• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D30Pro Owners

Slayer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Wanted to start a thread where owners could discuss their D30pro. Plus i have a few questions.

1) Where did you buy?
2) How long did it take to receive it?
3) Do you notice any performance ( issues ) difference when either running in Preamp mode vs Dac mode?

I am curious because i am needing a temporary or permanent replacement for my P5 preamp. I know as usual when i send in for service i will be without it for 3 to 4 weeks. That's just to long for me to be without my music.
My issue with my pre at first was, just the optical and coaxial (spdif) sounded horrible. USB on the other hand is great as well as analog. However in the past couple weeks i have a new issue. I loose the left channel, regardless of digital or analog inputs. When i turn on the unit the left is not there or it will be there then fade out. Powering on and off or switching inputs back and fourth will usually bring the left channel back. So it's becoming a huge annoyance that has to be resolved. Therefor i need something to hold me over, hence my previous questions to you all.

Sray

1. Got it from local dealer (I am fromTaiwan).
2. 2nd day arrival
3. No performance issue for all input and all sample rate (USB for all sample rate only, for coaxial and Opt, I only use my TV runs 48k 24bit and CDP for 16 bit, 44.1k). Both DAC mode and Pre mode work flawlessly.

William

Last edited:

raysay

I just received the D30pro and I'm pretty disappointed with the sound. It is connected to Hegel H80 amplifier with XLR connectors, and the music comes from Tidal Masters. The sound is very light and shrill. And significantly worse than from both my Schiit Bifrost 4490 and Schiit Modi 3.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The sound is very light and shrill. And significantly worse than from both my Schiit Bifrost 4490 and Schiit Modi 3.
This sounds barely believable, unless your unit is defective.
No need to ask if you level-matched... Since you plugged the D30 through XLR Vs the two others in RCA. Hard to compare 4V Vs 2V DACs, then.;)

Last edited:

mkawa

Forum Donor
1. shenzhen audio
2. 3-4 days from handing to DHL to my door
3. i've only run in preamp mode because they drive my 8040s. works great

maybe you should try putting a glass plate on the case, @raysay. some fellow in the review thread does this and even has a measurement of... something showing a difference in... something. he hasn't done any blind testing, but he's pretty sure!

OP
S

Slayer

I can't see any analog input for the D30.;)

Joke aside, I would open a ticket and ask for replacement unit ASAP...

I think there was some miscommunication. My issues are with the P5 pre, not the topping. Which is why i am looking into the topping as a replacement.

OP
S

Slayer

Oops my bad.:facepalm:
No harm, no foul.
1619204278037.png

Mulder

Forum Donor
I recently bought a D30Pro, but have discovered that it cannot lock the SPDIF signal from my CD carrier. The sound disappears from time to time, a few seconds now and then. The strange thing is that it works to play CDs via SPDIF with my OPPO BlueRay player. Then it suddenly works. On the other hand, my CD transport, which has problems with the D30Pro, works without problems with my RME ADI-2. I have seen in several places that there have been problems with Topping's SPDIF receivers. It seems to be a bit of a hit or miss when it comes to CD players. Does anyone recognize this? This seems to be a problem with Topping's DACs.

I have the same problem. I have tried it with the Cambridge cxc and the audiolab cdt 6000. Chromecast audio also the same problem. Shame as it sounds very good.

Coin3

1) Bought on Apos Audio
2) 5 days from Shenzhen to west coast of the US.
3) I only run in DAC mode via USB, and I haven't had any issue. I use XLR out to the A30 Pro, and RCA out to my speaker amp.

mkawa

Forum Donor
topping is pretty good at recalls if needed. hopefully someone can provide a way for them to reproduce it: for example, a readily available spdif out device that is reliably producing lock on errors for a significant number of people, they can debug and figure out what is happening.

JeyElDee

I recently bought a D30Pro, but have discovered that it cannot lock the SPDIF signal from my CD carrier. The sound disappears from time to time, a few seconds now and then. The strange thing is that it works to play CDs via SPDIF with my OPPO BlueRay player. Then it suddenly works. On the other hand, my CD transport, which has problems with the D30Pro, works without problems with my RME ADI-2. I have seen in several places that there have been problems with Topping's SPDIF receivers. It seems to be a bit of a hit or miss when it comes to CD players. Does anyone recognize this? This seems to be a problem with Topping's DACs.
I have no problems using any of the two SPDIF connections. I use USB from a portable, Toslink from a Soundblaster XFi that does only bridge from USB to SPDIF, and the Coax comes from a CD player. No dropouts.

alekksander

so did anyone figure how the new filters measure?

D700

I've got the A30P/D30P ensemble on order. Checked all the right boxes for me, can't wait.

Top Bottom