• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D30Pro Review (Balanced DAC)

August

Why the dynamic range greatly exceeds that of the previously tested devices?Even more than the Okto dac8 stereo.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Get ready for some torture in watching my first youtube video that I just created on this DAC!

It's not torture. Well done. If you can ban yourself from "ums" and "ahs" it would be essentially as good as it gets. :)

ezra_s

Forum Donor
What can I say, great product and... @amirm you look hotter in your avatar :cool:. Nice to see you in youtube!

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Less than 10dB down at 22.05kHz (@44.1k) is not "very high attenuation" nor is it remotely "nice".

It should be 80-90dB down. You know that.
I don't understand why, when Amir is so focused on the principle that measurements should approach theoretical perfection, he gives a pass to these poor filters. None is anywhere near what they should be, and others such as those using ESS DACs show that it is easy to do.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I don't understand why, when Amir is so focused on the principle that measurements should approach theoretical perfection, he gives a pass to these poor filters.

It's the apparent inconsistency too. Here's an example, Motu M2 review:

1612960907294.png

The Motu is the only D/A product reviewed so far (as far as I know) that has exhibited proper response in its LPF.

This Topping is a joke in that respect and should be called for what it is.

Last edited:

PeteL

Major Contributor
I think the point is to point out this noise shaping or ultrasonic leaking. Maybe it's worthwhile to show two bandwidths though. WolfX does this too.
I think it's more of a AP algorithm quirk the way amir presented it, but not sure. That said, a measurment that we don't see here, arguably rightfully because all DACS shows ruler flat, is frequency response, but for some reason that I don't really get, people and manufacturers still like to be able to have full extended response to 100k, to avoid being labeled "not really high res" And I believe the High Res japanese certification label also imply some version of that, but I don't really understand that, there is nothing good up there. And here I am not talking the validity of High resolution sampling or DSD formats, it's a different debate weather they are useful, but those exist for different technical reasons than to be able to reproduce the supersonics. There is no reason for an analog output to go much beyond the audible range IMO.

Haskil

Forum Donor
[QUOTE = "starfly, post: 667473, membre: 7981"] Topping devrait créer un AVR multi-canaux complet, ou AVP avec Dirac. Je suis sûr qu'ils le feraient sortir du parc, car ils ont prouvé à maintes reprises qu'ils consacrent beaucoup d'efforts à leur ingénierie. [/ CITATION]

Je pense surtout qu'il devrait faire un DAC avec un DSP qui permette de faire une égalisation paramétrique sur une dizaine de bandes et aussi qui permette d'inclure un fichier de convolution fait avec l'un des logiciels libres et gratuits qui sont disponibles. ..

I especially think that he should make a DAC with a DSP which allows to do a parametric equalization on ten bands and also which allows to include a convolution file made with one of the free and free software that are available. ..

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
This Topping is a joke in that respect and should be called for what it is.
It's kind of ridiculous to blame Topping for the default Cirrus Logic filters, same for AKM. Both don't have a steep 22kHz option available, it's not there. ESS Sabre does have a few :) + ESS also allows manual coding of this OS filter which might be the reason why Motu's is perfect. Not sure.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
It's kind of ridiculous to blame Topping for the default Cirrus Logic filters, same for AKM. Both don't have a steep 22kHz option available, it's not there.

Both are clearly faulty. The only reason they get away with this crap is there is so little "up there" in the first place. Digital pioneers would be turning in their graves.

And no, Topping are just lazy. No buck passing on LPFs back to the D/A manufacturer, what a joke.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
EDIT: just did a video review of this. Although it covers the same info as above, I explain the measurements in more detail:

Great job on the video.

I wonder if there's a way you could have that Emmy award somewhere in view...:cool:

Cortes

@Amir,

I subscribed to your new youtube channel. I'm within the first two-hundreds, so when you reach the first million I'll claim my right to a cool Pink Panter ;-)

Veri

Master Contributor
Both are clearly faulty. The only reason they get away with this crap is there is so little "up there" in the first place. Digital pioneers would be turning in their graves.
The fact these manufacturers insist on this kind of filtering has always been odd to me though. As in, 'Why'.
Velvet sound.....?

Robin L

Master Contributor
It's not torture. Well done. If you can ban yourself from "ums" and "ahs" it would be essentially as good as it gets. :)
"Ums" and "Ahs" are why the Goddess created digital editing.

Tks

Major Contributor
SO HAPPY to see the display type from the DX3 Pro, it doesn't offend the eyes and has I think 3 brightness settings.

This thing looks awesome.

The only downside is the obvious filters and clock not being bang-on 1Khz (I get it, Topping ain't to blame, and you're not going to get an FPGA or some discrete solution at what I assume would be a very good price for this thing? Correct me if I'm wrong on this notion). I wonder if an equally costing ESS chip can be had, they have the proper filter selection (seems to be the only folks that do sadly).

Anyway, love the look of this thing and how compact it looks as well.

Top Bottom