• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D30 DAC Measurement and Review

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I finally found how the pop took place. Set Foobar2000 for WASAPI with 24 bit output, play music. Close the program. Start VLC, a DS application, and play a video. It pops when the sound starts. It's solved by setting Foobar for 32 bit output and DS for 48k/32bit on the win 10 sound properties page.

euparkeria

HI, I just bought this DAC but am having some issues with the drivers. First I noticed that the format selection screen shows 32bit and 24bit but not 16bit mode, isn't 32bit only available for DSD, and why is 16 bit missing? I tried installing its drivers but after doing that and restarting Windows the D30 is stuck in "locked" mode until I change USB port. I am using Windows 10. Anyone else has any idea why that is?

audio-devices.png

Untitled.png

Grave

There is no reason to use 16 bit or 32 bit. Use 24 bit. Disable other DAC's.

Last edited:

Grave

What selections do you have in that screen? I expected to see 16 bit and 24 bit but instead, 24 and 32 bit appeared.

It's the same for me. Again, there is no point in using 16 bit.

Last edited:

gvl

Major Contributor
What selections do you have in that screen? I expected to see 16 bit and 24 bit but instead, 24 and 32 bit appeared.

Ideally you should be using a music player that uses Wasapi or ASIO to send audio data to the DAC, then these settings would only be used for things like system sounds and audio in the browser (youtube and what not).

As for your question, 16 bit mode is often unavailable on modern USB interfaces, just use 24, no harm doing so.

D

Deleted member 2944

You don't have the driver installed correctly yet.
It should show up as "XMOS USB Audio" in your Device Manager, and there should be an appropriate 2.0 ST control panel as well.
Dave.

euparkeria

Yes, It was able to install now and shows up with XMOS USB AUDIO, also the 16bit mode appeared as well. I don't see a control panel though.

Grave

I found the driver on the Topping website, but wtf does it do? I have never owned a DAC which required a manual driver update. What does Windows install as a driver then?

euparkeria

I don't know what it does but after installing it the DAC's supported modes are properly displayed in the audio control panel.

gvl

Major Contributor
It is the native XMOS driver for their chipset, it comes with a control panel that allows some tweaks to the buffers and such. It may expose additional formats, like the 16 bit word size, to the operating system but it is not very important. It is not required on W10 as it now supports UAC2 devices natively.

gvl

Major Contributor
It usually shows up in the system tray and typically manufacturer-branded. When you open it, it looks something like this but with a different device name in the title bar:

df4c97b3f590b32fc24c09a794f675e0.jpg

Last edited:

gvl

Major Contributor
Topping cheaped out and didn't get a full license. No biggie.

Top Bottom