• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D10s USB DAC and Bridge Review

Rhodes54

@JohnYang1997 I am wondering if the analog outputs on the D10s are DC coupled. I recall it predecessor was, but i'm not sure about this one. If so, it would make the D10s makes a very affordable option for FM broadcasting.

afternine

Hey,
for all of you that are using D10S on Raspberry Pi that is powered on 24/7 running some sort of Raspbian (including Volumio) - you can switch off the D10S by issuing a command:
sudo uhubctl -p 2 -a off

to turn it back on do:
sudo uhubctl -p 2 -a on

Please note that this commands will turn off/on ALL devices connected to RPi's USB ports - ports can not be switched off/on individually.

To install uhubctl utility just do:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install uhubctl

hope this helps someone!

p.s. I guess this trick could be used with D10B, too!

Tony_db

Sorry guys, a couple of questions: as I just need a USB-SPDIF adapter, I would like to understand if this or the D10 Balanced would be the better choice for me. I see that there are some differences in the jitter measurements, but I cannot understand them very well. From a hardware point of view, is the D10 Balanced isolated better (transformer, anything else...)?

Thanks!

usern

D10 Balanced is better for isolated analog connection. I don't think there is any difference between D10s and D10b if you use it as digital signal converter (USB->SPIDF). I use D10s for USB->Coax SPIDF conversion with no problems.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry guys, a couple of questions: as I just need a USB-SPDIF adapter, I would like to understand if this or the D10 Balanced would be the better choice for me. I see that there are some differences in the jitter measurements, but I cannot understand them very well. From a hardware point of view, is the D10 Balanced isolated better (transformer, anything else...)?

Thanks!
I have both plugged into an SMSL SP200 right now and been comparing them all night. They're just different in a few ways, the RCA/XLR of course, and the filters which you probably won't run into. The sharp filter on the D10S is much better for music, but treble is harsh at 48khz for gaming, so I run it at 192khz then, and Foobar auto sets it for music. The D10b filter is best at 48khz gaming, but the D10s sounds better for music. The big thing that made them work so well was a FebSmart 2 Ports USB 3.0 PCIe Card (FS-U2-Pro) card I got on Amazon for $14 and locating it next to a heavily shielded Seasonic power supply, I finally escaped the noisy USB ports at the top of the computer for a silent noise floor.
If you're just using it for an adapter, either one will be just fine. I just wish I hadn't sold my Drop THX 789 because this D10s would sound amazing for music with it. The D10b with the SMSL SP200 is good, but going to take another day to A/B them and figure out what to keep. If you go with Apos renewed, they ship quickly if they have one and warranty it. When I buy new they drop ship it from China and I'll never wait 3 weeks for stuff from them again. Renewed is in stock in California though.

Tony_db

Thanks guys for your replies.

I am quite puzzled, because, looking at this Jitter graph (which already applies for the Digital-to-digital section), the D10 Balanced looks clearly superior, and I'd like to understand what changes in the internals:

index.php

Veri

Master Contributor
Thanks guys for your replies.

I am quite puzzled, because, looking at this Jitter graph (which already applies for the Digital-to-digital section), the D10 Balanced looks clearly superior, and I'd like to understand what changes in the internals:
Maybe better microcode on the internal processor.. in any case, both should be fine in use but D10b does seem to have the theoretical advantage.

Tony_db

Maybe better microcode on the internal processor.. in any case, both should be fine in use but D10b does seem to have the theoretical advantage.
Could it also be a matter of having transformers isolating the digital outputs? Is there a difference between the D10b and D10s, in this regard?

Toku

Major Contributor
Could it also be a matter of having transformers isolating the digital outputs? Is there a difference between the D10b and D10s, in this regard?
Both D10B and D10s have a built-in transformer for the same type of isolation. The only difference between the two models is the analog output circuit.

conuss

Will I hear the difference between with Ali?.. CM6631A.

Attachments

• H2bd780162f564ef8950c9dc380a7a319M.jpg
    H2bd780162f564ef8950c9dc380a7a319M.jpg
    327.8 KB · Views: 90
  • lj-cm6631a-interface-usb-vers-i2s-spdif-24bit192khz.jpg
    lj-cm6631a-interface-usb-vers-i2s-spdif-24bit192khz.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 95

Toku

Major Contributor
Will I hear the difference between with Ali?.. CM6631A.
This product is equipped with a pulse transformer for insulation of COAX output and two types of clock generators, and this product seems to be of better quality. However, the truth is not known until you actually use it.

tomchris

Can the D10s display - or any orange display from Topping for that matter - be rewired to appear red instead of orange?

Vlad_Bath

I can only join Matias and others asking for USB - SPDIF measurements of D10s, better yet a comparison between the D10, D10b and D10s units. I happen to have 2 dacs which have no usb inputs (Lite Dac AH with 8xTDA1543, and Weilang/Breeze SU2 with 2xPCM1794+LME), both of which I subjectively much prefer to my more modern and more expensive units (RME ADI2 FS, ProJect PreBox S2 Digital). So I'm looking for the best solution to add USB compatibility to them. So far I've tried an Aliexpress CM6631A board and found it sounding inferior even to a noname Bt5 to SPDIF bridge. I am tempted to try Schiit Eitr which got some nice reviews. However, I've read Amir's review of Eitr, in which he found regular D10 to produce lower noise floor on SPDIF. D10s's got a newer XMOS chip, however that doesn't guarantee that it's no worse than D10 was. I need to choose which D10 version (regular, b, or s) to get, and need measurements dearly (any advice is appreciated though).
It also would be great to see sometime in future a measurement based performance comparison of the usb bridges based on XMOS, CM6631A, Amanero and Schiit's Unity USB, and may be of same bridges but with different clocks (i.e. TCXO vs Crystec CCHD-957), how about that?

Veri

Master Contributor
I am tempted to try Schiit Eitr which got some nice reviews. However, I've read Amir's review of Eitr, in which he found regular D10 to produce lower noise floor on SPDIF. D10s's got a newer XMOS chip, however that doesn't guarantee that it's no worse than D10 was. I need to choose which D10 version (regular, b, or s) to get, and need measurements dearly (any advice is appreciated though).
EITR is EOL so you can probably only find it @ used market. D10b is arguably the latest/'best' iteration. But if all you need is a digital connection, it shouldn't matter.. lots of people that claim otherwise are using sighted comparisons right after spending money, perfect set-up for confirmation bias..

Last edited:

conuss

Vlad_Bath

And how long did you suffer, listening before through this board, which you purchased, by the way, for what reason?..

5mall5nail5

I've just received mine and boy do I like it. The DAC is amazing and USB-Analog is all i need, DAC-wise, and the USB to Optical/coaxial is a great bonus.
I have a Toslink running over to a Sony AV receiver hooked up to some Mirage towers for S&Gs and I have issues every now and then with it outputting over optical after having output over RCA for days.

tomchris

Topping D10s uses the ES9038Q2M DAC which has 7 presets available. Has anybody found a way/hack to select another preset than the default apodizing fast roll-off filter?

Top Bottom