1000

Current thinking is to just use the speaker level inputs. However, is it possible to route the pre-outs on the D30 Pro to the sub? Perhaps using a miniDSP of some kind? Plan on using REW regardless. And would much rather not interrupt the XLR chain with unbalanced connections. PC would be the only source device.

Mostly just trying to cut down on the clutter, and I'm making some new cables from Mogami W3104 (for aesthetics, don't worry) which is expensive. If I could get away with buying less of it by not doing the speaker level inputs, that would be greatly appreciated!

usern

Not sure how you would do this with passive speakers, but with studio monitors and studio subs you can connext XLR-s to the sub and the sub will split the signal (highpassed to speakers, lowpass to the sub itself) and you connect the speakers to the sub again.

amarsicola

Forum Donor
Anyone has tested if this dac has the same obscene 3rd harmonic distortion when playing stereo like smsl SU-9 or M500?
I am considering buying it since I returned my SU-9, is there any quality issue I should be aware of?

aandres_gm

Anyone has tested if this dac has the same obscene 3rd harmonic distortion when playing stereo like smsl SU-9 or M500?
I am considering buying it since I returned my SU-9, is there any quality issue I should be aware of?
It's been tested to be free of that issue, according to John Yang. Only two things come to mind: it may not play well with CD players vía Toslink and there was an odd bug in the early days, where playing content @384kHz would result in a pulsating static noise. The CD thing is related to the jitter rejection of the DAC chip, so it can't be fixed; the other issue got ironed out with a firmware update.

Saponetto

A few weeks ago I started being worried about this Toslink matter.
Then I carefully looked around in my room and didn't find any presence of CDs to play.
Problem solved.

Just kidding, of course... but honestly, for my needs the Toslink matter is totally irrelevant if compared with the sound quality of this nice dac.
Happy with it.

Toku

Major Contributor
It's been tested to be free of that issue, according to John Yang. Only two things come to mind: it may not play well with CD players vía Toslink and there was an odd bug in the early days, where playing content @384kHz would result in a pulsating static noise. The CD thing is related to the jitter rejection of the DAC chip, so it can't be fixed; the other issue got ironed out with a firmware update.
Unfortunately, the PCM 384kHz noise problem has not yet been resolved. The firmware uploaded to HP is still Ver. 2.44 and has not been updated.

dru_111R

Can someone else with a Samsung TV chime in on whether they're experiencing any of these jitter rejection issues? My local dealer messaged his rep over at Topping and apparently, they told him there could be issues with Samsung TVs (?) I found this odd but anyway I'd like to a second opinion on this as this will be a DAC for my living room so I'll be using it for both TV and music.

Bit late - but have been using with my Samsung TV for a few weeks now and zero problems.

Top Bottom