• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D30 DAC Measurement and Review

Windofrce

Topping D10 or D30 for raw performance? Which one is better? I don't mind for input and features, just raw performance.

Svperstar

Topping D10 or D30 for raw performance? Which one is better? I don't mind for input and features, just raw performance.

I have both. I got the D30 first but I got the D10 for the optical out to try and solve a usb clicking and popping issue.

To my ears they are 95% identical but the D30 is slightly warmer. This is splitting hairs. Its like taking 10% of the cheese off a cheese burger and claiming it tastes different.

Buy either be happy.

Windofrce

I have both. I got the D30 first but I got the D10 for the optical out to try and solve a usb clicking and popping issue.

To my ears they are 95% identical but the D30 is slightly warmer. This is splitting hairs. Its like taking 10% of the cheese off a cheese burger and claiming it tastes different.

Buy either be happy.
Thank you! Which one is better on paper? Which is measuring better?

Svperstar

Thank you! Which one is better on paper? Which is measuring better?

I believe the D30 measures a bit better but Amir used two different analyzers. The DAC on the D30 is much older, classic Cirrus Logic DAC from the early 2000s. The ESS DAC in the D10 is much newer but I believe has slightly worse specs. I could be wrong. Either way they are very similar products.

The D30 uses external power while the D10 is powered by USB power.

Windofrce

I believe the D30 measures a bit better but Amir used two different analyzers. The DAC on the D30 is much older, classic Cirrus Logic DAC from the early 2000s. The ESS DAC in the D10 is much newer but I believe has slightly worse specs. I could be wrong. Either way they are very similar products.

The D30 uses external power while the D10 is powered by USB power.
Hmm I think DAC from D30 has slightly better specs.

Advantages and disadvantages of using external powering DAC or USB? In terms of performance. I do not mind if there is one brick more.

Svperstar

Hmm I think DAC from D30 has slightly better specs.

Advantages and disadvantages of using external powering DAC or USB? In terms of performance. I do not mind if there is one brick more.

It is separate from your PC power so in theory if you have it in a good plug it would be isolated from any audible issues arising from dirty usb power. In practice the DAC filters the power anyway. I have all my audio stuff plugged into a power conditioner, dunno if it makes a difference but its nice to have. People don't talk about power conditioners like they did in the mid 2000s.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

whazzup

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thank you for all the work done! As I started my googling into the amazing world of DACs, I kept running into comprehensive articles from ASR. I have a worry though: ASR is probably one of the driving forces behind the popularity of Topping DACs. But I also read the components are changed over time. Is it conceivable that what was measured is now very different from what can be purchased now?

bboris77

I got this vintage DAC after I was having some RFI interference issues with my D50s and Modi 3. It was not the fault of the DAC, it is just that I live very close to an airport and a military base, so a lot of the equipment picks up their radar blips. Happy to report that the D30 is absolutely RFI interference free. Honestly, it sounds great as well, with extremely low noise floor. Nice high output voltage and channel matching (within 0.002 Vrms). My D50S had a 2% variation between the channels (0.035Vrms) which I did not think was acceptable.

At this point, I am actually leaning towards keeping this as my main DAC. One thing that gives me some niggling concerns is the fact that the intermodulation distortion on the USB input has never been measured on this DAC using the most modern approach, and the SPDIF measurement showed IMD on a high side. Amir or WolfX-700, is there a chance that you may run this test for the USB/Toslink input? I would love to see how it compares to the Modi 3 or OL Dac for example.

nicky

Has anyone seen this
? the guy seems to have pretty good results modding his D30.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Has anyone seen this
Pathetic channel can't even name cs4398 right.. Let alone no measurements whatsoever is done after the modification.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Has anyone seen this

I don't see him showing any actual results.

nicky

on this channel he has a number of videos. Many compare his modded D30 to D50, D70, MOJO CHORD.
I know tha the E30 should be better but as a hobby it is intersting to see that dacs can evolve, noticeably by changing the opamp's.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
on this channel he has a number of videos. Many compare his modded D30 to D50, D70, MOJO CHORD.

"Many compare" is like "many say that cows can fly".

I know tha the E30 should be better but as a hobby it is intersting to see that dacs can evolve, noticeably by changing the opamp's.

"Evolve" in what way?

nicky

Writing error, i didn't want to say "many compare" but "he compares"... don't know how this got there...
he owns à D50, D70 and MOJO CHORD and has videos comparing theme.

The changes are in the definition, separation and space. It is interesting. After, the mods are more expensive than the DAC, but for a hobby instead of letting an old DAC in the bottom of a drawer, it can be a fun project to do.

D30 will never beat a D70 for sure but it can be improved.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Writing error, i didn't want to say "many compare" but "he compares"... don't know how this got there...

The changes are in the definition, separation and space. It is interesting. After, the mods are more expensive than the DAC, but for a hobby instead of letting an old DAC in the bottom of a drawer, it can be a fun project to do.
Let me say this....
If there's no measurements for validation and comparison it's completely utter bullshit.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

"Comparing" as in unverified, subjective perception.

The changes are in the definition, separation and space.

If he says so... What do those words mean (in an audio context) anyway? Are there also changes in fluffiness and dillution?

It is interesting.

In what way? The audiophile world is full of useless tweaks and "improvements" that come with lots of claims but no evidence.

After, the mods are more expensive than the DAC, but for a hobby instead of letting an old DAC in the bottom of a drawer, it can be a fun project to do.

Fun, yes, as long as you don't make any unsubstantiated claims.

nicky

I give up, this is getting too sterile about mesurements, people who have the ultimate science and so one.
I was just showing a fun project that could be made with aging gear.

Cheers.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I give up, this is getting too sterile about mesurements, people who have the ultimate science and so one.

I guess some people find evidence-based reality too "sterile". Remember, this is Audio SCIENCE Review after all...

I was just showing a fun project that could be made with aging gear.

As I wrote, fun is fine as long as you don't make any unsubstantiated claims.

Top Bottom