• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D10s USB DAC and Bridge Review

Hello,
is anyone experiencing noises/interferences from the D10s when connected to an audio chain via its analog outputs?

I had exactly the same problem. When connecting Presonus monitors, I heard exactly the same low-frequency noises as in the files you attached. The monitors and computer were powered by the "KOPPLA Extender 8-seat with turn off with ground" (article number 500.864.02). When connecting monitors directly to other power outlets, the noise in them disappeared. Therefore, I removed the IKEA product and connected the computer and monitors directly to the power supply. I don't know what's inside the "KOPPLA Extender", but there was a power button and a neon light that flickered annoyingly and warmed up a little.

1600348635418.png

seashell

Should this product be added to the DAC, Speaker and Headphone Amplifier Measurements table? The older D10 is there but not the D10s.

chmop

Hi, I have questions for D10s owners.
Sorry if these were already answered in some way, I did a quick read here and some searches, but didn't find a clear answer.

It's about using the D10s behind a NVidia Shield TV (android):
- do you think the power from the shield USB port will be strong enough? I guess using it as DAC or as bridge doesn't change anything (both always on?)
- Website says "some USB port support power after PC has shut down, D10s still will synchronously power on/off with PC": how does it work? Is it only for PC? I know that Shield TV always powers USB (the shield doesn't power off, it just goes to sleep), so what will happen?

I did some tests with my E30:
- works ok with my Shield TV, well recognized, name and everything (there might be some passthrough settings I got wrong, though)
- I think E30 with auto ON/OFF works differently than D10s. It needs input signal to be unavailable (displays "Err" one minute then turns off). So on a sleeping shield TV, it never turns off automatically...

Yevgeni

Hi all, I did some un-recommended opamp experiments with the D10s and would like to share them; I tried OPA627(two opamps for dual) the result was warm and smooth overall sound pleasant to listen to a bit fewer details from stock LME49720, the second try was with OPA1656 which is going stay! with OPA1656, there is an immediate improvement, more overall details and transparency highs, bottom, mids very natural and pleasant better than stock LME49720 and OPA627, I dont have measuring equipment for technical data results, also ordered a dual configuration of OPA828 and I'll try it with the D10s, I'll update

zenon

Hi all, I did some un-recommended opamp experiments with the D10s and would like to share them; I tried OPA627(two opamps for dual) the result was warm and smooth overall sound pleasant to listen to a bit fewer details from stock LME49720, the second try was with OPA1656 which is going stay! with OPA1656, there is an immediate improvement, more overall details and transparency highs, bottom, mids very natural and pleasant better than stock LME49720 and OPA627, I dont have measuring equipment for technical data results, also ordered a dual configuration of OPA828 and I'll try it with the D10s, I'll update

Just burn-in OPA1656 ~ 60 hours.

highpurityusbcable

In your opinion the sound changes are that noticeable? My D10s is on the way and if it will arrive safely maybe I'll try to do the same to get as much as it can offer, because why not. But after searching a bit I can't seem to find any place where to buy this exact opamp.

Tiller

It is very interesting to know. I am too a happy user of D10s and thinking of switching its opamp to OPA1656. My dilemma is if it can deliver better SQ than the E30 with its built in OPA1612. I would highly appreciate any opinion!

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
It is very interesting to know. I am too a happy user of D10s and thinking of switching its opamp to OPA1656. My dilemma is if it can deliver better SQ than the E30 with its built in OPA1612. I would highly appreciate any opinion!

It will probably make you hear improvements. The magnitude will depend on your preconceived notions about the D10s and the op-amps in question. In reality there will be zero audible difference. Placebo is a powerful thing. Feel free to use it to your advantage.

Yevgeni

amir had posted a review of opamp rolling some time ago for d10 and result was that there was not benefit at all to do so

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ng-replacing-op-amps-in-topping-d10-dac.4576/
the D10 and the D10s externally similar beside the little "s" that coms after the 10, internally they are different with different specifications and so are opamps as they look similar in their packs and differ inside jest look at the datasheets especially in the linear audible frequency response of the OPA1656 it is perfect audio opamp, of course, it's my opinion and it subjective

Veri

Master Contributor
the D10 and the D10s externally similar beside the little "s" that coms after the 10, internally they are different with different specifications and so are opamps as they look similar in their packs and differ inside jest look at the datasheets especially in the linear audible frequency response of the OPA1656 it is perfect audio opamp, of course, it's my opinion and it subjective
You're not listening, he's saying that upgrading to better spec op-amp will affect next to nothing.

Not that OPA1656 will hurt anything, as opposed to discrete Burson-like amps... don't do that.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor

Good implementation of an op-amp is several orders of magnitude more important than the op-amp itself. A good implementation of any high-quality op-amp will be completely audibly indistinguishable from another. They all impose nonlinearities far, far below anything human hearing could ever hope to detect. The idea of "every component matters" is very intriguing, and I was once entranced by it myself, but it only took a minor reality check to realise that lusting for the "SQ" of op-amps is a wild goose chase.

Here's another test done by Amir: Rolling Op-amps in Gustard H20 Headphone Amplifier

Tiller

Good implementation of an op-amp is several orders of magnitude more important than the op-amp itself. A good implementation of any high-quality op-amp will be completely audibly indistinguishable from another. They all impose nonlinearities far, far below anything human hearing could ever hope to detect. The idea of "every component matters" is very intriguing, and I was once entranced by it myself, but it only took a minor reality check to realise that lusting for the "SQ" of op-amps is a wild goose chase.

Here's another test done by Amir: Rolling Op-amps in Gustard H20 Headphone Amplifier
So, in your opinion what Yevgeni hears when swapping LME49720 to OPA1656 is only placebo or better, level difference?

Top Bottom