• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D10s USB DAC and Bridge Review

Ryeno

At first I thought I had interpreted wrongly the measurements of the DACs and than... "oh, that was a joke" xD
Talking about joke... Just don't juge me. Far from being a example of soldering work but on my defence I had a problem with my iron solder. I won't say anything subjective about how it is souding but there is two things that I can confirm: that's stills working and my audio interfaces are not sensible enought to measure any change - for better or for worst. No meaningful measurable differences on noise either harmonic distortion. But using a sensitive IEM (AKG K321) with L30 on max gain, I was able to hear the background noise from D10s, it stills audible although considerably lower than before. I'm planning to acquire a Cosmos ADC soon, probably it will may tell how bad was mine intervention haha
About the audible background noise... Beside the D10s, I have other DACs as the E50 and a old KTB, this one has a noise similar to the stock D10s and using that as reference, I was able to get a picture of how much the noise was decreased. The modded D10s seems almost as silent as the E50. AKG K321 is a heck of sensitive IEM - in a bad way.
Could you post more pictures of the wires?

You're using an OPA1688?

half_dog

You're using an OPA1688?
Yep, that was the best op amp I had around. I think they are good for this, better than a NE5532. OPA1688 has lower noise, THD and higher current output - important for this application. I can't take more pictures right now but if you need the wiring diagram I might able do to a sketch.

Toku

Major Contributor
If I use the D10s just as Usb-spdif converter to a spdif dac sing Ak4399, can I achieve bitperfect volume control? I would be using Foobar2000 as player
D10s don't have volume control. Just convert the USB input signal to COAX/OPT and output it.
The bitperfect setting is done in the audio player used, but volume control is normally disabled when bitperfect is set.

Rony Lima

Todas as saídas como D10s são simultâneas em paralelo ao mesmo tempo. Não há seleção de prioridade.
Portanto, a mesma transmissão analógica e S/PDIF (também pode ser adaptada ao tempo). No entanto, como uma faixa que o S/PDIF manipulará é de PCM44,1kHz a PCM192kHz, nenhuma taxa divergente e DSD mais alta será. (DSD64 pode produzir DOP)
por favor é possível me responder em relação a esta informação, se eu conectar um sistema de som ACTIVE Edifier 2.1 na saída S/PDIF e outro kit com dois altos falantes, também ACTIVE, também da Edifier, na saída RCA do D10S, vai jogar bem ?

Toku

Major Contributor
por favor é possível me responder em relação a esta informação, se eu conectar um sistema de som ACTIVE Edifier 2.1 na saída S/PDIF e outro kit com dois altos falantes, também ACTIVE, também da Edifier, na saída RCA do D10S, vai jogar bem ?
D10s outputs S/PDIF (OPT/COAX) and RCA simultaneously. Therefore, the connection you say can be made without problems.
However, if you look at the time axis, S/PDIF (OPT/COAX) and RCA may have slight differences due to conversion. So the only way to see how two speaker systems work together is to try them out.

D10s emite S/PDIF (OPT/COAX) e RCA simultaneamente. Portanto, a conexão que você diz pode ser feita sem problemas.
No entanto, se você observar o eixo do tempo, S/PDIF (OPT/COAX) e RCA podem ter pequenas diferenças devido à conversão. Portanto, a única maneira de ver como dois sistemas de alto-falantes funcionam juntos é testá-los.

Last edited:

Rony Lima

D10s emitem S/PDIF (OPt/COAX) e RCA simultaneamente. Portanto, a conexão que você diz pode ser feita sem problemas.
No entanto, se você observar o eixo do tempo, S/PDIF (OPt/COAX) e RCA podem ter pequenas diferenças devido à conversão. Portanto, uma maneira única de ver como dois sistemas de alto-falantes funcionam juntos é testá-los.

D10s emitem S/PDIF (OPt/COAX) e RCA simultaneamente. Portanto, a conexão que você diz pode ser feita sem problemas.
No entanto, se você observar o eixo do tempo, S/PDIF (OPt/COAX) e RCA podem ter pequenas diferenças devido à conversão. Portanto, uma maneira única de ver como dois sistemas de

D10s emite S/PDIF (OPt/COAX) e RCA simultaneamente. Portanto, a conexão que você diz pode ser feita sem problemas.
No entanto, se você observar o eixo do tempo, S/PDIF (OPt/COAX) e RCA podem ter pequenas diferenças devido à conversão. Portanto, a única maneira de ver como dois sistemas de alto-falantes funcionam juntos é testá-los.

No entanto, se você observar o eixo do tempo, S/PDIF (OPt/COAX) e RCA podem ter pequenas diferenças devido à conversão. Portanto, uma maneira única de ver como dois sistemas de alto-falantes funcionam juntos é testá-los.
ok, e se eu usasse as duas saídas S/PDIF (OPt e COAX) ao mesmo tempo, poderia ser melhor em termos de tempo e conversão como você se refere? Obrigado.

Veri

Master Contributor
ok, e se eu usasse as duas saídas S/PDIF (OPt e COAX) ao mesmo tempo, poderia ser melhor em termos de tempo e conversão como você se refere? Obrigado.
Please use some online translator to ask your questions in English. That is the working language here.

Rony Lima

Please use some online translator to ask your questions in English. That is the working language here.
ok, and if I use both S/PDIF (OPt/COAX) at the same time, could it be better in terms of time and conversion as you refer? Thanks

Veri

Master Contributor
ok, and if I use both S/PDIF (OPt/COAX) at the same time, could it be better in terms of time and conversion as you refer? Thanks
Both s/pdif should be the way to go. It will likely work more reliable than S/PDIF & analog RCA :)

Rony Lima

Both s/pdif should be the way to go. It will likely work more reliable than S/PDIF & analog RCA :)
sorry for my lack of experience, but I would like to know just one more information please, the signal when passed in parallel does not become weak?

Toku

Major Contributor
sorry for my lack of experience, but I would like to know just one more information please, the signal when passed in parallel does not become weak?
There is no time lag between OPT and COAX, but the RCA analog output is slightly slower due to the conversion processing by the DAC. There is no choice but to actually try it to see if it affects the sense of hearing. I think it's probably okay.

Overseas

Major Contributor
Is it ok to use this DAC with its optical input and power it by its USB directly to a regular 5V source?

NewbieAudiophileExpert

Is it ok to use this DAC with its optical input and power it by its USB directly to a regular 5V source?
That's not an input, but an output.

This DAC only works in USB mode - with the toslink coaxial out simply being the USB signal converted and bridged into SPDIF.

kaopad999

I'm in the market for a new DAC and the Topping D10s seems to have good reviews. But i came across this review where he says says that the soundstage with this DAC sounds flat and rather one dimensional?

He then goes on to say that the Audioquest Dragongfly Red sounded slightly better.

Can anyone confirm this to be true, or is it just a load of suubjective audiophile nonsense that the reviewer is spouting?

Last edited:

kaopad999

The latter o_Oo_O
I thought that's most likely the case.
It's just that i like to looks at reviews across the whole board.
I've just seen the D10s for the equivalent of 78 USD where i live.
Would you consider this to be a fair price for the Topping D10s during this current time?. Also, is there any other simialr options around ths price point that i should take into consideration?
Many Thanks.

Veri

Master Contributor
I've just seen the D10s for the equivalent of 78 USD where i live.
Would you consider this to be a fair price for the Topping D10s during this current time?. Also, is there any other simialr options around ths price point that i should take into consideration?
Many Thanks.
More than fair IMO. And uh, let me think.. Modi 3E comes to mind but it's like, $129? And E30 II is like $149. You could check used deals too I guess..
My current work desk just uses the Meizu USB as a DAC https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B42ZML9S so if you want to go ultra cheap: 3.5mm to RCA

Jim Tonic

for those who want to use hardware-volume-control with mpd on e.g. a Raspberry Pi:

1. find out mixer name (lets assume D10s is hardware 1,0):
$ amixer -c 1 scontents

in my case it was:
Simple mixer control 'D10s ',0

2. set mixer in mpd-configuration:
$ nano /etc/mpd.conf

audio_output { type "alsa" name "USB_DAC" device "hw:1" mixer_type "hardware" mixer_device "hw:1" mixer_control "D10s " }

Watch out for "space" in mixer_control.

Top Bottom