• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D30 DAC Measurement and Review

espec50

Do you have a windows error? Or does it not show in the device manager or what is happening?
It shows up in device manager with no errors. I have the drivers currently installed from Topping's website. I can play SPDIF audio just fine and the blue LED turns off indicating it's unlocked. Whenever I switch to USB I get no audio and the blue unlocked led turns on. The USB cable and USB port on my PC works, I've tested with a different DAC. I made sure to switch USB as default device in playback devices but still no sound.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
It shows up in device manager with no errors. I have the drivers currently installed from Topping's website. I can play SPDIF audio just fine and the blue LED turns off indicating it's unlocked. Whenever I switch to USB I get no audio and the blue unlocked led turns on. The USB cable and USB port on my PC works, I've tested with a different DAC. I made sure to switch USB as default device in playback devices but still no sound.
What are the bit and sample rates set to?

bboris77

I have been researching the differences between this DAC and its bigger brother, the D50. There has been one measurement that I could not see on this thread but has been posted in another thread by Amir. This is the IMD distortion, which I think is very useful. The D30 has been compared favourably many times to the D50, the EL DAC and the Modi 3. However, when you take into the consideration its IMD performance, I think all these other units are definitely superior. I ended up ordering the D50. I am posting this measurement here again to help anyone that is trying to decide between these units.

Topping DX7 vs Topping D30 and Exasound E32 vs Emotiva DC-1 DAC SMPTE IMD Distortion Measurement.png
Topping D50 DAC SMPTE Intermodulation Measurement.png

Jimmy

I think that these are old measurements using SPDIF, usb should be much cleaner, look at SINAD charts, but paradoxically SPDIF sounds slightly warmer/relaxed.

I have been researching the differences between this DAC and its bigger brother, the D50. There has been one measurement that I could not see on this thread but has been posted in another thread by Amir. This is the IMD distortion, which I think is very useful. The D30 has been compared favourably many times to the D50, the EL DAC and the Modi 3. However, when you take into the consideration its IMD performance, I think all these other units are definitely superior. I ended up ordering the D50. I am posting this measurement here again to help anyone that is trying to decide between these units.

View attachment 21352View attachment 21353

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Yes those were originally done with SPDIF which turned out to be far worse than the USB implementation.
I believe the D30 got 16b SPDIF and 19b USB in terms of linearity.

ColinMacLaren

I got a Topping D30 for cheap. Since I am hooking it up to a Little Dot MKIII I unfortunately have a ground loop that I cannot eliminate completely by connecting the PC and the Liitle Dot to different wall outlets.

What is the better option: Use SPDIF (whhich measures far worse then USB) or getting a cheap USB isloator (which also introduces additional noise)?

Jimmy

The simplest and probably cheapest solution to avoid ground loops is to go optical (toslink), however I haven't tested the D30 with such connection, so I can't tell how it performs relative to USB/SPDIF, although I suppose it should be equivalent to SPDIF.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I got a Topping D30 for cheap. Since I am hooking it up to a Little Dot MKIII I unfortunately have a ground loop that I cannot eliminate completely by connecting the PC and the Liitle Dot to different wall outlets.

What is the better option: Use SPDIF (whhich measures far worse then USB) or getting a cheap USB isloator (which also introduces additional noise)?
Try using a simple USB hub first before doing anything else.

ColinMacLaren

Try using a simple USB hub first before doing anything else.

How is this supposed to eliminate the ground loop? It goes from Wall outlet -> power cable -> PC-> USB cable -> Topping D30 -> RCA-cable -> Little Dot -> power cable -> Wall outlet -> mains line. A simple USB hub will share the same ground.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
How is this supposed to eliminate the ground loop? It goes from Wall outlet -> power cable -> PC-> USB cable -> Topping D30 -> RCA-cable -> Little Dot -> power cable -> Wall outlet -> mains line. A simple USB hub will share the same ground.
It will isolate the unit from the computer.
It just needs to be a powered hub.

BlackD007

Hi! Will there be a big difference between Topping D30 and PCI M-audio delta 2496 in sound quality? My system is Telefunken Ra200 and Beovox M70 speakers. Thanks.

Jimmy

I guess the only way to know for sure is to try, but if you are happy with the sound card (it doesn't bleed noise from the PC), probably there won't be a lot of difference listening with vintage equipment (i'm assuming that your amp/speaker combo sounds warm).

Another thing is flexibility, with an external DAC that has spdif and optical inputs you don't need to always use a computer to play content.

Hi! Will there be a big difference between Topping D30 and PCI M-audio delta 2496 in sound quality? My system is Telefunken Ra200 and Beovox M70 speakers. Thanks.

BlackD007

I guess the only way to know for sure is to try, but if you are happy with the sound card (it doesn't bleed noise from the PC), probably there won't be a lot of difference listening with vintage equipment (i'm assuming that your amp/speaker combo sounds warm).

Another thing is flexibility, with an external DAC that has spdif and optical inputs you don't need to always use a computer to play content.

Thank you for answer. Sorry for my english. I just order Topping D30, when it come will make comprassion between delta 2496. Anyway i more lisening vynil. I have Fons CQ-30 turntable (same from 1970s).

El_Konrado

I can see people still ask questions and D30 seem to be still a very popular unit and not surprised as it sounds really good. I thought I will share something I havent seen being mentioned here, I use D30 purely via USB and it 2 very easy upgrades made this great DAC sound even better. One was exchanging the supplied psu onto a one made by Creative company that originally was powering their Soundworks set of speakers I believe. It seems to be much better quality and you can grab it second hand for a few quid. As long as you remember you need 15v you are fine. Second thing is isolating 5V pin on your USB cable as D30 doesnt need 5V from USB, I couldnt believe how much of an improvement it was. You just need some isolation tape and 1 minute to do it. My CPU isnt very noisy, has some really decent components and top of the range Corsair HX psu and still effects are great so I would imagine some people may benefit even more than me.

lardyl

Will give that a go on the 5V from USB.
On the PSU, is it worth looking at a laptop psu? What can the D30 cope with in terms of input voltage. Presumably it has some form of voltage regulation built in so we could even look elsewhere?

..... via USB and it 2 very easy upgrades made this great DAC sound even better. One was exchanging the supplied psu onto a one made by Creative company that originally was powering their Soundworks set of speakers I believe. ....... isolating 5V pin on your USB cable as D30 doesnt need 5V from USB, I couldnt believe how much of an improvement it was. You just need some isolation tape and 1 minute to do it. ......

Last edited:

Jimmy

I would stick with the original 15v, it may be possible to lower the input voltage to 12v or less but that would require a deeper analysis of the design, I dont't think it's worth the time.

I've replaced the wall wart with a high quality SMPS, and the sound to my ears is exactly the same, I just don't like cheap wall warts for audio components and usually replace them where possible.

Regarding the USB cable mod it may help but it will depend on the situation, if the 5v power isn't noisy it shouldn't matter.

El_Konrado

Will give that a go on the 5V from USB.
On the PSU, is it worth looking at a laptop psu? What can the D30 cope with in terms of input voltage. Presumably it has some form of voltage regulation built in so we could even look elsewhere?
Regarding PSU voltage its not so easy to use a different than the original 15V, laptop PSU will be good as long as its an original one like IBM etc. and not some cheap replacement. 15V and at least 1A you need. Let me know what results you got with 5V line disbled on USB cable. For me it was huge especially that my USB is realy clean with highest grade PSU and in fact DAC is using a seperate USB 3.0 controller which has a completely sperate circuit on my motherboard yet still the results were huge. Actually my wife came and said some songs sound completely different than previous days, especially midrange, voices sound much thicker, fuller and sound in general much warmer, thicker, for me these were some spectacular results.

aoaaron

My d30 has a high pitched frequency noise from its physical charger. CAn someone check if this is normal or a malfunction? I think some degree of noise from a charger isn’t rare but wanted to double check.

Top Bottom