• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D10s USB DAC and Bridge Review

confucius_zero

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Mashcky

Forum Donor
Good to see another great, affordable option. What is the advantage of feeding another DAC downstream of this one using one of the Toslink outputs? Is there an existing discussion/primer of this elsewhere on ASR?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Good to see another great, affordable option. What is the advantage of feeding another DAC downstream of this one using one of the Toslink outputs? Is there an existing discussion/primer of this elsewhere on ASR?
Yeh, we have had a few. If you ever start "hearing your computer" through your DAC/system, then Toslink is the best way to avoid it. Alas, many systems lack a Toslink input in which case you can use a "bridge" like D10/D10s to get it.

I have had to resort to Toslink myself but fortunately my desktop has Toslink output.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Optically isolating the second DAC to break ground loops. It's only relevant if you have an issue with ground loops.

Mashcky

Forum Donor
Optically isolating the second DAC to break ground loops. It's only relevant if you have an issue with ground loops.
Are both DACs operable in this configuration, thereby doubling the channel count (2Ls and 2Rs)? Or does only use this DAC as an expensive converter to the better-isolated Toslink cable?

I may be confusing "bridging" with "chaining" DACs together, e.g. adding two more channels for subwoofers.

PeteL

Major Contributor
Are both DACs operable in this configuration, thereby doubling the channel count (2Ls and 2Rs)? Or does only use this DAC as an expensive converter to the better-isolated Toslink cable?

I may be confusing "bridging" with "chaining" DACs together, e.g. adding two more channels for subwoofers.
The answer is no, your computer won't see anything else than the 2 channel USB interface

confucius_zero

This is becoming boring, it's time to see some bad measuring DACs.

Or a test bench update to make sure high SINAD DAC aren't faltering at other metrics. There should always be room for improvements.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

For eg- this DAC only has one set of outputs- so lets say go USB from PC to this one, use RCA outs to a headphone output. Then run a toslink to another DAC which you use to feed a speaker amp.

I have 3 DACs fed from my streamer's coax and optical outs- lots of amps!

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Or a test bench update to make sure high SINAD DAC aren't faltering at other metrics. There should always be room for improvements.
He tests other attributes- what would your proposed tests entail?

flipflop

Agreed. Some D10 and early E30 units had issues with inverted polarity. I can't recommend this product in good conscience until I see a polarity measurement.

confucius_zero

what would your proposed tests entail?
none for now, what about you?

There should be a thread for test-bench update proposals.

3125b

Major Contributor
Good job Topping - and Amir
At 99$ there is some competition by now, however the TOSLINK and coaxial outputs might be an argument for some, nice side-grade from the E30 in that regard.

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Tremendous. Now, if they could just package a little WiFi antenna....

PeteL

Major Contributor
Tremendous. Now, if they could just package a little WiFi antenna....
Going the ip based network audio streaming route is never "just package a little WiFi antenna" It's a whole different can of worm. Your comment should read "Now if an asian based manufacturer could manage to just package a well performing streamer for less than 500$" I would put a thumbs up to this.

Top Bottom