• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping d10s vs Breeze Audio (both ES9038Q2M + XMOS XU208 + etc)

wbh

The popular Topping d10s DAC sells for $100.

If you search on eBay or Ali, you can get a very similar "generic name" models for roughly 1/2 the price.

Anyone directly compare the two?

The eBay "Breeze Audio" from chinaaudiostore: -- $56.00 "Mini ES9038Q2M DAC HiFi XMOS XU208 USB ES9038 DSD DAC Soundcard Headphone Out"

Some pics of Breeze Audio:

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Some pics of Topping d10:

361A4331_20180129094705.jpg

361A4301_20180129094704.jpg

Inside-jpg.jpg

Inside-2-jpg.jpg

================

Some "obvious" diffs:

Front display

Op-amps

Power (d10: USB; Breeze: external 12v)

Inputs (USB only for Breeze; d10 has spdif + USB)

Outputs (Breeze also had headphone out -- is it vol. controlled ???)

Crystal XO size ( larger units used in Breeze)

No electro caps in Breeze (seems to use Tantalums instead)

ETC...........

Tiller

SPDIF of D10(s) is Output!
Is any kind of 12V adapter in the package?

OP
W

wbh

SPDIF of D10(s) is Output!
Is any kind of 12V adapter in the package?
"SPDIF of D10(s) is Output!" If that's TRUE (Topping did not mis-label) one is paying for an essentially useless feature.
"Is any kind of 12V adapter in the package?" Why don't you be a LITTLE LESS LAZY and check for your WORTHLESS self!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nemo

Forum Donor
The chip used gives you an indication of the potential performance, but the results depends on the final implementation.

Topping has a great record on their performance shown in the independent ASR reviews, including the D10s that approaches complete audio transparency, while the Breeze Audio is an unknown. Furthermore, there has been some reliability problems with some Topping DACs (DX3 pro), but given their popularity my personal impression is that they are mostly well made and reliable. They also include proper eletrical certiications that many other manufacturers do not. I have been using a D10 for over a year as a USB bridge to connect my digital library to my CD player and can't be any happier, but in the end it is up to you to decide if the difference in price is justifiable.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
I would not trust that [ RIDICULOUS, lazy and reason-less response above] whatsoever.
It may be lazy but consider this is a no-brand item, and looking inside the appearance of chips, resistors and soldering do not inspire confidence. Topping D10s is $100. I would save up for that. That is my advice, take it or leave it..

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
It may be lazy but consider this is a no-brand item, and looking inside the appearance of chips, resistors and soldering do not inspire confidence. Topping D10s is $100. I would save up for that. That is my advice, take it or leave it..
Don't waste extra time on him.

Veri

Master Contributor
"SPDIF of D10(s) is Output!" If that's TRUE (Topping did not mis-label) one is paying for an essentially useless feature.
Useless feature? Plenty of people are using it as a cheap digital converter. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Why don't you be a LITTLE LESS LAZY and check for your WORTHLESS self!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's uncalled for....

Don't waste extra time on him.
Agreed.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
"Is any kind of 12V adapter in the package?" Why don't you be a LITTLE LESS LAZY and check for your WORTHLESS self!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bye now.

3125b

Major Contributor

Nemo

Forum Donor
In case anyone is looking for a serious answer: It's all a question of the implementation, the DAC chip(s) used don't say anything about the performance of a device.
Here are two ESS 9030Pro in a "generic china device" (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ments-of-weiliang-audio-2019-dc300-dac.10094/):
View attachment 85511
And here is one 9028 in the Okto Stereo (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/okto-dac8-stereo-dac-review.14705/):
View attachment 85514
These are the type of responses that educate people that is seriously interested in learning, and use that knowledge to take a personal decision on what it is important for them. We are moving in that direction, and makes me happy to be part of such a community.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
In case anyone is looking for a serious answer: It's all a question of the implementation, the DAC chip(s) used don't say anything about the performance of a device.
Here are two ESS 9030Pro in a "generic china device" (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ments-of-weiliang-audio-2019-dc300-dac.10094/):
View attachment 85511
And here is one 9028 in the Okto Stereo (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/okto-dac8-stereo-dac-review.14705/):
View attachment 85514
Why not just post something from topping or matrix or smsl for that matter... I still don't feel good seeing 'generic china device'...Even though I have to agree about that brand.

Nemo

Forum Donor
Why not just post something from topping or matrix or smsl for that matter... I still don't feel good seeing 'generic china device'...Even though I have to agree about that brand.
That is a fair point, but I think @3125b simply tried to give a general example on how implementation is more important in measured objective performance that the chip used. I agree that the expression in quotes was unfortunate, but given the tone of the response I belive s/he was just using a frequently used expression. Most of ASR members respect and admire good engineering, regardless of country of origin: keep up the good work!

Veri

Master Contributor
Maybe he should have said 'generic aliexpress' device or something :p with focus on 'generic' hehe

3125b

Major Contributor
I had those pictures on hand. The Okto stands for any device with known good performane.
"generic china device" is what I would call this "Breeze Audio" DAC, 'cause that's what these things are from my point of view, just random stuff sold on eBay etc. without any guarantee for quality or consistency, with nobody standing behind them.
That's not to say that even expensive brands do it better, I'd consider myself a harsh critic of Ultrasone for example, a German brand that makes a lot of crap, frankly.

Veri

Master Contributor
I had those pictures on hand. The Okto stands for any device with known good performane.
"generic china device" is what I would call this "Breeze Audio" DAC, 'cause that's what these things are from my point of view, just random stuff sold on eBay etc. without any guarantee for quality or consistency, with nobody standing behind them.
That's not to say that even expensive brands do it better, I'd consider myself a harsh critic of Ultrasone for example, a German brand that makes a lot of crap, frankly.
The issue here is that the term 'Generic China' is using China as an derogatory adjective which is hugely unkind to top Chinese performers like your own E30 ;) there are obviously solidly engineered devices out there, too.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
I would not trust that [ RIDICULOUS, lazy and reason-less response above] whatsoever.

Breeze Audio is also known as Weiliang Audio.

Its with good reason that its generally frowned on in view of engineering implementation. They have not had a good track record. And unless they do something like Schiit did in cleaning up their designs, they will continually be frowned upon here.

Here are some examples of which their products have been measured here on ASR and affiliates.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ments-of-breeze-audio-es9018-dac-hp-amp.8818/

And a top of the line DUAL 9038Pro model.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ments-of-weiliang-audio-2019-dc300-dac.10094/

Top Bottom