• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D10s: Setting the correct bitdepth and bitrate on Windows

Hi guys,

I am just wondering how to set up the correct bitdepth and bitrate on Windows 10 for my beloved D10s.

Standard settings are 32 Bit 48 000 Hz, which works just fine. But when setting things to 32 Bit 384 000 Hz Spotify isn´t playing back songs anymore.
Tidal still works perfectly fine. Windows Groove-Music also works fine. However, the D10s only and always displays 48.0 PCM or 384 PCM (depending on the settings in Windows that I chose) when streaming both from Spotify and Groove-Music.

Is there an explanation why Spotify doesn´t work with the above mentioned settings? How can I change that? And is the DAC supposed to always display the same PCM when streaming from e.g. Spotify?

Thank you very much in advance!

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi guys,

I am just wondering how to set up the correct bitdepth and bitrate on Windows 10 for my beloved D10s.

Standard settings are 32 Bit 48 000 Hz, which works just fine. But when setting things to 32 Bit 384 000 Hz Spotify isn´t playing back songs anymore.
Tidal still works perfectly fine. Windows Groove-Music also works fine. However, the D10s only and always displays 48.0 PCM or 384 PCM (depending on the settings in Windows that I chose) when streaming both from Spotify and Groove-Music.

Is there an explanation why Spotify doesn´t work with the above mentioned settings? How can I change that? And is the DAC supposed to always display the same PCM when streaming from e.g. Spotify?

Thank you very much in advance!

I assume you have nothing/ little above CD quality to play?

If so, set to 16 bit 44.1khz as that will be the native rate for the bulk of spotify tracks. There is no mileage in upsampling to 384 or any other high PCM

EDIT- which Tidal sub do you have? Maybe 24/44.1

Vincent Kars

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
It works the other way round.
The setting you choose in the Windows sound panel is the one used by the DAC simply because Win resamples all audio to this setting.

Bitdepth: use the max as supported by your DAC.
Sample rate: use the one that is most common for audio = 44.1 Khz.

There are options for automatic sample rate switching (WASAPI exclusive mode) but your media player must support this.
Bit more detail: https://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/SW/Windows/Win7/AudioPanel.htm

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
HeadphoneXHunter
I assume you have nothing/ little above CD quality to play?

EDIT- which Tidal sub do you have? Maybe 24/44.1

I have that 24 Bit/96 kHz "Master"-Sub. Other than that I indeed am using nothing above CD quality.

Ah okay, than that´s the reason while using Spotify the DAC always displays the same PCM...

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have that 24 Bit/96 kHz "Master"-Sub. Other than that I indeed am using nothing above CD quality.

Ah okay, than that´s the reason while using Spotify the DAC always displays the same PCM...

Right - fairly easy then- set Tidal to Exclusive mode, volume disabled and to do the software decode of MQA- that will then pass native rates up to 24/96 regardless of Windows settings

Set windows to 24/44.1 as everything else you have will be at that or less. Like Vincent says.

OP
HeadphoneXHunter
Perfect! One more question regarding WASAPI. How do I set it up or do I even have to set it up in the first place?

Vincent Kars

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
WASAPI is part of Windows, more or less their own ASIO driver.
In the audio panel you check exclusive mode
USBAdvanced.jpg

In your media player you select WASAPI as the driver e.g. MusicBee:

Audio.jpg

OP
HeadphoneXHunter
Thanks a lot for the answers! And @JohnYang1997 for the great amp!

Top Bottom