• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D10s USB DAC and Bridge Review

innerPeace

Got my D10s from Amazon. The case does say "Topping" and the packaging looks genuine as well.
Plug and ply for all three outputs.
My windows automatically set the sample rate to 32 bit 48k, so I switched that to 32 bit 44.1k.

Is the sample rate number on the display suppose to stay bright the whole time? I was under the impression that it would dim after a bit if the sample rate hasn't changed in a while.

Too bad I don't really have any music file that is above 44.1k

teej

Sweet little unit. Plug and play for me as well. Had a shootout w/ an SMSL Sanskrit 10, and they're too close to call. I should probably read the manual re: how to change the sample rate...
IMG_9884.jpg

innerPeace

Ah. Drivers. OK then...
For me I didn't install the driver. I just went to sound settings and change the sample rate from 32bit 48k to 32bit 44.1k
Also got foobar2000 with WASAPI but realized I don't have any music file that isn't 44.1K so haven't seen the number change yet :p

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
For me I didn't install the driver. I just went to sound settings and change the sample rate from 32bit 48k to 32bit 44.1k
Also got foobar2000 with WASAPI but realized I don't have any music file that isn't 44.1K so haven't seen the number change yet :p
You can change sound setting to a different sample rate and see it changing to 44.1 with WASAPI.

innerPeace

I have a question about linking D10s with my speaker.

My current desktop speaker setup is
Asus Prime X470 Pro motherboard > 3.5mm to RCA splitter > Edifier S300D

I can change that to
Asus Prime X470 Pro motherboard > D10s > optical/coaxial > Edifier S300D

Which means I wouldn't have to change playback device from D10s to Speaker from Windows whenever I want to switch from headphone to speaker.
But that means I go from my mother boards' DAC to DAC from my speaker.

Asus Prime X470 Pro motherboard spec
Realtek® S1220A 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC featuring Crystal Sound 3
- Impedance sense for front and rear headphone outputs
- Internal audio Amplifier to enhance the highest quality sound for headphone and speakers
- Supports : Jack-detection, Multi-streaming, Front Panel Jack-retasking
- High quality 120 dB SNR stereo playback output and 113 dB SNR recording input (Line-in)
- Front panel audio connector (AAFP)
Audio Feature :
- Optical S/PDIF out port(s) at back panel
- Audio Shielding: Ensures precision analog/digital separation and greatly reduced multi-lateral interference
- Dedicated audio PCB layers: Separate layers for left and right channels to guard the quality of the sensitive audio signals
- Premium Japanese-made audio capacitors: Provide warm, natural and immersive sound with exceptional clarity and fidelity
- EMI protection cover to prevent electrical noise to affect the amplifier quality

Edifier S300D spec
TOTAL POWER OUTPUT
- RMS 18W x 2 + 36W x 1
THD + N
- 10%
SIGNAL-TO-NOISE RATIO
- ≥85dBA
FREQUENCY RESPONSE
- Satellites: 140Hz - 20kHz | Subwoofer: 20Hz - 120Hz
DISTORTION
- ≤0.5%
INPUT SENSITIVITY
- Satellites: 450mV ± 50mV (line-in) | Subwoofer: 180mV ± 50mV
IMPEDANCE
- 10kΩ
SUBWOOFER / BASS UNIT
- 6½ inch, magnetically shielded, 5Ω
MIDRANGE / HIGH UNIT
- 2 inch, magnetically shielded, 5Ω
TWEETER UNIT
- Φ19mm silk domed, Magnetically shielded, 4Ω

I know in the decision should be mine based on convinenece vs sound quality but wanted to ask what others would do.

teej

I run the RCA from the DAC through a headphone amp (currently Schiit Heresy), then out to the amp (or monitors in your case). That way I only have to plug in my headphones to change the output.

innerPeace

I run the RCA from the DAC through a headphone amp (currently Schiit Heresy), then out to the amp (or monitors in your case). That way I only have to plug in my headphones to change the output.

That is a possible option once I get an AMP to replace my Fiio e10k.
I would prefer to leave my headphone plugged in and also not fiddle with AMP's volume knob each time I switch between headphone and speaker though (speaker has it's own volume knob).
But I guess I don't really have a choice if I want to use D10s' DAC portion instead of speaker's own DAC.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
If the speaker is putting the analog input through an ADC to do DSP then you're probably better using the optical to the speaker anyway. I didn't spot a claim either way so you'll have to dig a bit to find out if that's what they're doing.

LuckyLuke575

Forum Donor
Wow it looks like this little DAC even blew the Khadas Tone board out of the water on the rankings

LuckyLuke575

Forum Donor
Please, someone send the Totaldac DAC d1-twelve-mk2 (three boxes, 32,500€, most probably: outperformed by this D10S).:cool:
That's when some guy either goes into massive denial or goes nuts for wasting $32,401 :)

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
I have a question about linking D10s with my speaker.

My current desktop speaker setup is
Asus Prime X470 Pro motherboard > 3.5mm to RCA splitter > Edifier S300D

I can change that to
Asus Prime X470 Pro motherboard > D10s > optical/coaxial > Edifier S300D
Honestly, unless your onboard audio starts making a racket once the GPU is being loaded, I would stick with what you have. The S1220A codec is, if anything, most likely better than what's built into the S330D. Even if you do want a digital connection, the board already has a Toslink output built-in, so no need for the D10s to provide one. Getting one just for that purpose would be a right waste of money.

innerPeace

Honestly, unless your onboard audio starts making a racket once the GPU is being loaded, I would stick with what you have. The S1220A codec is, if anything, most likely better than what's built into the S330D. Even if you do want a digital connection, the board already has a Toslink output built-in, so no need for the D10s to provide one. Getting one just for that purpose would be a right waste of money.

Main reason I bought D10s was to go upgrade from Fiio e10K to DAC & AMP combo.
The digital connection to the speaker is a feature that happens to be there, which removes the need to switch between output devices on Windows.
While I agree with what you that S1220A codec is better than what is built into S330D, I couldn't tell the difference from past week of usage.

Old setup
PC > Fiio e10k > HD 598 (8+ years old falling aprt)
PC > 3.5mm to RCA splitter >S330D

Current setup
PC > Fiio e10k > HD 598
PC > D10s > Coaxial >S330D

Future setup - waiting to buy AMP + new head phones during the upcoming holiday season
PC > D10s > Liquid Spark/L30/ifi Zen Can > 58X/6XX/560s + K361/K371/Mackie MC-350
PC > D10s > Coaxial >S330D

(PC = Asus Prime X470 Pro - S1220A)

highpurityusbcable

Something weird happened today. Everything works as before right now but still want to share.
When I came back to PC after an hour of absence and turned on the music there was no sound at all. Despite being flustered a bit I started troubleshooting step by step. Rebooted PC in case if Windows is going crazy after some update, still no sound. Connected L30 to another dac and fortunately an amp was working fine. I thought D10s has died on me for a moment, but display was working and showing correct samplerates. Checked all software settings a couple of times. Connected usb cable into another port and sound appeared again. Then connected cable into the usual port, which was being used before, and it works also.
Pointless post since everything is resolved for now but maybe someone could have a hint about what could this be, so I could prevent some problems. But this request is also dumb since there are no clairvoyants here most likely.

chmop

Rebooted PC in case if Windows is going crazy after some update, still no sound.
Seems obvious, but just in case: did you check that the selected output device was the DAC? Windows often automatically switches to the last connected device (which could explain why it came back after unplugging/plugging).
On my PC, it always selects HDMI for sound after a graphic drivers update, even if I previously disabled the output and my screen doesn't have speakers. Every. Time.

highpurityusbcable

Seems obvious, but just in case: did you check that the selected output device was the DAC? Windows often automatically switches to the last connected device (which could explain why it came back after unplugging/plugging).
On my PC, it always selects HDMI for sound after a graphic drivers update, even if I previously disabled the output and my screen doesn't have speakers. Every. Time.
Yes, there were correct outputs everywhere, nothing was changed anywhere, I really checked it. And I checked Windows logs, last update was a week ago, not today. I've also never experienced it selecting outputs on its own (1809 LTSC). That's why I called my post pointless, no idea what happened but it was sure worrysome. I wonder if USB ports can act weird like this for whatever reason.

Toku

Major Contributor
Something weird happened today. Everything works as before right now but still want to share.
When I came back to PC after an hour of absence and turned on the music there was no sound at all. Despite being flustered a bit I started troubleshooting step by step. Rebooted PC in case if Windows is going crazy after some update, still no sound. Connected L30 to another dac and fortunately an amp was working fine. I thought D10s has died on me for a moment, but display was working and showing correct samplerates. Checked all software settings a couple of times. Connected usb cable into another port and sound appeared again. Then connected cable into the usual port, which was being used before, and it works also.
Pointless post since everything is resolved for now but maybe someone could have a hint about what could this be, so I could prevent some problems. But this request is also dumb since there are no clairvoyants here most likely.
I have a question.
Did your PC sleep when you returned to your PC an hour later?
Was the D10 display showing at that time?
What do you use for your PC audio player?

highpurityusbcable

I have a question.
Did your PC sleep when you returned to your PC an hour later?
Was the D10 display showing at that time?
What do you use for your PC audio player?
No, I don't use PC sleep or hibernation modes usually.
Yes, it was just showing last played song's samplerate, as usual.
I'm using foobar2000 with wasapi event output.

Probably was a non-issue, not dac/amp error since they work as usual. But still curious about what happened.

Davide

Carry further updates on my tests with D10S.

I tested a Burson V6 Vivid with an added 4.7uF power coupling capacitor as recommended by Burson itself.

Well ... with the previous OPA1611 and MUSES8820 the sound differences could be noticed just slightly, while with this configuration a variation is more clearly perceived.

I measured the frequency and phase response, but obviously there are no particular differences. Surely these are found elsewhere, such as on transients, because by ear even if someone refuses to believe them, they are perceived ... it is not a question of awe because I listened without knowing which opamp was there (I had them replaced by a colleague).

Anyone who wants is free to try ...

For the record, I also tried a linear power supply, and despite the myth that it should be an improvement over the SMPS power supply, I haven't noticed any variation in sonic character here.
Also because the D10S has internal voltage regulators which are SMPS, therefore, powering it with one type or the other makes no difference ...

IMG_20201105_173827_copy_1984x1488.jpg

highpurityusbcable

Carry further updates on my tests with D10S.

I tested a Burson V6 Vivid with an added 4.7uF power coupling capacitor as recommended by Burson itself.

Well ... with the previous OPA1611 and MUSES8820 the sound differences could be noticed just slightly, while with this configuration a variation is more clearly perceived.

I measured the frequency and phase response, but obviously there are no particular differences. Surely these are found elsewhere, such as on transients, because by ear even if someone refuses to believe them, they are perceived ... it is not a question of awe because I listened without knowing which opamp was there (I had them replaced by a colleague).

Anyone who wants is free to try ...

For the record, I also tried a linear power supply, and despite the myth that it should be an improvement over the SMPS power supply, I haven't noticed any variation in sonic character here.
Also because the D10S has internal voltage regulators which are SMPS, therefore, powering it with one type or the other makes no difference ...

View attachment 91590
I wonder how did you listen to it without knowing if the case won't even close with that giant red skyscraper.

Top Bottom