• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D30Pro Review (Balanced DAC)

Cc-Mode

Forum Donor
I think what I did was enough, for two reasons:

(1) The mic was at 80 cm in front of the speaker, so the effect of the room was limited in this way.

(2) The average from several positions is needed when the mic is at the listening positions to average over the room modes and the reflections, including pointing the mic to several different directions. This is particular useful for frequencies below Schroeder's. In this case, it was unnecessary because of (1) and, BTW, I did several measurements in (1) to double check this outcome.

Hope this clarifies.
-R

P.S. Sorry, why is delta < 0.5? Where is this mentioned in the literature?

P.S.2. (edit) Cleary, if the D30pro is in another room or very far from the speakers, a weight does not make a difference. This is for completeness' sake.

By Delta I mean the difference in absolute value.
You got it, I don't beleive weight can make any diference but just wanted to point out that the methodology is unfair:
1- You have DAC + AMP + speakers + objects + micro (complicated transfert function to estimate)
2- You measure speakers (mean of many positions) without any notable diference
How can you conclude?

robpap

By Delta I mean the difference in absolute value.
You got it, I don't beleive weight can make any diference but just wanted to point out that the methodology is unfair:
1- You have DAC + AMP + speakers + objects + micro (complicated transfert function to estimate)
2- You measure speakers (mean of many positions) without any notable diference
How can you conclude?

Dear Cc-Mode,

I know what is Delta... :) I asked you why your figure is 0.5? Why not 0.25 or 0.75? Which measurement standard do you have in mind? Otherwise these are random comments if you do not make any references to the known literature (it's called scholarly approach since you like pinpointing).

I do not know why my methodology is unfair: to whom or what? I like the D30pro as I wrote before. I placed an object on the D30pro and repeated the measurements without touching the rest. Oh yes, maybe I changed the quantum entanglement... I have to repeat the experiments at -272°C, so that I can pass your peer review.

A person asked an opinion and I gave mine. I do not know if you are not actually interested in D30pro, and probably you do not own one: do we really want to spend our time arguing this? Probably not, I do not like flames, so please ignore my messages and let us enjoy life :)

Bests
-R

Last edited:

mkawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
a scientist is first and foremost a skeptic. ps, why are we getting this sudden influx of ne'er do wells? is it the youtube channel?

dtaylo1066

As to a "sudden influx of ne'er do wells," I am not sure implying people posting here are lazy or irresponsible helps the discussion, but in regard to component vibration, if that's one's thing, I would employ a cheap hockey puck before getting an expensive audiophile gizmo.

As to skepticism and science, I think it is very well articulated below:

"Skepticism is the act of suspending judgment (the opposite of jumping to conclusions) when evaluating an explanation or claims. It allows scientists to consider all possibilities and systematically question all information in the course of an investigation. Why is maintaining a skeptical outlook so important? Skepticism helps scientists to remain objective when performing scientific inquiry and research. It forces them to examine claims (their own and those of others) to be certain that there is sufficient evidence to back them up. Skeptics do not doubt every claim, only those backed by insufficient evidence or by data that have been improperly collected, are not relevant or cannot support the rationale being made.

"People sometimes confuse skepticism with denial. Skepticism allows scientists to reach logical conclusions supported by evidence that has been examined and confirmed by others in the same field, even when that evidence does not confirm absolute certainty. By contrast, denial is the act of clinging to an idea or belief despite the presence of overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

"In order to remain objective, scientists must remain skeptical. In order for scientific knowledge to be advanced, that knowledge must be open to revision. Science works to determine the statistical probability (mathematical likelihood) of a claim's accuracy, not its certainty. Similarly, in a court of law, juries are asked to accept a level of proof that is beyond a reasonable doubt — not absolute certainty — when deciding to convict a defendant."
----------

In most instances, issue or polemics I prefer to rely on facts or conclusive data. That is my choice. I do find it ironic that some professing the scientific method tend to use it rather selectively in their lives or the assertions they make.

I have zero issue with Amir and others extolling the virtues of impeccable measurements. I believe 100% in the data he reports, which is why I read this site most days of the week. I am also not concenred about someone stating that they contend they hear differences in audio components or DACs that measure similarly. While we can measure audio components with extreme accuracy, there is still a lot about human brains, ears and perception that we cannot measure or explain. And their are 8 billion of us, all sharing most of the same DNA, but all quite uninquely different.

Veri

Master Contributor
While we can measure audio components with extreme accuracy, there is still a lot about human brains, ears and perception that we cannot measure or explain.
Unexplainable things that can't be measured. So... magics and pixie dust?
Uh-huh..

robpap

I did not want to be mean, so I apologize if anyone got offended by my previous messages.

The point is that a person asked an opinion, I had an impression, and wanted to check if if it was only in my mind. Given that, I made a small experiment, what was necessary in a forum.

As for the scientific investigation, I have been investing good part of my life in that, as it is my job. Please, let us not forget that this is a hobby and leave our time to the rest; otherwise, it is no more a hobby for me but another job :)

Cheers
-R

countbasey

can anyone compare the remote control range and angles vs the e30. i use the e30 for my TV system and it only works head on, within 10 feet and not very responsive even then. would upgrade if the remote was more powerful, flexible and responsive.

mkawa

Forum Donor
can't compare but can give you subjective impressions of the d30pro. i'm only limited by obstructions on angle, but i'm limited to about 8ft distance. this is with brand new batteries (got it yesterday, yay DHL). my SMSL remotes are much longer range, as is my sabaj remote. i use the amazon fire cube IR repeater with the sabaj though.

mkawa

Forum Donor
F6 to F9 are Topping custom filters programmed onto a firmware update.
new shipments of d30pros seem to be packed with firmware v2.44 out of the box.

alekksander

new shipments of d30pros seem to be packed with firmware v2.44 out of the box.
Ah, yes. That should be the case :)

oh no… if mine comes with 2.44 would that mean i'm stuck with it and gonna be unable to control vol via pc in dac mode? i mean was downgrade an option in previous topping devices?

alekksander

Last edited:

FABTUC

I just bought 2 different DAC D30 PRO and both are providing the same following issues:

• Are is defective connecting with CD PLAYER with Digital Ports (coaxial or optical). The sound come and goes. I tried with different CD players (YAMAHA AS 2100, MARANTZ , JCV) and different audio CD, but the problem persists. It seems like DAC is loosing the synchronism with CD PLAYER.
  • The indicator connection is flashing while connecting with MINISP DDRC 22D (digital) and after few minutes it shuts down.
  • All the CD players work properly when connected to other DAC, the problem is given only when connected to DAC D30PRO

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
I just bought 2 different DAC D30 PRO and both are providing the same following issues:

• Are is defective connecting with CD PLAYER with Digital Ports (coaxial or optical). The sound come and goes. I tried with different CD players (YAMAHA AS 2100, MARANTZ , JCV) and different audio CD, but the problem persists. It seems like DAC is loosing the synchronism with CD PLAYER.
  • The indicator connection is flashing while connecting with MINISP DDRC 22D (digital) and after few minutes it shuts down.
  • All the CD players work properly when connected to other DAC, the problem is given only when connected to DAC D30PRO
Welcome Aboard @FABTUC.

Mulder

Forum Donor

I had the exact same problem. When connected to a CD player (COAX) the sound skipped, i.e. the audio disappeared now and then for some seconds. But I tried another player, an Oppo blue ray player, and then - when playing CD:s - the problem was gone. I have not tried the other CD-player with another DAC. I assumed the problem was with the CD-player. If the problem is the DAC, how come it as in my case works with some CD-players but not others?

Veri

Master Contributor
I had the exact same problem. When connected to a CD player (COAX) the sound skipped, i.e. the audio disappeared now and then for some seconds. But I tried another player, an Oppo blue ray player, and then - when playing CD:s - the problem was gone. I have not tried the other CD-player with another DAC. I assumed the problem was with the CD-player. If the problem is the DAC, how come it as in my case works with some CD-players but not others?

Sounds like it is the PLL that has trouble locking on some digital inputs.

Top Bottom