• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D30 vs two unknown DACs

thefsb

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I set up two Raspberry Pis, one feeding the USB Type-B port of our Musical Fidelity M3si, the other to the D30's USB and thence to the CD input of the M3si.

The other comparison was with the Cheap HDMI Switch/Extractor which has both analog RCA digital optical out. So the RCA goes direct to the M3si and the optical goes to the D30 and thence to the M3si.

In our informal listening, I couldn't tell any differences.

But my wife was very clear about the differences she could hear between the M3si's DAC relative to the D30, describing the D30 as more clear and the M3si as more muscular and distorted. She described the music on the D30 as having its components (instruments) more separated. I think she liked the music on the M3si more.

We couldn't tell a difference between the HDMI switch/extractor and the D30 while watching The Man in the High Castle but it was getting late then and we were both tired. I should try again with a music CD in the DVD player.

Top Bottom