• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D10s USB DAC and Bridge Review

I find D10s sounds way way worse than my old AKM version of Schiit Modi 3, not even as clean as the headphone out of my MacBook Air. It's sterile and harsh. Even used as SPDIF converter, it is worse than FiiO K3. Cases like this makes me wonder, is there anything important that we forgot to meassure?

Tangband

Major Contributor
I just got this, and the D10S will go on the shelve :

Interesting . Is this new product better than Topping D10s used as a DDC , in what way ? is the sound better ?

Last edited:

JasonC331

Forum Donor
Interesting . Is this new product better than Topping D10s used as a DDC , in what way ? is the sound better ?
Yeah, I will bite, yes it does, But only because the D10S and B wouldn't stay locked to my MRX740 which digitizes all inputs (no direct or analog bypass) but it has the latest XMOS and their spec sheet looks nice for noise. So yes it sounds better

JasonC331

Forum Donor
There's no way you can "hear" the spdif signal lol. Sorry. Either way if you don't like it, can you send it back?
Really, Sure about that? Can you not hear the difference between SPIDIF Cables?

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Really, Sure about that? Can you not hear the difference between SPIDIF Cables?

I know I definitely can't. Or rather, it would be very mysterious if I could. It would be like saying I could taste the difference between water that had been running in a blue pipe and water that had been running in a yellow pipe. It would be a very bold claim of me to make.

NSX

Going the ip based network audio streaming route is never "just package a little WiFi antenna" It's a whole different can of worm. Your comment should read "Now if an asian based manufacturer could manage to just package a well performing streamer for less than 500$" I would put a thumbs up to this.

1.jpg

5218c382-a7dd-4078-b8a6-cf291c4fd7bc.jpg

3.jpg

This incredible well sounding system made by Sony had everything somebody wished for at the time (2014) and was sold well under 500$, nice speaker included. Comparing Sonys 30 lbs package full of technology, I think all that little mostly emty chinese matchboxes are way way overpriced.

I'm still use the Sony to stream my lossless FLAC files via PCM Strem (BubbleUPnP) from my mobile phone to Sonys the internal DAC.

I hope you agree that for the 100+bucks you are asked to spend for, you get fairly little.

Last edited:

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
I hope you agree that for the 100+bucks you are asked to spend for, you get fairly little.

Very few features, but high objective performance. Whether it's audible or not is another question, but people are usually happy to pay a lot to satisfy their fear of missing out.

And then there's build quality, reliability and ease of repairability/replacement.

fjc36

Note: this is a new product. I can't vouch for its reliability in your situation. For me, the D10s was plug and play and worked reliably. It may not for you.
Dear Amir, I can not find whether D10S has a LNRD circuit (developed by Topping on DX1, E30)? Can you help? Because the USB input of data and power worries me and perhaps many others. We were told a separate linear power supply can clears the background and sound quality. Is it a mist? Besides, do you think install a USB isolator like ADU3160/4160 to isolate the noise comes from the PC will ready help and is a solution to reach tested level of SNR and Distortions, Please reply.

Diable

View attachment 252265
View attachment 252266
View attachment 252268

This incredible well sounding system made by Sony had everything somebody wished for at the time (2014) and was sold well under 500$, nice speaker included. Comparing Sonys 30 lbs package full of technology, I think all that little mostly emty chinese matchboxes are way way overpriced.

I'm still use the Sony to stream my lossless FLAC files via PCM Strem (BubbleUPnP) from my mobile phone to Sonys the internal DAC.

Lol, judging technically based on how much it weights is retarded. By your logic, a 25" wood grain console tv from the 70's is better than a 60" 8k OLED tv simply because weights more.

JasonC331

Forum Donor
Dear Amir, I can not find whether D10S has a LNRD circuit (developed by Topping on DX1, E30)? Can you help? Because the USB input of data and power worries me and perhaps many others. We were told a separate linear power supply can clears the background and sound quality. Is it a mist? Besides, do you think install a USB isolator like ADU3160/4160 to isolate the noise comes from the PC will ready help and is a solution to reach tested level of SNR and Distortions, Please reply.

fjc36

There is a solution how to easily separate USB signal from USB power.

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/dc-p...e-for-external-usb-a-power-supply-p-8389.html

usb-b-adapter-cable-for-external-usb-a-power-supply.jpg

8389_adaptateurUSB-B_USB-A_45.jpg

Now external linear power supply can be used. Could someone tell what power should have this external power supply? Is 5V 1A enough? What if I will connect 5V 2A?
I have a idea, why not attach a Topping USB isolator H01 to isolate data noise and use its extra power inlet to connect to an external DC power supply or a wall 2A switching power plug to improve induced PC PS noise level. Please give commit. It costs more but save the expense to buy much more expensive D50s (cost USD 250) just to obtain a separate power inlet. There is a choice to use more expensive Topping H02 but may not be necessary.

anotherhobby

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have a idea, why not attach a Topping USB isolator H01 to isolate data noise and use its extra power inlet to connect to an external DC power supply or a wall 2A switching power plug to improve induced PC PS noise level. Please give commit. It costs more but save the expense to buy much more expensive D50s (cost USD 250) just to obtain a separate power inlet. There is a choice to use more expensive Topping H02 but may not be necessary.
This is good advice.

I've been using the D10s to air-gap my Mac from my system recently from my miniDSP Flex. The Flex has worked great for well over a year without any noise until I added a 2nd miniDSP 2x4HD hanging off the Flex to run more subs. Nothing I tried would get rid of the ground/CPU noise coming from my Mac... that is until I got the Topping H01 just last week that you mention. In my case this worked well, and my measurements confirmed that for me.

Below are measurements taken from my miniDSP 2x4HD's inputs, which is being fed from a miniDSP Flex that's getting a wash of CPU and ground noise from my Mac.
  • The BROWN line is the nasty wash of NOISE from my Mac when the Flex is plugged in directly (no audio output from Mac). This is HIGHLY audible and amazingly annoying in my subs, even from other rooms!
  • The RED line is what happens as soon as I plug in the Topping H01 between the Flex and my Mac.
  • The darker GREEN line right next to red line is a "control" which is when nothing is plugged into the miniDSP 2x4HD inputs
To give a loose idea idea of SNR:
  • the BLUE line in the max audio output of the miniDSP Flex at 0dB with the Topping H01 (peak RTA using pink noise)
  • the GREEN line right under the blue is same, except -27dB (my usual listening level)

topping-hs01.png

I'd love to track down and see if I can find and reduce that 60 hz mains noise that's still present, but it's absolutely inaudible in my subs, so I'm not sure how much I care. I'm really just here to say I also endorse the HS1 as being effective for me as well. :)

Last edited:

Tony_db

Hi guys, I am having a problem and I wanted to ask if you have some experience with it. I have a D10 that I use as a usb to Spdif converter, for my coaxial dac. Today, my dac has one channel that's much lower volume (left side). I tried inverting all the rca in the system, and the problem can be either the dac, or the d10.
Could the D10 be the culprit? Is this something that could happen? Sound not really cutting, but just lower volume because of coax output...?

wiz2596

Is there an actual benefit on installing the driver provided by topping or just leave it alone with windows stock UAC2 driver?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Is there an actual benefit on installing the driver provided by topping or just leave it alone with windows stock UAC2 driver?
The Topping driver will give you an ASIO interface for your DAC, which may be required for certain use cases (DAW, native DSD, scientific software, etc.)

sound52

This is a review and detailed measurements of the Topping D10s USB DAC and S/PDIF plus Toslink bridge. It was kindly sent to me by the company for testing. The D10s has a retail cost of US $99.

Let me start by confessing that the original D10 was one of my favorites with its cute orange display, and very reasonable cost. I was pleased that the former was kept the same although the price seems to have increased some:

View attachment 74667

The back panel is as before:

View attachment 74668

Note that the Toslink and S/PDIFs are outputs, not typical inputs. The Toslink can for example be used to break ground loops when feeding another DAC downstream of it.

As you see the markings, and like other Topping products, they enjoy full regulatory safety and emissions certifications.

DAC Audio Measurements
As usual we start with our dashboard of 1 kHz digitally created ton and examine what analog results we get:

View attachment 74669

Nice! SINAD which is the sum of distortion and noise has risen by 6 dB, placing the D10s at the dinner table with bigger boys:

View attachment 74670

View attachment 74671

Distortion is incredibly low at -120 dB which is well below threshold of hearing. In other words, you have assured transparency.

Signal to noise ration is likewise very good:
View attachment 74672

There is one filter which is the "correct" one, which we sadly don't see often:
View attachment 74673

Intermodulation+noise shows excellent response at the limit:

View attachment 74674

The curve never tilts up which indicates distortion is always less than the noise floor.

32-tone test signal resembling "music" shows how well distortion is controllled:

View attachment 74675

THD+N versus frequency using much wider bandwidth than the dashboard test is such:

View attachment 74676

Jitter is visually a bit cluttered but objectively and subjectively is more than fine:

View attachment 74677

Linearity is perfect:

View attachment 74678

Finally if you are going to reduce volume upstream of the DAC, here is how the performance varies:

View attachment 74679

If your amplifier requires 1 volt to reach its maximum power, your DAC SINAD is between 107 to 110 dB depending on channel. This means if you have an amplifier with SINAD of 100 dB, the DAC contributions will be insignificant (you want upstream devices to be 10 dB better).

Conclusions
My favorite little DAC has grown up in performance and to some extent in price. Measured performance is stellar for the category leaving just enough gap for state-of-the-art DACs to make a living with higher performance and cost. If you want a very performant DAC, that is nice to look at but doesn't cost you much, D10s is for you. And oh, the USB to S/PDIF and Toslink bridge is a bonus (or demerit if you need those as inputs).

I am happy to strongly recommend the Topping D10s DAC.

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

I need to teach our panthers to mow our large field as that is taking away time from doing reviews. Apparently they make specialized mowers for four-legged animals (they can steer with their paws rather than a steering wheels). Alas, they cost good money so I need plenty of donations to buy one: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
Thank you for your review on D10s and other DACs- it is a great help especially for a newbie to hi res stream world. I am confused by this statement -
If your amplifier requires 1 volt to reach its maximum power, your DAC SINAD is between 107 to 110 dB depending on channel. This means if you have an amplifier with SINAD of 100 dB, the DAC contributions will be insignificant (you want upstream devices to be 10 dB better).

I want to connect to a wiim pro/Rogue integrated pre amp/ EMIT 20 speakers- will this DAC NOT get the max sound? (sound might not be the correct word) and or should I get the D10? OR ... ( tight budget and rather spend bulk money on vinyl and up grading those toys...)
kindly

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
I want to connect to a wiim pro/Rogue integrated pre amp/ EMIT 20 speakers- will this DAC NOT get the max sound? (sound might not be the correct word) and or should I get the D10s? OR ...
Why not the WiiM Pro Plus?

Its analog output is measurably (not audibly) better than the D10s, plus you'd have one fewer box laying around.

sound52

This is a review and detailed measurements of the Topping D10s USB DAC and S/PDIF plus Toslink bridge. It was kindly sent to me by the company for testing. The D10s has a retail cost of US $99.

Let me start by confessing that the original D10 was one of my favorites with its cute orange display, and very reasonable cost. I was pleased that the former was kept the same although the price seems to have increased some:

View attachment 74667

The back panel is as before:

View attachment 74668

Note that the Toslink and S/PDIFs are outputs, not typical inputs. The Toslink can for example be used to break ground loops when feeding another DAC downstream of it.

As you see the markings, and like other Topping products, they enjoy full regulatory safety and emissions certifications.

DAC Audio Measurements
As usual we start with our dashboard of 1 kHz digitally created ton and examine what analog results we get:

View attachment 74669

Nice! SINAD which is the sum of distortion and noise has risen by 6 dB, placing the D10s at the dinner table with bigger boys:

View attachment 74670

View attachment 74671

Distortion is incredibly low at -120 dB which is well below threshold of hearing. In other words, you have assured transparency.

Signal to noise ration is likewise very good:
View attachment 74672

There is one filter which is the "correct" one, which we sadly don't see often:
View attachment 74673

Intermodulation+noise shows excellent response at the limit:

View attachment 74674

The curve never tilts up which indicates distortion is always less than the noise floor.

32-tone test signal resembling "music" shows how well distortion is controllled:

View attachment 74675

THD+N versus frequency using much wider bandwidth than the dashboard test is such:

View attachment 74676

Jitter is visually a bit cluttered but objectively and subjectively is more than fine:

View attachment 74677

Linearity is perfect:

View attachment 74678

Finally if you are going to reduce volume upstream of the DAC, here is how the performance varies:

View attachment 74679

Conclusions
My favorite little DAC has grown up in performance and to some extent in price. Measured performance is stellar for the category leaving just enough gap for state-of-the-art DACs to make a living with higher performance and cost. If you want a very performant DAC, that is nice to look at but doesn't cost you much, D10s is for you. And oh, the USB to S/PDIF and Toslink bridge is a bonus (or demerit if you need those as inputs).

I am happy to strongly recommend the Topping D10s DAC.

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

I need to teach our panthers to mow our large field as that is taking away time from doing reviews. Apparently they make specialized mowers for four-legged animals (they can steer with their paws rather than a steering wheels). Alas, they cost good money so I need plenty of donations to buy one: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Why not the WiiM Pro Plus?

Its analog output is measurably (not audibly) better than the D10s, plus you'd have one fewer box laying around.
thank you for your suggestion - I already purchased the Wiim pro and return date has passed.

Frank_G

Is it possible to use the Line out to active speakers and use the S/PDIFs to an active sub?

Top Bottom