• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D10s USB DAC and Bridge Review

Illtrick

Tremendous. Now, if they could just package a little WiFi antenna....
Need a lot more than an antenna to get wifi. The real reason companies don't do it is the creation and continued software support that's required. Sell a piece of kit for extremely tight margins and then have to keep a software engineer on the payroll for years to come.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
This is becoming boring, it's time to see some bad measuring DACs.
Anyone got a PS Audio or Audio-GD DAC laying around?

CerealKiller

Does anyone know some good technical information or article regarding ground loops and how to deal with them? I bought the original D10 and sadly its doing paperweight dutyies because of terrible noise generated on its output when conected vía USB to my desktop PC (laptop performs noisless as expected). Thanks again Amir for this Review as always

confucius_zero

Addicted to Fun and Learning

CerealKiller

Yeh, we have had a few. If you ever start "hearing your computer" through your DAC/system, then Toslink is the best way to avoid it. Alas, many systems lack a Toslink input in which case you can use a "bridge" like D10/D10s to get it.

I have had to resort to Toslink myself but fortunately my desktop has Toslink output.
Any piece of tech info or article on how to deal with ground loops without recurring to galvanic isolation you could refer to me at Amir? My D10 is unusable with desktop PC because of that reason. So its been D10 to DX3pro wich i find unapealing....

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Does anyone know some good technical information or article regarding ground loops and how to deal with them? I bought the original D10 and sadly its doing paperweight dutyies because of terrible noise generated on its output when conected vía USB to my desktop PC (laptop performs noisless as expected). Thanks again Amir for this Review as always
https://www.jensen-transformers.com/application-notes/
AN007 is pretty comprehensive, but the others are worth a look too.

Digital coax outputs are often (but not always) transformer coupled for isolation.

Last edited:

jeffbook

Good to see another great, affordable option. What is the advantage of feeding another DAC downstream of this one using one of the Toslink outputs? Is there an existing discussion/primer of this elsewhere on ASR?

If you are using devices like a couple of miniDSP units downstream in an active configuration for crossover and EQ, the D10 or D10s fits the bill as a USB bride to TOSlink for the input on say a miniDSP 2x4HD.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
https://shenzhenaudio.com/products/...208-es9018k2m-opa2134-audio-amplifier-decoder

Op-amp LME49720NA

147d0608c22548a8bbbe3504705903cd.jpg

Rolling (replacing) Op-amps in Topping D10 DAC
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ng-replacing-op-amps-in-topping-d10-dac.4576/
I'd say opamp rolling can only make it worse.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Good to see another great, affordable option. What is the advantage of feeding another DAC downstream of this one using one of the Toslink outputs? Is there an existing discussion/primer of this elsewhere on ASR?
Fits an odd use I have in mind for a bedroom system. Have a power amp for speakers which only takes SPDIF inputs. Will use the analog outputs for a sub. Not a common situation, but this is just what I need.

Tks

Major Contributor
It's a miracle, a proper filter on a device with non-selectable filters? Can someone give these guys an award for paying attention? Usually we're greeted with dumb slow filters and such. Also really cool to see repurposed SPDIF I/O, really wish DAC makers would start differentiating themselves like this with better and more I/O offerings like this. Very few do this, and I would assume the costs aren't THAT astronomical to add multiples or digital output I/O (pretty helpful for people with lots of devices).

This thing is great.

Last edited:

Sak

Great update to my d10. Also i have e30. But I will be happy to order this baby.
Thank you very much for review!

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Going the ip based network audio streaming route is never "just package a little WiFi antenna" It's a whole different can of worm. Your comment should read "Now if an asian based manufacturer could manage to just package a well performing streamer for less than 500$" I would put a thumbs up to this.
You're kidding, right? I can get an entire arduino board with wifi - retail - for $18. What would it cost - each - to buy 5,000 of them? With wifi could be $50 more for a big fat margin and $150 total retail price. Load with free volumio software. https://store.arduino.cc/usa/nano-33-iot

Last edited:
Top Bottom