• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Topping D30Pro Review (Balanced DAC)

Isn’t having a volume control on a DAC like having a volume control on a turntable or CD player?

I don’t get it.
There are a number of situations where a volume control on a DAC is useful. E.g., the toslink output on all smart TV's I know is fixed volume. So if you're going Smart TV->DAC->active speakers, that's how you control volume.

bennetng

Major Contributor
So I guess this is where the discussion starts if some aliasing above 20 kHz or a frequency response 35 dB down at 20 kHz is to be preferred...
That's called imaging instead of aliasing and it happens above 22.05kHz rather than 20kHz. BTW I wonder why the stopband is 21kHz rather than 22kHz, perhaps a limitation of the programmable filter settings? Anyway, the most popular ~0.55fs stopband filter is still there, as well as the NOS one so that others can use it with their own software upsampler, should be no more compliant I suppose.

JohnYang1997

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
Manufacturer
That's called imaging instead of aliasing and it happens above 22.05kHz rather than 20kHz. BTW I wonder why the stopband is 21kHz rather than 22kHz, perhaps a limitation of the programmable filter settings? Anyway, the most popular ~0.55fs stopband filter is still there, as well as the NOS one so that others can use it with their own software upsampler, should be no more compliant I suppose.
oops.

MGG

There are a number of situations where a volume control on a DAC is useful. E.g., the toslink output on all smart TV's I know is fixed volume. So if you're going Smart TV->DAC->active speakers, that's how you control volume.
Just go with Smart TV (headphone-out)->active speakers, it's usually good enough and allows you to use TV's remote for volume controle. I don't get why people are obsessed with DACs, pretty much any DAC is good enough.

Just go with Smart TV (headphone-out)->active speakers, it's usually good enough and allows you to use TV's remote for volume controle. I don't get why people are obsessed with DACs, pretty much any DAC is good enough.
I don't really do "good enough". :):cool:

I realized that this is using the quad array of the cirrus CS43198. The new iBasso flagship DAP, the DX300, implements that very solution as well. Quite interesting since it's a bit of an odd duck DAC chip. From what I have garnered thus far, however, that particular DAP is excellent.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
I did wonder about that. Seems odd not to get closer to 22k if you can, and move the "corner" closer to 20k.

Top Bottom