• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D30 DAC Measurement and Review

Keltere

Yes, It was able to install now and shows up with XMOS USB AUDIO, also the 16bit mode appeared as well. I don't see a control panel though.

What version of windows do you have?
With windows 10 1809 the drivers from topping just wouldn't work. The official xmos drivers are working fine but because those are just a demo they will add an annoying bip every 1 minute.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
What version of windows do you have?
With windows 10 1809 the drivers from topping just wouldn't work. The official xmos drivers are working fine but because those are just a demo they will add an annoying bip every 1 minute.
On Win 10 1803 I run my D30 without the drivers. It's fine on Win 10 native USB 2. Try removing the drivers and run native support.

Keltere

On Win 10 1803 I run my D30 without the drivers. It's fine on Win 10 native USB 2. Try removing the drivers and run native support.

I wanted to use asio with foobar not with a generic windows driver, d10, dx7s and d50 has 4.14 xmos drivers, why d30 no?
But anyway thanks for the suggestion.
Someone said on another forum that SMSL m8 drivers could work. I need to find those.

EDIT: not working, it need a specific xmos driver.

Last edited:

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
I wanted to use asio with foobar not with a generic windows driver, d10, dx7s and d50 has 4.14 xmos drivers, why d30 no?
But anyway thanks for the suggestion.
Someone said on another forum that SMSL m8 drivers could work. I need to find those.

EDIT: not working, it need a specific xmos driver.

WASAPI will work with foobar. Probably only in the push mode. That's what I do around here. Set output format to 32-bit or you will get pops when switching to (or back from) direct sound applications. Let Topping know so they can fix the drivers.

Jimmy

There are newer drivers that work with the D30, just not from Topping, look at the device id and google around. However there's no difference in sound or useful functionality between the drivers supplied by topping and newer ones (xmos control panel is mostly useless).

Wasapi event (24 bit) and ASIO work fine, but I prefer wasapi, asio sounds somewhat brighter (at least with foobar). I'm also using windows 10 (build 1809).

Keltere

There are newer drivers that work with the D30, just not from Topping, look at the device id and google around. However there's no difference in sound or useful functionality between the drivers supplied by topping and newer ones (xmos control panel is mostly useless).

Wasapi event (24 bit) and ASIO work fine, but I prefer wasapi, asio sounds somewhat brighter (at least with foobar). I'm also using windows 10 (build 1809).

Can you be more specific? I couldn't find it online.

Jimmy

Xmos drivers are made by a company named Thesycon, manufacturers have to pay them to distribute the drivers. Let's say that other company is using the same (generic) device id for their gear and have paid the license, it would be unfair to post a download link since topping has decided not to do so.

Anyway as I said before there's zero difference in sound, stability (at least in my system) and functionality between older and newer drivers, you aren't missing anything and after testing I reverted back to the ones supplied by Topping.

Keltere

Xmos drivers are made by a company named Thesycon, manufacturers have to pay them to distribute the drivers. Let's say that other company is using the same (generic) device id for their gear and have paid the license, it would be unfair to post a download link since topping has decided not to do so.

Anyway as I said before there's zero difference in sound, stability (at least in my system) and functionality between older and newer drivers, you aren't missing anything and after testing I reverted back to the ones supplied by Topping.

Well we are not stealing or pirating something.
We will never being able to get an update driver from topping because of PID and VID are the same and the supplier refuses to do something.
It's not about features but compatibility with windows 10.
Please if you know something at least tell us the name of that other company.

Last edited:

Keltere

At least please, could tell me the version number you tested?
The latest compatible i've found it's from JLsounds and it's version 3.34 but that didn't work.

Last edited:

Jimmy

Thesycon drivers are licensed and signed for each manufacturer, and the ones distributed by Topping are fully compatible with Windows 10, I'm using them and both ASIO and wasapi work, the slight glare/brightness that I notice with ASIO is present with all drivers that I've tested (in fact that's the reason why I tested different drivers, to see if it would go away).

Keltere

Thesycon drivers are licensed and signed for each manufacturer, and the ones distributed by Topping are fully compatible with Windows 10, I'm using them and both ASIO and wasapi work, the slight glare/brightness that I notice with ASIO is present with all drivers that I've tested (in fact that's the reason why I tested different drivers, to see if it would go away).
Capture.JPG

Nope they aren't. Maybe you have disabled the driver signature verification because that it's the only way to make them work under windows 10 1809
Could you please tell me the other version number, the one from another manufacturer?

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
There are newer drivers that work with the D30, just not from Topping, look at the device id and google around. .

How about posting the search string...

mindbomb

I'm confused. The topping page has drivers from 2018. Those don't work?

Keltere

How about posting the search string...
USB\VID_20B1&PID_3066

I'm confused. The topping page has drivers from 2018. Those don't work?
Not with last version of windows 10 (1809). You can use it but you need to disable driver signature verification (not safe).
Just with D30 there is a problem, D10, D50 and DX7S aren't affected by this problem because they have the last driver from xmos (4.11)

Tene

YOU ARE A FUCKING PRO!
Ehm... Sorry.
Yes it seems it's working just fine. Thanks you helped everyone with a Topping D30.
You are welcome.
Doesn't change the fact Topping should take their responsibility and release their own update though.

Keltere

You are welcome.
Doesn't change the fact Topping should take on their responsability and release their own update though.
I've contacted them and they can't provide a new driver because the supplier doesn't want to provide it.
The problem is the PID and VID present on d30 board that is the same as the board provided by xmos, they changed them for D10, D50 and DX7 and so they got a 4.11 driver release.

Tene

I've contacted them and they can't provide a new driver because the supplier doesn't want to provide it.
The problem is the PID and VID present on d30 board that is the same as the board provided by xmos, they changed them for D10, D50 and DX7 and so they got a 4.11 driver release.
Too bad, the customers are the ones to suffer the consequences of this story :rolleyes:

Jimmy

That's right Topping seems to have reused the vid&pid from Xmos evaluation board:

https://www.thesycon.de/eng/faq.shtml

By Thesycon's policy a license must be purchased by the manufacturer and the vid&pid must be unique. That doesn't explain why other manufacturers are distributing more recent drivers (I'm not talking about chinese ones like gustard).

However that's a thing that I don't like about Xmos, the lack of universal drivers.

Top Bottom