• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D10s USB DAC and Bridge Review

Veri

Master Contributor
At least we got a common on the stuff we've heard except R2R. My enjoyment in music doesn't involve me doing proper matched test. I just listen to music. So sue me :)
No offense, I'm not saying you can't enjoy what you enjoy. Some like to buy overly expensive stuff just to feel good, aesthetics, ... I'm just saying there's no real basis to it. People can enjoy something basic like the D10s just the same.. :)

raif71

Major Contributor
No offense, I'm not saying you can't enjoy what you enjoy. Some like to buy overly expensive stuff just to feel good, aesthetics, ... I'm just saying there's no real basis to it. People can enjoy something basic like the D10s just the same.. :)
No problem. I expect all the flak that I should be getting around here. I've got thick hide you know. I'm expecting l30 and d10s (I already have the d10 and e30) this week coming to the local shops around my area. Can't wait to try the l30.

Last edited:

gvl

Major Contributor
I'm not surprised as ESS is brighter than AKM. I experienced this comparing nx4dsd vs q5s. In any case, like you said is subjective but nonetheless "observable data" collated between us , objectively speaking :)

My equally useless subjective opinion is just the opposite. On the thread topic, I've just bought a D10s from a member here and it is awesome, my Khadas Tone Board will now be finally retired to automotive duties. I want to say the D10s sounds a tad cleaner than the Khadas, but it is probably my brain conditioned by staring at the graphs here. Regardless, it is very good open and clean sound with stunning level of details rendered just right is my opinion listening through Adam A3X speakers. Strangely I could never warm up to the DX3Pro sound, to me it sounds brighter than both the Khadas and the D10s and I get bothered noticing the effects while listening. Yes, I tried a non-exhaustive blind test and couldn't tell the difference, go figure.

Last edited:

338h10

Since rolling the op-amp is an option, does anyone know how many volts are being supplied to the op-amp? As you know, some op-amps won't work/work well under a lower voltage.

Also, are there any DC-blocking capacitors following the op-amp outputs? Depending on the design of the op-amp circuit, the caps may not be needed at all (which would be great).

Thanks!

338h10

A high-rez picture of the output portion of the board would be very helpful as well!

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Now my OG DX7 has been beaten with the lowest end part.... the D10... Audio has become like CPU's! My DX7 is barely 3 years old and it has been outdone...
I would love if Amir would retest the OG DX7 on the "new" / current test bench.

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I took possession of a D10s yesterday to use with my PC. I tend to listen on my PC whilst doing other things (sometimes working!). My serious listening takes place with headphones. As a result of this I had a very limited budget. Picked up a pair of Presonus 3.5 active monitors which seem okay. I was running this through my sound card but couldn't resist the temptation to get the D10s.

Obviously in my (subjective) mind the set up now "sounds" better, although I very much doubt that it is. I suspect that my ears are being befuddled by the presence of an attractive DAC that tells me the playback frequency.

Anyway, I'm really pleased with this little addition to my study. It has found a home and it is welcome to stay!

Trdat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Yeh, we have had a few. If you ever start "hearing your computer" through your DAC/system, then Toslink is the best way to avoid it. Alas, many systems lack a Toslink input in which case you can use a "bridge" like D10/D10s to get it.

I have had to resort to Toslink myself but fortunately my desktop has Toslink output.

But the measurements we see is for the DAC output. You said on the UDIO-8 you found a good template for measuring digital output devices. And this bridging on the D10 constitutes as a digital to digital output device and no measurements similar to the ones we saw on the UDIO-8.(Unless I missed it)

I am presuming no digital to analogue conversion right when going from USB to SPDIF?

Can we get measurements to confirm the bridging is as good as the DAC output? Or can you confirm the measurements above do correlate with the bridging being as good?

GeorgeWalk

Just got my D10s today. Set it up with a Raspberry Pi 4 and Pi Core Player.
RPI 4 D10s.jpg

maxp779

Anyone got any pics of the internal circuitry? Would be interesting to compare directly with the D10 to see if much has changed.

338h10

Good thing that the Omron relay is gone. Not sure what the new SMD following the output op amp is. Anyone by chance can spot its marking?

Also interesting that OPA1656 are used for I/V -- great op amp, but one of its key "specialties" is its high current output ability (100ma), which is of little use here in the I/V stage.

Last edited:

338h10

Since rolling the op-amp is an option, does anyone know how many volts are being supplied to the op-amp? As you know, some op-amps won't work/work well under a lower voltage.

Also, are there any DC-blocking capacitors following the op-amp outputs? Depending on the design of the op-amp circuit, the caps may not be needed at all (which would be great).

Thanks!
Topping said the op amp supply is +/- 5.5v. It's alright.

wiz2596

Quick question: taking into consideration windows 10 has now support for usb audio class 2.0, is there an actual benefit from installing drivers provided from topping site?

1597112831100.png

audiojoe

Asio and native dsd.
Hey there, got my d10s and loving it so much^^
So I have a question about Topping's Asio driver. I usuall have my windows sampling rate set to 44.1khz and 32 bit. When I play music either through foobar or Jriver that is also 44.1, it is NOT exclusive. I can still play other audio sources like my browser for example. However, when I play different sampling rates, it does seem to be exclusive and it stops all other sound sources like it should. So does it properly bypass the windows audio stack? I really do not want it to potentially be affected by windows's volume limiter, mixing or other shenanigans windows does, as I read bad things about it. I want everything to be bit perfect. Right now I just switch my windows sampling rate to 176.4 each time I listen to keep my paranoia in check lol
Also ordered the l30 btw and cannot wait for it to arrive!^^

Top Bottom